Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bonding Worth It?
Closed Thread
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Bonding Worth It?

My initial reaction upon hearing that you could bond your squads was "cool, I'm definitely going to use that." However, as an inexperienced tau player, I soon came to realize that if I was in a position where I needed my 4 remaining firewarriors to rally, there was definitely something wrong, and odds were that 10 points would be far more effective elsewhere preventing this situation than actually being used when this situation does occur. I want to get some feedback from more experienced players about whether this is their experience too. With XV suits I can easily imagine why you would want to bond. If a player takes out 2 of your Sunforge suits, and you have one tank left to kill, you really don't have time to have a "sudden attack of common sense". However, what about pathfinders & XV15's? which category (necc. or unnecc.) do they fall into?

Note: I resisted the urge to title this post "Bondage". How many times has that joke been made?
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Bonding Worth It?

I really should write an in-depth article on bonding. The really short answer (in my opinion) is no, it's never worth it. The short answer is:

bonding requires the following situation to occur before it is even useful:
-requires the squad to have taken over 50% casualities, but not be wiped out or run down in combat
-requires a failed morale check for the squad to break
-requires a sucessful morale check to then rally

And then, even if a squad is bonded and regroups, they're often out of position, have moved and therefore can't fire heavy weapons, etc. Even if all this happens and you save your 4 firewarriors (or 1 battlesuit), what is the chance that they will have a noticable impact on the rest of the game? They're not a scoring unit any longer and can't claim objectives.

Instead of bonding, I often rely on the combination of a Shas'ui (Ld 8 ) and an Ethereal to keep my troops from running. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, meaning that 50 points spent on preventing your troops from fleeing in the first place is worth more than 50 points spent on allowing your troops to rally after they've fallen back. And now reasons why an Ethereal is better than bonding:

-Bonding only works on the squads you buy it for, Inspiring Presence works on all your squads.
-Inspiring presence reduces a squad's chance of running in the first place. This is important because even if a squad is bonded and regroups, they're often out of position, have moved and therefore can't fire heavy weapons, etc. The Aun's re-roll can prevent all of that.
-Inspiring presence allows you to attempt to flee from combat even if you pass your first leadership check
-The Ethereal gives Ld 10 to the squad he joins (useful for target selection with Pathfinders or Broadsides)
-The Ethereal makes the squad he joins fearless (useful to keep Pathfinders and Broadsides in their place and firing even in the face of heavy casualties)
-The Ethereal has decent close-combat ability in case the squad he's with gets assaulted (useful for Pathfinders who are often assaulted... combine with photon grenades and a kroot counter charge and you stand a decent chance of winning)

And honestly, a Shas'ui + Ethereal + bonding is just plain overkill and wasted points. It's generally best to pick 2 of the three... and I think I've made it clear which 2 I prefer
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to battlecraze

I have played abot 10 battles with the tau and always used the bonding. But i have never been in a situation where i needed it so i woulds say no unless you get in that situation alot
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok thanks, that confirms my suspician that its not so great.
Now, Grenades!
Photon grenades obviously don't help much if you're being charged, since you'll be slaughtered anyway, but will they add any noticable effect? Can they slow down a charger enough to be useful? (Well probably not, since you can't shoot at units in melee.)
EMP grenades (which I can't find in the 4th ed. rulebook) do what?
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Photons are not worth it in my opinion. They can be useful against similar stat-line armies, such as Eldar or Guard, where they have roughly the same stats, but worse armor saves and higher initiative. The grenades in that situation could be helpful if they always try to get you in combat because you can "outlive" them in a sense and lessen the attack burden enough to possibly match or beat them. Again marines and that sort of opponent, photons are not useful enough to warrant the points.

EMP's are useful, contrary to what most believe. They're best used on human aux, but I dispise human aux. They used to be used heavily on Pathfinder teams, because the free move and then big move in a skimmer could get them close enough to "emp" a leman russ or landraider. That doesn't happen quite as easily anymore, so everyone stopped that. They can be useful if you are low on railguns. They're especially useful if you're constantly faced with fast transport armies, and you are not mounted yourself, giving your warriors the ability to just assault the transport. However, this not really efficient since a single missile pod is cheaper and does the job better. EMP's are an option in missions where you are assaulting bunkers and stuff. They're useful in combat patrol where it may be more useful to just attack a piece of armor with them instead of fielding another unit for AT support. But under most circumstances, EMP's are too expensive and just not worth putting on a fire warrior or pathfinder team.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

proton grenades dont do anything else. emp grenades inflict a glansing hit th vecichles, i think.not sure

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

EMP- Each attacker with an EMP grenades may throw one, you roll to hit as norm. i.e. skimmers moved over 6" are still only hit on a 6, then for each that hit you roll for damage 4 or 5 = glancing, 6 = Penatrating (no mater what the AV of the tank), But they can't be used on things with weapon skill (such as defillers) unless they are imobilized
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy
proton grenades dont do anything else. emp grenades inflict a glansing hit th vecichles, i think.not sure
proton grenades may not but photon (sorry!) grenades actually can harm vehicles, crazy i know but they roll D6 + 4 vs vehicles, i was surprised by that when i read it in the warhammer rule book...not really much significance though, always nice to know however!

Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42

proton grenades may not but photon (sorry!) grenades actually can harm vehicles, crazy i know but they roll D6 + 4 vs vehicles,
Class i never knew they could do that, I only thought they took one attack away, Though when would FW's or PF's ever be in a posion to use them, There guns could do the job easyer than the grenades, still good to know
Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's my opinion that bonding is most cost effective on stealth suits, since realistically even static fire warriors should be coming under fire less often. I've had a few games now where my fire warriors set up in cover have been ignored totally, as people don't want to throw away a heavy weapon or what have you into a squad of 12 men to kill a few.
On the stealth suits though, which I use pretty heavily as front line troops due to their ability to deliver firepower with a very low chance of retribution i've noticed bonding is the way to go. They seem to always suffer the most casualities and because of the pricey investment per suit I think it's worth it. I wouldn't bother bonding crisis suits though, because they should be keeping themselves safe through their movement mechanisms, but stealth suits are often a close combat "buffer" for me because they can at least defend themselves when they get into a fist fight.
Fire warriors I personally wouldn't bother, because if they are down below 50% and are retreating, you've either just got whomped in close combat or shot up so badly your returned firepower won't dent whatever just unloaded into you.
"Instead of bonding, I often rely on the combination of a Shas'ui (Ld 8 ) and an Ethereal to keep my troops from running. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, meaning that 50 points spent on preventing your troops from fleeing in the first place is worth more than 50 points spent on allowing your troops to rally after they've fallen back. And now reasons why an Ethereal is better than bonding:"
This is a very good quote by the way. If you count up all troops you bond, and it's at least 40 you would be better off springing for the ethereal and keeping him safe. For me though, who doesn't use ethereals and prefers to overwhelm them with firepower I do like bonding my stealthsuits.
The last thing i have to add that if you're really trying to crunch your army, leave all bonding out and take an ethereal as your HQ choice. Then you don't have to blow 70 points on a suit. *I dont think this strategy would help in larger games but in smaller games I think it would definately have some applications due to the reduced squad size and the number of wounds required to start making checks.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread