Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to get next, and how to fight?
Old 05 Dec 2007, 05:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What to get next, and how to fight?

Through alittle bit of spying, I managed to see exactly what my Chaos opponent has for his 500 point army, it is as follows.

2 Chaos Space Marine Squads, I dont know which guys are in squads with one another

-All of them have Mark of Khorne
-2 have heavy flamers
-1 has heavy bolter
-1 has a rocket launcher
-1 has power claw and a plasma pistol (I think this guy is a Aspiring Champion)
-1 has a banner of some kind and a bolt pistol
-1 has a chainsword and and bolt pistol
-the remaining 13 have bolters

Total of 20 Marines

1 Chaos Terminator Lord
-with a pair of lightning claws (and god knows what other powers)

This is the enemy I will be fighting, and this is what I have right now

11 Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles and Shas'ui with Pulse Rifle, Bonding Knife, Hard wired multi-tracker, hard wired target lock and a markerlight

16 Kroot Carnivores

1 Crisis Suit Commander with -

Air Bursting Fragmentation Launcher
Plasma Rifle
Command and Control Node
Hard-wired multi-tracker
Hard-wired target lock
Iridium Armor
Bonding Knife
Hard-wired Blacksun filter
Hard-wired drone controller
Shield Drone
Shield Drone

I am not up to 500 points yet, and he is over 500 but we are good friends so I will allow it and Im sure he will allow me to go slightly over. I figure I have about 80 points left to spare. I was thinking about getting a Sniper Drone team, what should I get?

Also, so far, from what he has and what I have what should my tactics be?
Old 05 Dec 2007, 06:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What to get next, and how to fight?

if its by new chaos standards

he has both

boltpistol/and bolter
ccw to boot.

(though shame on you for peeking :P oh well, all for the greater good!) hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCmdrTyler

1 Crisis Suit Commander with -

Air Bursting Fragmentation Launcher
Plasma Rifle
Command and Control Node
Hard-wired multi-tracker
Hard-wired target lock
Iridium Armor
Bonding Knife
Hard-wired Blacksun filter
Hard-wired drone controller
Shield Drone
Shield Drone
500 pts? and you dish out this amount of pts on the one commander? (decent call on the air fragmentation however, str 4 large marker shots do add up each turn)

kill the iridium armor (you want movement! none of this d6 crap)

and nextly, good call on the kroot, 16 bodies is nothing to laugh at, especially on the charge.

all in all, force your opponent to keep running to YOU, every bit of a space marine is weak when he his forced to run with his stand bolter (he is reduced to 12 inches) while you, at the same time should attack from all sides, or try to concentrate in one place and disperse.

Taking casualty after casualty with you.

no rhinos means, sitting ducks!

(wish you listed everything you had)

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2007, 07:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Well, I don't have a whole lot of experience fighting Chaos... but I do know how to fight marines. And, from the looks of it, your friend is going to be trying to pin you into close combat. Tau suck at close combat, so if he does get a charge on your infantry you will lose. Keep that in mind.

As for your list: I've got a few suggestions.

Firstly, try not to overload your commander and squad leader(s) with wargear. Yes, it sounds cool and useful, but it's generally a waste of points. I now that right now your scrambling to get a reasonably sized army, but there's better ways to do it than blowing loads of points on single models. I'll discuss exactly what you should drop a little bit later

Secondly, New purchases. I agree, a squad of sniper drones is probably your best option, and it will fit right into the static gunline that you have going on. Frankly, in a 500 point list, it's a good choice, since you shouldn't be facing any tanks and it's anti-MEQ fire power will give you an edge. The other think I think you should consider getting is another Crisis suit. Another suit will add greater mobility to your force, while giving it a more efficient point-to-model ratio. Plus, all the big guns it can tote around defiantly won't hurt. Arm it with a Plasma rifle, a missile pod, targeting array and a HW multitracker and let it do some work for the greater good.

Third, a new list. With the new models I'm suggesting added to your army, it would be somewhere in the vicinity of 600 points. This is probably more than your opponent is willing to let you go over, so you'll need to trim a few things back. My proposed list would be:

HQ:
Shas', CIB, PR, C&CN, HW MT. (125)
Elite:
Shas'vre, PR, MP, TA, HW MT (82)
Troops:
12 Firewarriors (120)
14 kroot (98)
Heavy Support:
1 squadron sniper drones (80)

Total: 505

5 points over is much more reasonable, don't you think?

Fourth, when fighting your opponent, keep in mind that his troops will slaughter yours in CC. This means you should avoid it at all costs, even to the extent of backing a squad away if one of his units gets to close. Your bet be is to pound a single squad relentlessly, then move on to the next one, etc, etc. Keep in mind that both the rocket launcher (and the heavy bolter?) are heavy weapons, and he can't move and shoot with them. If he puts both of them in the same squad, then it's going to act as a firebase, and you should try and keep your troops as much out of it's line of fire as possible. Remember, if you can rapid-fire one of his units, it can charge you next turn. Make sure it doesn't survive that long.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2007, 07:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

That heavy bolter is some bad news... might want to find some decent cover asap...

I'm not too familiar with 40k Chaos, but arn't there two too many heavy weapons amongst those 20 csm?
Old 05 Dec 2007, 07:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I dont know if thats to many heavys, but I will check. And the reason for the Iridium armor is because later, he is going to have terminators with deep strike, and I am going to need a high ap, but I will lose the target lock. Also, he has about 560 points so I will most likely get to 550.

Whats the stats on his heavy bolter? Also, whats so good about a cyclic ion blaster, its strength is 3! his guys can mostly shrug that off, even if it can shoot 5 times.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 07:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

I don't think we're supposed to post stats, but unless khorne gimps his follower's heavy bolters, they'r ap value is the same as your armor value...

CIB has 5 shots and a special deal if you roll a 6 to hit or something...

And I don't see how Iridium is going to help much against terminators... sure you get a better armor save, but you lost your mobility which is what's going to keep you out of close combat...

If you're going for 550, 2 more crisis would be good, or you might try a fusion pirahna... or you could field a couple of drone squadrons...
Old 05 Dec 2007, 11:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the good thing about the cib is the fact that 6's to wound are ap1.

...you'll need a 5+ to wound anyway...