Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skyray questions
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor
Default Skyray questions

I have a couple of questions regarding the Skyray (one fluffy, one rules).

First the rules question... how many Seekers are allowed to be fired in one turn? Is it really worth taking, as once they're spent, it's just down to the SMS.

Second question (which is kind of related): I think it's a bit tight that there are only 6 seeker missiles on the rack. Considering the rear compartment of the craft, i'd have thought it would house additional storage racks of missiles, which are then fed through into the top rack for launching (which could be unlimited seekers, ruleswise, or something). It's not like the compartment is needed for troops! Any thoughts on this and the structure\functionality of the rear compartment?
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Skyray questions

As many as you can mark. The skyray itself can mark two (separate) targets for itself, and then other ground troops can all in the rest.

Its still quite useful as an Anti Aircraft defense, using the FW rules mind.

The rear compartment holds target aquisition computers, which the markers use to aquire targets both land based and airborne.

Yes, it should have more, but as it is it can still be effective. Plonked down behind area terrain, it can function as previously mentiond AA defense, or precision strike for ground teams. Once the missiles are expended, remember that it is still holding a table quarter, denying Victory points, and lending support fire with the SMS.

They could have had a system where the rack on top drops down to the rear door, and a drone arm could then reload missiles, but unfortunatly they didn't. It would have been cool though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You have 2 networked markerlights. So long as you score hits you can fire 2 seeker missiles. If you get marker light hits scored by other units (pathfinders, marker light drones, Shas uis etc) then you can fire the other missiles.

Effectively you could fire all 6 missiles in the first turn.

I think it works out well the way it does. Think of it like an aircraft. Modern conventional aircraft can only carry so much payload. They don't have a missile loading system too keep weight down.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

yeah, and in theory you'd only fire one a turn if you don't use other marker lights, one shot might miss for example, , i have an imperial manticore, with four huge missiles on, thats annoying when you run out :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just to throw an interesting thought into the mix, what about the Sister of Battle Tank the exorcist. That can fire a potential 36 missiles in 6 turns.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

*shudder*

THE PAIN D:

Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:34   #7 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I couldn't agree more about the six seekers problem. I'd probably take one if it wasnt for that, but as it is a tank that can only be used at maximum effectiveness for half of a six turn game never seems worth it. To be honest I think non aircraft mounted seekers missles are a total waste of points anyway, they cost the same as a missle launcher that can fire every turn and the unlimited range is a fallacy because its still limited by the markerlights 36" range. However on aircraft I think they're awesome, as the essentially becoming off board artillery and because of the way aircraft deply you can guarantee a rear armour shot every time.

Although my flat mate is doing an indentured Elysian Army (using the D-99 list from Amphelion Project), so I may have to take one to deal with those pesky vultures and valkyries (although I'm hoping the Barracudas will be able to deliver enough of a pimpslap that it won't be needed).
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 11:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

i think there ok, but i'd rather have a railhead for the 10/15pts more (when they're both upgraded}

Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree hammerhead is better.

Stick a couple of seekers on piranhas or a pathfinders devilfish to give the units more options. But the cost of the skyray doesn't warrant 6 str8 shots. as opposed to the hammerheads railgun which can do str6 blasts or str10 single shots.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeah, i think the only reason they have it in there is because forgeworld designed it to be an aa tank,and they had there new moulding techniques so they used existing designs, i bet the snipers were originally forgeworlds ideas lol

i'd of preferred the different turret options for hammerhead, some are really good