Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun Drones
Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Gun Drones

IS there any real point in sinking points into a Gun Drone squad as a fast attack. I assume you would want them because they deep strike, but otherwise why would you take them?

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Gun Drones

Yea there is a lot ;to screen units with low saves like vespid, to tie-up key close combat units so they don't attack your more important units, to pin none fearless units, to lure units into range of other units guns. And i'm sure there are many more those are just the onyl ones I can think of right now.
<-Please click!
Blue blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 03:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

One interesting use for gun drones is the suicide surprise squad. You deepstrike behind an enemy tank and fire a volley of TL pulse carbines into the rear armor- it's totally unexpected, and a great way to mess with opponents who bring tons of vehicles.

They can also be used to screen your monat crisis suits, and to tie up certain squads in combat (Obliterators, devastators, stuff that you don't want shooting at you).

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm using Gun drones on piranhas (as if they some other choice) piranha can bring the drones close to the vehicle drop them and let them fire on rear armour. It is fun to see predator turning on place to get them in los and shoving his side armour to rainguns and fusion blasters. ;D
Independent drone squadron's must have 6+ members to be effective and that is enough points to buy one or two more piranhas.
Black Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast

The main reason I take a small GD squad is quite simply it's a cheap scoring unit ( 48 pts ) . And seeing how 40K is all about Scoring Units end of the day , units like these are damn usefull .

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 09:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Best way to get them is to get 5 piranhas with fusion blasters and because you have 10 free drones drop em all on the enemy.

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper King
Best way to get them is to get 5 piranhas with fusion blasters and because you have 10 free drones drop em all on the enemy.
If this reply is regarding my post , no can do . Gun Drones from vehicles do not count as scoring units (pg 30 Codex:Tau Empire , Gun Drone entry ) .

But they do count as a unit , so they can be used to force Target Priority test's .

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wasn't, But even though you can't take objectives how does the enemy remember which squad is scoring or not?

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While I often need these points for something else, I attach 6 gun drones to 3 stealth suits and infiltrate them. I like that better than the straight gun drone squad because it's cheaper per gun drone, they're stealthed, and you have the added firepower (and leadership) of the stealth suits.

With a unit that size (at least 9 models) a bonding knife is almost required, and it's risky to deep-strike them.

EDIT/CORRECTION: For some reason I said this squad would be at least 15 models (must have been tired). It's actually nine, which is still a rather risky deep-strike.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2007, 10:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

Oh I love drones, in high point games, if I can I have 18 gun drones. three squads of six. and LIke someone said, drop them behind tanks, they do wonders. In an apocolypse game I had them deep strike between four basilisks with support of one barracuda, and then for the rest of the game no more artillery barrages for mr. heretic over there. I destroyed 75% of their artillery in one volley of shooting. Also I did one structure point of damage to a brass scorpion of khorne with drones too. gotta love rear armour 10

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote