Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flyers
Old 06 Dec 2007, 12:37   #1 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Flyers

With the arrival of my Tigershark AX-1-0 imminent I thought I post a few questions relating to flyers.

Is there really any point in arming a flyer with a disruption pod? I can't see what benefit it would actually grant, so if I'm missing something can someone tell me?

What the hell does a decoy launcher do on a super heavy flier? Super heavies don't have an immobilised result.

Can seekers mounted on an aircraft be called by ground based markerlights when the air craft is not on the table (so... at all?). Can seekers be called in before the aircraft actually arrives via its reserve roll given the seekers unlimited range (this seems immensly powerful if so)

I am I right in thinking Flyers always hit the side armour of vehicles?

lastly, does anyone know a good way to put them on flyinf stands. One of the showcase armies on the main site shows a couple of 'Cudas with what appears to be giant plastic flying bases, does anyone know how this is done or have alternate suggestions?
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 13:12   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Flyers

Quote:
Is there really any point in arming a flyer with a disruption pod? I can't see what benefit it would actually grant, so if I'm missing something can someone tell me?
Not any more. When it knocked range off, hell yeah! But now, its not worth it and has no effect. Not to mention, the shafting the Cuda got in Apoc means it lost its decoys as well :

Quote:
What the hell does a decoy launcher do on a super heavy flier? Super heavies don't have an immobilised result.
Re-roll on drive damaged. However, if FW sadly follow suit and do to the AX-10 what has been done to the Cuda, you won't be taking upgrades at all.

Quote:
Can seekers mounted on an aircraft be called by ground based markerlights when the air craft is not on the table (so... at all?). Can seekers be called in before the aircraft actually arrives via its reserve roll given the seekers unlimited range (this seems immensly powerful if so)
Under FW rules, when the flyer is placed at you table edge when it arrives, you can use ground markerlights to call in seekers in your shooting phase. Under Apoc, the flyer is basically just another vehicle, so yes.

Quote:
I am I right in thinking Flyers always hit the side armour of vehicles?
As far as I can remember, only in Apoc rules, not the normal.

Quote:
lastly, does anyone know a good way to put them on flyinf stands. One of the showcase armies on the main site shows a couple of 'Cudas with what appears to be giant plastic flying bases, does anyone know how this is done or have alternate suggestions?

Another Tau player at club made me a lathed heavy plastic base - about the same size as a normal flying base, but nearly an inch thick and shaped. Into this, I used a 5" welding rod, about 3mm across, after removing the flux. Its stable, and easy to get hold of (specially working in a steel fabrication factory ) and works brilliantly.

Word to the wise - depending on the FW Apoc AX-10 flyer rules, you are probably better of using FW normal rules. The Cuda got an utter shafting in Apoc, hopefully the AX-10 won't, but just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 13:22   #3 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Thanks alot man. I didn't intend to use the B.S Apoc rules at all... ever... for anything. So all my questions were really about the FW rules (although I'm having trouble working out how to fit 2 barrcudas 2 broadside teams and a tigershark into a single, non apoc, army list) You've helped alot. Thanks again.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 14:04   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Glad to have helped.

The joke of the Apoc rules - when we had our mega battle, my allies two Cuda died to a glancing immobolised, where if they hadn't had the shaft, they might have lived.

He was not best pleased. We just have to convince our resident Tau hater (he cannot beat them) that we are using FW rules in future. Or we beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote