Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need some tips for tackling the crons!
Old 08 Dec 2007, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I need some tips for tackling the crons!

Wow. I played my first game against necrons today, and long story short.... WOW.

Victorious slaughter, I didnt stand a chance. Probably because of my list, but I noticed it wasn't because of bad rolls or anything, so it must have been bad decisions on my part.

So it was a 1000 point list, and he had alot of warriors and a lord with res orb, and some destroyers, some flayed ones, and one skimmer lord (I don't know what they are called). As chance had it, I was playing him with a list I made to go up against a guard friend of mine whom I had played shortly before. My list had plenty of anti-GEQ and some anti-tank, but not much anti-MEQ.

I had no ordanance weapons! He had all his warriors right up next to his lord (the one with the orb) and I couldn't kill them! Even with the focused fire I couldnt manage to kill off the squads. His skimmer lord guy managed to pop my hammerhead with some weapon that gave him 2d6 armor pen I think (I can't recall exactly). I charged his warriors with a full kroot squad and that didnt end well, to no avail.

I may just be rambling about all the things that went wrong in our game, but could you guys give me some pointers? I want a rematch and to at least put a dent in his army this time. Out of curiosity, how did you guys fare against crons your first time?
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 19:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: I need some tips for tackling the crons!

Not Sure whether you are talking of the Necron destroyer lord (an HQ), Destroyer (fast attack) or the Heavy destroyer (Heavy support) when you talk about the Skimmer guy.

But by looking at the Necron summary sheet, clearly having GEQ stuff rather then MEQ did hinder you somewhat. They are pretty tough and their gun's are aweful...or awesome it depends on what end you are at.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 19:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I can't recall what the skimmer was for sure, but I think it was a lord...

I tried to take out the warriors by Fof-ing them, and they completely decimated the squad and its devilfish!

So Boneguard, do you know how I could possbily counter a necron army that uses alot of warriors? Is there any other way to beat a necron army besides making them phase out??? ???
Old 08 Dec 2007, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Unfortunately, still wondering the same, but I guess trying to max out on sniper drones, plasma rifles and broadsides, should help since they won't get armour save (just cover or invulnerability save).

And probably amicable dice rolls.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Instead of FoFing his warrior squads, I'd recommend standing back and shooting until he gets too close, then jumping into the fish and redeploying. Rinse and repeat. Use crisis suits (with plasma and fusion) to kill destroyers and pray he deploys a monolith. In my experience these things die really easy if you have a couple of railguns and they represent a big chunk of your opponents army and less warriors for your shas'la to worry about.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 22:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I play against necrons a lot. To tell you the truth they're definitely a tough nut to crack, but they are crackable, even with anti GEQ weapons you should be able to put some serious hurt on them.

As Walrus man said, FOFing 'crons is a bad idea, when you do it against any regular army theres a shock value to it that will definitely cause not just casualties but also a morale check. Necrons don't need to test and then after you've knocked a few down with the FOF they'll just get back up in their turn. Long range is a good idea and kroot can beat a half strength 'cron squad in combat.

The main thing you need to do against them is overlapping fire. Concentrat everything you have on one squad of warriors at a time. This way if you wipe out a squad then they can't rebuild (unless he phalanxes). If he phalanxes then remember, only models that are within 6" of a model of the same type may make a rebuild role. Necron players tend to "forget" this and so will usually go about the game making their rebuilds whenever they want. Don't let them do this.

If you have broadsides use them to either take down the monolith, if he doesn't have one then use them to double toughness kill his destroyers that way he won't be able to make rebuild roles for them.

In the end, the type of weapon you use doesn't really matter (though anti MEQ weapons are nice) its the number of shots you can load onto a single target at a time. Do what you can to make sure he can't make his rebuild roles and then start concentrating on how many models you've destroyed cause you'll soon find that he will be phasing out.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 23:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

We are both cursed and blessed when fighting necrons.

Their infantry are the hardest for us to kill, bar none. Our usual 'nibble' attacks function the worst against Necrons out of all armies.

Conversely, with our ability to take multiple rail guns, we are the race best equipped to deal with Monoliths.We don't need special lance/melta rules and we don't rely on close combat. We have a simple high strength weapon that isn't effected by all the Monolith 'my special rules are better than your special rules' rules.

From the Necrons your biggest threats will be destroyers, with immortals coming right after that. Destroyers are fast and pack an 36" range three-shot gun that not only shreds our infantry but is also one of the most effective anti-skimmer weapons in the game.Immortals are just foot versions of destroyers, with one less shot and 12" less range. Both will **** you up.

Basic warriors can usually be ignored as we can out-range them and out-manuver them with ease (barring the occasional squad being teleported around)

The target priority for your railguns should be:-

Monolith
Destroyers
Immortals
Warriors within 12"
Everything else
Wraiths

Target priority for your basic guns should be
Destroyers
Immortals
Warriors within 12"
Wraiths
Everything else

Target priority for your suits and all other heavier guns (ion cannons, seekers etc) should be

Destroyers
Immortals
Warriors within 12"
Everything else
Wraiths

Note that wraiths are a special case. Their save is invulnerable, making them very resistant against your bigger guns. Against small arms fire however they are effectively the same as normal Necrons.

Your first turn should consist of shooting up monoliths with rail guns (if your opponent is foolish enough not to deep strike them) while hitting any and all destroyers with all other weapons. Destroyers come in small groups (max size 5) so effective concentrated fire will eliminate entire squads preventing WBB roles.Seeker missiles are especially effective here.Any unit within 24" of normal warriors should attempt to redeploy.

Second turn should be you working down your priority list. Finish off any destroyers, then move onto immortals and any units that have been teleported into your lines by the veil of darkness. Accept that you opponent will either be teleporting in units with his lords veil or through deep striking monoliths from turn 2 onwards. Take it on the chin and overwhelm the isolated parts of his force.

With any luck all the ranged/mobile parts of his force will be combat in-effective by turn 3 or 4. At this point you can start nibbling at his warriors, who are easy to out-maneuver and out-range when un-supported.

If you fail to take out all destroyers by the end of turn 2 and most deep strikers by the end of turn 4, you are in for a world of hurt.

Hope this helps

Additional notes- Necrons struggle against 2+ saves in combat. A standard necron force will have power weapons only on its HQ. take advantage of this and have a "stimulant injector iridium amour vectored engines" Nin'ja'O Pattern HQ and use him to tie up in close combat any destroyer/immortal squads you couldn't quite eliminate with shooting. This can buy you some valuable time.
bratbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

One thing more; scarab swarms. The speedy little buggers are great for tying up your shooting elements (fire warriors, broadsides) in close combat, preventing them from doing hat they should be and (sometimes) beating them too. I find railgun ordinance or a well placed kroot squad are good for taking care of these guys.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2007, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A ninja'o seems like he would REALLY shine here...

But yea, ok so here is the situation: my opponent is a friend of mine who is an experienced 40k player who is just starting crons. He bought alot of warriors, a lord, some destroyers/heavy destroyers, scarabs and wraiths, thats all I can remember seeing anyway. So he definitely wont field any monoliths (darn ) and will rely on his lord for his res orb. How effective would railgun submunition be? I mean, last game he basically marched all his wariors in a huge clump with the lord in the middle.
Old 09 Dec 2007, 01:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

use railguns and buy BIG DICE (ooh i hate big dice) they both work really well against 'crons.

edited.
(three plus power armor will block all your shots but can i get over 1" of dangerous terrain...oops i rolled a one)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. cough cough anyone got a coughdrop?

shas,o,kain is offline   Reply With Quote