Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

multi-purpose battlesuits
Old 06 Dec 2007, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default multi-purpose battlesuits

i know there a lot of crisis suit threads out there, but i couldn't find one with what i was looking for, so don't get mad at me for making another one

while i am not new to the tau, i have only recently begun thinking about crisis suit configuartions

i was thinking i would prefer a team of battlesuits that each had a targeting array a somewhat heavy weapon and an anti-light-infantry weapon

i was also thinking of having two or three teams with similar multi-purpose set ups, but different weapons

if this is not feasible or useful, i would like to know before i start on that rapid deployment force i think i'll be getting for christmas

"well, look who thinks he's Clever Dan"
those who fight and run away live to fight another day
"i can't feel my torso!"
"to hell with your spoiled baby, i need those shoes!"
spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 03:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Re: multi-purpose battlesuits

There are a lot of topics on these forums about configuring crisis suits. The all pretty much boil down to "Crisis suits need a specific plan." What this means is that if you want a crisis that deals with heavy vehicles, don't give it an anti infantry weapon "just in case." Stick to the point, don't get distracted, and for the greater good take those bastards out!

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 04:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

having taken that into account, how does this sound:
one team with BC, MP, and MT for anti-infantry
one team with PR, FB, and MT for heavy infantry and light vehicles
one team with PR, MP, and MT becuase it seems popular and i might as well try it

the last two also have shield drones and bonding knives

"well, look who thinks he's Clever Dan"
those who fight and run away live to fight another day
"i can't feel my torso!"
"to hell with your spoiled baby, i need those shoes!"
spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 07:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot
one team with BC, MP, and MT for anti-infantry
Burstcannons are usually better placed on stealthsuits as you get a significant effective points reduction . Anti-infantry as a whole is a task probably done better by non-crises units.

Quote:
one team with PR, FB, and MT for heavy infantry and light vehicles
This is a combination I went with for a long time, but I eventually dropped the fusion blaster in exchange for twinlinking the plasma rifle.

Unless deepstriking you will be hard pressed getting within the 6" needed to make the FB truly effective against vehicles. To maximise this suit against any target you need to get within 12" of it, which is usually something you don't want to do with crisis suits until moving in for the final killing blow.

The twinlinked plasma rifles gives your team better 12"-24" firepower (which is where you will be dancing until your target is crippled) and thanks to the improved accuracy you will get similar heavy infantry kills inside 12".

Twininked PR also don't need a MT to be used effectively, which means you can give them a targetting array, making them insanely accurate.

Quote:
one team with PR, MP, and MT because it seems popular and i might as well try it

the last two also have shield drones and bonding knives
Its an all round setup that lets you engage anything but the heavyest armour with a good degree of effectiveness.

I tend to use this setup with my HQ as their increased accuracy and/or ability to take hardwired equipment gives them what, in my opinion, is needed to make this setup really shine.

For my standard suits I usually try to give them a single task not easily doable by other units in my force, then give them a twinlinked main gun to perform this task.

If I'm running three separate suit units its usually

One unit with Twin linked MP and targeting arrays for engaging light tanks (normally transports) at range.

One unit with Twin linked PR and targeting arrays for engaging heavy infantry.

One solo suit with twinlinked fusion blasters for heavy tank hunting.
bratbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 13:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is:

MAGNATIZE YOUR WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT!!!!!!

Than you can experiment all you want. This is not expensive to do. All you need are one of those arts and crafts sheet magnets and just cut and glue away. Link here: http://www.tauonline.org/Article/55/...onCrisisSuits/. It's on the main site. I highly suggest giving it a read.

I've been playing Tau for close on 4 years now and I STILL experiment from time to time. Magnets make this possible.

Sorry though if you were already planning to do this, but it sounded like you wanted something permanent, so I thought I would go on a tyrade about magnets.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are other threads about this, but I don't mine giving my standard advice again. In low-point games it can be useful to have crisis suits that can do more than one job, but at the 1500 that I play it works much better to specialize. My commander's suit is Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array (he's a shas'el) and Multitracker. his job is to take out monstrous creatures and other things with armor too hard to penetrate with other weapons. I'm also a fan of the deathrain configuration (twinlinked missile pods) because it's fairly cheap, has lots of range and firepower, and doesn't miss much. The other one that's fun is a shas'vre with ABF, twinlinked burst-cannons, and MT for killing hordes.

Generally, I want one good weapon like the missile pods, or a pair of them that have similar range and AP.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 13:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love cheap suits with high strength weaponry, long range and in units of 3.

So with this role in mind I go for 2x missile launcher and flamer. The flamer is just a real cheap filler, but if the enemy does get too close and I fear I can't out run them (bikers, jump pack troops etc) then 3 flamers is not to be sniffed at for a last ditch defensive weapon. But essentially the flamer is a filler to keep points down.

But essentially i have 2 units of XV8s. Each unit has 3 suits with the above config. Thats a total of 12 twin linked str 7 ap4 shots being kicked out for just over 280pts. Not bad considering both units can dive out of the way of incoming fire with their jet pack moves.

Being AP 4 they'll deal with Elite units such as aspect warriors, stealers, stormtroppers, scouts etc.

That many shots can deal with up to armour 13.

And that many shots should down a few marines and MEQ.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2007, 17:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I plan to have 2 suits With TL fusion blasters and A small Support system and 2 suits with TL missile pods and A small support system. I may have 2 suits with TL plasma rifle with small support system

are space elfs. Of course their boots never get dirty, their stuff won't get dirty, their weapons won't get dirty, their hair won't get dirty, the aspect warriors won't get dirty, and their women won't get dirty - which is also why they are a dying race. ^-^
Farseer_Del: It was some idiot wandering in and mashing his face into the keyboard by the look of it
()__()
( x x)

dead bunny
shas ek denekai eart is offline   Reply With Quote