Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vehicular deployment
Closed Thread
Old 31 Mar 2005, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Vehicular deployment

I guess this isn't so much a tactical question as one of popular convention.

I deploy my Hammerheads and Devilfish directly into trees and Difficult area terrain regularly. I simply declare them landed at the time of deployment. Since there's no roll made by Skimmers to move through or over such terrain, they therefore start of grounded and hull down (or out of LOS depending on placement) and first turn out, I move unhindered into whatever fire line I account for with that deployment.

Anyone else doing this? Does this seem too conservative?

Tau have the only skimmers that can land, so I figure I should take advantage of it where I can.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 31 Mar 2005, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Vehicular deployment

isnt landed however making the vehical not count as a skimmer any more? if so then i would fdefinately stay away from this. Being a skimmer allows only glancing hits on your vehicle, and with decoys you have only a 1/36 chance of ebing taken down by immobilisation anyway! I find that being a skimmer just gives so much survivabiliity when you have to go out into the open that taking landing gear isnt worth it....i can see the advantages of a landed vehicle...blocking LoS etc. but IMO the disadvantages outwiegh the advantages
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
Being a skimmer allows only glancing hits on your vehicle,
well only if you move over 6 inches per turn - but yes I agree that it is much better to keep skimmers moving and take only glancing hits than to take landing gear. How many points does it cost?
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

True, but I'm talking about deployment - starting off the game landed counts you as a non-skimmer while in that state. This is a benefit if in, say, a copse of trees because now I get the benefit of area terrain. Skimmers also never count area terrain and can be considered to be hovering over it. Landing gear simply allow you to move to a landed position. This is something Imperial Speeders, Waveserpents, Falcons, Raiders, etc. cannot do - no gear.
No, it's not as safe as Skimming, but if I'm doing that I'm super vulnerable in turn 1 unless I'm behind trees which are the only thing that blocks LOS to vehicles now. Level 2 doesn't cut it.

Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unfortunately, 42, being a skimmer isn't what confers the "glancing hits only" rule... it's the combination of being a skimmer AND moving > 6". So if your opponent gets first turn they can penetrate our vehicles.

AunLa, I also hide all my tanks during deployment behind LoS blocking terrain where possible. It can get difficult with 5 or 6 skimmer chassis in a large list, but I usually can make them at least all hull down. Regarding landing, I used to do this as well. Unfortunately, I realized that the only place the landing gear rules are stated is in the VDR... which are considered "trial rules". So in a tournament setting where trial rules aren't allowed, there's no such thing as "landing" a skimmer... even for the Tau. So now I don't do it anymore, simply because I prefer to play with the official rules, it results in less arguments that way.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Unfortunately, 42, being a skimmer isn't what confers the "glancing hits only" rule... it's the combination of being a skimmer AND moving > 6". So if your opponent gets first turn they can penetrate our vehicles.
maybe i should have been a little more exact then! its such common practice to move your skimmer 6" per turn (especially with tau), every turn that i didnt put that in but i know what i am talking about and i know the rules ;D

So this is talking about first turn safety...hiding from the long range AT weapons from turn 1? I just use a disruption pod myself actually but i do hide my tanks where i can, it can be hard though when you have many, it doesnt matter then if you have first or second turn as with the mult-tracker the HH can come deep out of its hiding place and still fire all its weapons! priceless! (well actually 10points!)

Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
So this is talking about first turn safety...hiding from the long range AT weapons from turn 1?
Well the title of the thread is Vehicular deployment, so that's what I assumed it meant... but you know what happens when you assume...
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 31 Mar 2005, 17:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

[quote=42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
I just use a disruption pod myself actually but i do hide my tanks where i can, it can be hard though when you have many, it doesnt matter then if you have first or second turn as with the mult-tracker the HH can come deep out of its hiding place and still fire all its weapons! priceless! (well actually 10points!)
But Lascannons are 48" range, and dropping that down to a 42" range with disruption pods doesn't cut it in most cases.

The Marines I fought the other night for example deployed weak left flank with a Predator and Dred. To coordinate fire, I had one line of fire I needed to capitalize on, but if I'd placed my units there and he got to go first, my tanks would have been in serious trouble. He was imbedded in trees himself, and I didnt' have much table between us.

D-pods nda Decoys - dont' leave home without them. But if you don't get that 6"+ move first, the enemy can shoot you down pretty fast. That's why I was wondering about other deployment conventions. If you dont' typically deploy the way I do, how do you deploy to avoid a messy 1st turn shooting phase?

Old 31 Mar 2005, 18:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

well me? i dont play total mecha tau, in 1500pts i have 4 skimmer hulls (2 devilfishes and 2 HH's). With a standard 6 x 4 board and my skimmers either tucked out of LoS or right at the back of the board the only thigns in range, after a 6" movment and taking into account Dpods are going to be lascannons....if he moves with his troop lascannons he may not fire them, and with his predator if he moves 6" he may only fire one. There is still a decent chance that my tanks are going to be able to withstand a lascannon hit....

it really depends on the composition of the opposing marine players force...3 attack bikes with multi-meltas, able to move 12" and still fire! yikes now that nasty...part of the reason i dont go totally mechanised actually, so what threats do you face (just pred and dred with lascannons?) and what is the terrain like?

Old 31 Mar 2005, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So if I am allowed to use the landing gear rules, can I legally set my fishes down behind area terrain during deployment ( out of LOS of course )? this is assuming a nice forest to hide behind-guaranteeing no shots if my opponent goes 1st.
The rule states " may opt to set down at the beginning of the movement phase instead of moving ".

???