Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Question
Old 08 Dec 2007, 16:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Kroot Question

I really don't like the kroot, i've never used them in game but i immensly dislike the look of the models. They take away from the sleek look that the tau have in my opinion. However I get the feeling looking at their game uses that my army could really benifit play-wise if I added some...

Somy question is, are kroot worth using and if so why?

Thanks for any replies!

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Shades1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Kroot Question

Well personally I believe so. They are unexpensive and come in huge quantity (kind of a must since it has no armor save), can infiltrate, have fieldcraft (great with forest), and the hounds have excellent initiative.

So some of the uses for them:
1) Put them in terrain/ruins to give them a cover save and shoot like a madman.
2) Counter-assault (especially with hounds). Kroots are more useful to block assault rather then assaulting themselves. With their sheer number and the hounds then can keep assaulting troop tied down for a bit and probably live to tell the tale.
3) Extra fire base. When combined with Krootox (granted here you love your infiltration) they make an descent fire base to complete your tau fire warrior. This use is more useflu for a second kroot squad.

And this is with your basic kroot. I haven,t touched on the forge World Knarloc yet, since I don't have any...for now.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

From what I have gathered reading the forums, the Kroot serve two purposes in an army who's commander (i.e. you) doesn't like them.

1) Cannon fodder: use them as bait to get you enemy where you want them, to distract from the rest of your army or be a baracde to block LOS or movement of your enemy

2) Counter assault backup: it is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it, in this case they tend to just sit there, ans add a few dice in the shooting phase.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 17:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
2) Counter-assault (especially with hounds).
Hounds are 100% useless IMO. You will have kroot in cover, so if you get charged you have I10 anyway. The hounds only benefit gone. for +1 pts you can have a kroot that can actually shoot before being charged. Much better.

The only instance where the hounds I comes into acction is when the kroot charge. Of course they must charge something with at least I4 to make use of this.

Generally you do not want to assault though. One round of rapidfire is actually more effective, considering that you do not have the opponent lashing back at you.

All in all the hounds do not make up for the lack of the gun. Just take more kroot instead.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 17:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i havn't had much experience with kroot myself, but it seems like they would help to balance a tau army

as for not liking the models...
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_...p?showtopic=73

"well, look who thinks he's Clever Dan"
those who fight and run away live to fight another day
"i can't feel my torso!"
"to hell with your spoiled baby, i need those shoes!"
spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 17:38   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Quote:
Hounds are 100% useless IMO. You will have kroot in cover, so if you get charged you have I10 anyway. The hounds only benefit gone. for +1 pts you can have a kroot that can actually shoot before being charged. Much better.

The only instance where the hounds I comes into acction is when the kroot charge. Of course they must charge something with at least I4 to make use of this.

Generally you do not want to assault though. One round of rapidfire is actually more effective, considering that you do not have the opponent lashing back at you.

All in all the hounds do not make up for the lack of the gun. Just take more kroot instead.

so they

He was talking about using them for counter-assault (i.e. sitting behind the main line, mostly likely coverless) in which case the initiative becomes re-useful and shooting becomes less useful seeing as you should already have a pretty potent fireline. Besides,you can only have a max of 20 kroot per squad so hounds are a good way to get a up to 12 extra models which is always good if you've got the points to spare.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Shades1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Quote:
How do you get your I10?? I'm not saying you are wrong, just don,t remember reading this bit.

As Shade just mentionned the hound is a good way to increase your counter-assault squad to 32 models

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2007, 18:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, Kroot hounds are incredibly useful. There's a little thing called "Plasma grenades" that makes cover useless for the I10 thing. In addition, if you counter-charge something, you've got a bunch of hits that strike first. Finally, they're one point cheaper. Never a bad thing.

Kroot are pretty useful; I tend to use them quite a bit. Just stay away from Flamers, and you'll be fine.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 21:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Anything with frag grenades or flesh's are annoying to kroot. They stop assaults form most weak enemies. Kroot can be annoying to fast assaulter that are not heavily armored. ex hormagaunts. Your units will weaken down assult troops or anything annoying. They also will produce target priority checks. Ex making lascannons not be usefull. one shot for all those points and a 7point model in 4 cover can save against it. Also if your opponent bypasses your kroot and then retreats toward you you can charge in an attempt to scatter his troops. This could own low leadership units like gaunts.
Old 08 Dec 2007, 22:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I disagree Trogdor, kroot hounds are beautifully useful in just about every situation. Their Initiative bonus may not be useful if they get charged in cover, but what about the 2nd round of combat? Not to mention assault units seem to be getting frag grenades etc. standard now. kroot shooting is not bad, but that's what the Tau are their for. My kroot are their either for the charge or the counter charge. And since I usually face off against nids and MEQ's where I4+ is the norm, I usually find kroot hounds quite successful in unleashing their hits before taking wounds, allowing my reg. kroot to stick around long enough to unleash their hits at their pitiful I3. Now if your facing an army where their is not high Initiative like crons or IG, then forking out for more kroot may be beneficial, but I rarely see those, so I always take a bunch of hounds to bring the pain >.