Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to 40k and TAU
Old 03 Dec 2007, 04:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New to 40k and TAU

hi i am new to both this game and Tau. i was wondering a question about the XV8 Crisis Battlesuits. I recently bought one and was considering Twin Linked Missle Pods, but in the box I only see one pod. how do i get twin linked set? i don't see a smart missle gun in there either.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to 40k and TAU

The only way to get two sets of weapons is to get another model unfortunately. One of the easiest ways of doing this however is to buy a broadside suit, as they come with all the same parts but don't use any of the weapons (unless you equip them with plasma rifles).

Another options is to go to warstore.com (I think). They sell bits individually.

Their is no smart missile gun. A broadside has a Smart missile System, but regular crisis suits can't have that, so their is no bit included with them.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thank you very much.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 11:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Warstore is a great site, but check your local game shops first. The one I frequent has a bitz box and you can always find Tau weaponry in there, and much cheaper than Warstore.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 13:11   #5 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

If you live in the UK (or anyone for that matter) I don't use the crisis weapons because I use FW suits, so if anyone needs spare parts I'm happy to send them so long as its not international postage.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 13:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well that is good I was planing to buy a second XV8. My friend is building a 500 pt Nid army. What would a good combo for my 2 XV8's be. I have some Fire Warriors, Kroot's, a DevilFish. I am trying to figure out what would be a good combo between my 2 XV8's.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 15:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Are you planning on playing any other army's besides Tyranids ?

If not then based on what you have currently have for fire power and who you are playing against you need to think about some High AP and Strength weapons.

1) TLPR (Burning Eye)

2) PR MP (Fireknife)

3) TLMP (Deathrain)

4) PR FB (Helios)

TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2007, 01:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I was thinking of TL MP and either TL or MT. and on the Other either TL Flamer or TL Burst Cannons and either a TL or MT. opinions. yes i will most likely be facing my friend's Nid's or a SM army in 500 Patrol games.
Old 04 Dec 2007, 03:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV88-2 Pilot
1) TLPR (Burning Eye)
2) PR MP (Fireknife)
3) TLMP (Deathrain)
4) PR FB (Helios)
can someone explain these to me.
Old 04 Dec 2007, 03:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaraven
I was thinking of TL MP and either TL or MT. and on the Other either TL Flamer or TL Burst Cannons and either a TL or MT. opinions. yes i will most likely be facing my friend's Nid's or a SM army in 500 Patrol games.
The target lock isn't going to be that useful with small squads and low point values. I rarely give one to anything but a broadside team-leader or a stealth suit with Fusion Blaster. Multitrackers are useful, commonly hard-wired so they don't take a suit slot, if the two weapons you have work well together. Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, and HW MT is a good commander suit for taking down Monstrous Creatures or vehicles. The twinlinked missile pod configuration (known as DeathRain) is an excellent multi-purpose build. Lots of hits, excellent range, and surprisingly cheap. You could fill the third slot with a Targeting Array, but I usually keep the cost down and give them a flamer for a sidearm. Fusion Blaster or Plasma Rifle are also possibilities if you need an occasional armor-piercing shot. Against horde armies (lots of cheap models, like Tyranids), my favorite is the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (ABF) and twinlinked burst cannons, again with HWMT. Note that since the ABF is a Special Issue weapon, the suit has to be piloted by a Shas'vre or better.

To answer the question you posed while I was working on this one: Burning Eye and such are old shorthands for particular crisis suit configs. It saves time to name them as long as everybody is familiar with the names, but I tend to assume that not all readers are.

shorthand description
TL PR, Burning Eye: twinlinked Plasma Rifles
PR MP, Fireknife: Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod. usually with multitracker
TLMP, Deathrain: See above: twinlinked Missile Pods
PR FB, Helios Plasma Rifle and Fusion Blaster. Again, usually with multitracker.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote