Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The 933 point unit
Old 11 Dec 2007, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The 933 point unit

No, not a TauTitan... theres no such thing! I'm talking about the Farsight Bomb. Let me just list it, and you can think about it on your own, and make your own opinions.

Farsight: Plasma, Shield Gen, Dawn Blade, HWTL
-BodyGuard#1: AFP, PR, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-Bodyguard#2: CIB, PR, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-BodyGuard#3: PR, MP, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-BodyGuard#4: PR, MP, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-BodyGuard#5: PR, BS, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-BodyGuard#6: PR, BS, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC
-- 2 Gun Drones

-BodyGuard#7: PR, BS, TA, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC, Failsafe Det.
-- 2 Gun Drones

So, 933 points, Deepstriking, 8 plasma dice (16 rapidfire), 4 missile pod dice, CIB dice, AFP template, 12 Burst Cannon dice (ALL of them at BS4, btw), and.. um.. 14 twinlinked Carbine (pinning) shots.

Failsafe detonator snuck in there, so that when whats left of the enemy tries to charge that big-a-meata-ball, you just laugh and move 3d6" away... and reload.

There ya go, something to think about: its pros, its cons, how you would support it, etc. (I would definately take my 0-1 Pathfinder team, both for the marker beacon and added markerlight mayhem)
Old 11 Dec 2007, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The 933 point unit

pro:
-major fire output

cons:
-you DON'T want this to deepstrike (too dangerous)
-T3 majority meaning S6 is insta-death
-huge footprint, meaning it'll be hard to hide this unit or make use of its JSJ
-you can expect your opponent to gun for this unit the entire game as its worth makes it a game winner for either player (you if it's still alive, him if he brings it below half strength or outright kills it)
-no inv. saves whatsoever
-it could easily get tied up by a CC squad not even worth 25% of this unit's cost....

I'd suggest taking some shield drones instead for inv. saves

you're forced to protect this unit by playing more suits and using them so aggressively your opponent will be forced to focus on them rather than on this behemoth of a unit.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 03:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
pro:
-major fire output

cons:
-you DON'T want this to deepstrike (too dangerous)
-T3 majority meaning S6 is insta-death
-huge footprint, meaning it'll be hard to hide this unit or make use of its JSJ
-you can expect your opponent to gun for this unit the entire game as its worth makes it a game winner for either player (you if it's still alive, him if he brings it below half strength or outright kills it)
-no inv. saves whatsoever
-it could easily get tied up by a CC squad not even worth 25% of this unit's cost....
Responce to the cons:
- indeed, no argument there- yet a deepstrike would be a way to deny them the opportunity to whittle away at the unit, and if they deepstrike turn4 (positional relay can arrange this) and unload and literally chew the heart out of the enemy, what can he do from then on?
-Majority T would only hose a Crisis suit if I lost 8 drones in one round of fire, and then only if the 9th one was still a s6 shot. Not likely.
-Hide? What hide? This would more be about "yeah, ok, buddy, lets us exchange fire, you and me, and see whos left standing"
- "entire army gunning it down" was this one. hmm what to say about that? Well, If I deepstrike I get the first alpha strike, and I get to choose where to strike, and what I strike is bound to be a smear. Or several smears (TLs everywhere). Think of it as a Terminator deepstrike.. with a LOT more firepower, and the ability to target more than one thing.
-technically: O'Shovah has an invulnerable... but I preferred the 14 ablative wounds (drones, fyi) that were able to add firepower. Its not usual at all to have so many drones (or this many plasma shots), and that alone should shift everyones perspective on what this unit can do on the tabletop.
- tied up in CC?? re-read the Failsafe detonator. > Its a rarely used bit of wargear, but in this situation, it makes perfect sense.

Does this unit look a bit better now? By all means, continue discussion, as you bring up issues, and I respond, the details of this unit will be explored in great detail. So, keepem coming!
Old 11 Dec 2007, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

---dont know about the close combat so much, even if the tau are allergic to close combat. Shas`vres are still hitting on 4`s on space marines, and wounding on 3s a healthy 3 attacks on the charge times whatever farsight has to add.

Farsight does have a nice initiative 5, so it may soften up the combat a tad.

The fail safe detonator I would imagine is meant to "protect" his beefy squad from close combat sweeps as it was. (the only way to give him the detonation, is for the squad to survive, and for him to fail his leadership test.)
They need to rework the rule to be honest.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 06:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

More missile pods instead of burst cannons. I'd also swap out some gun drones for shield drones.

Overall, however, I don't think its that great of an idea. To have so many points sunk into a single unit means you'll be horribly out-numbered and out-gunned.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 07:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

definitely shield drones, ana rmy with a unit like that came close to winning gt once :P

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 12:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

14 gun drones isn't gonna add so much that you'd want to take 'em over Shield Drones in this case :P personally I'd rather take shield drones and make sure I can survive AP3/AP2/AP1 :P

You seem to assume that the deepstrike scatter will be fortunate enough to allow the arrival of 22 models, which, I think, is a little optimistic. Besides, with the range of your unit, marching across the field isn't too bad of an option anyway.

The failsafe detonator... Yeah, it's a nice solution to combat, but it seems a little underpowered to me.
Failing Ld 10 is kinda iffy too... don't get me wrong, it could happen, but it's just unlikely.

Old 11 Dec 2007, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've done it before... So much fun!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2007, 23:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
You seem to assume that the deepstrike scatter will be fortunate enough to allow the arrival of 22 models, which, I think, is a little optimistic. Besides, with the range of your unit, marching across the field isn't too bad of an option anyway.
...All I have to say is Necron lord with Veil of Darkness, and Warrior blocks. It can be done.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2007, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't face Necrons very often, you're gonna have to explain that one to me, Damian_Alpha

Another problem with deepstrike is finding a good location... In our gaming group, we use about 20-25% terrain and even then open spaces big enough to place your models in are scarce to say the least... it just seems awfully risky since such a big unit could easily be about 8-10" in diameter.