Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV Numbers
Old 01 Dec 2007, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default XV Numbers

Hi there!
I don't know if this is common knolwge or not, please feel free to completely ignore if it is, but I've worked out a naming system for battlesuits. They start with XV, obviously, then there are 2 numbers. The first one tells you the approximate shape of the 'suit.
1=Bulked up Firewarrior

2=Bulked up firewarrior with bigger jetpack and curved head, able to take 1 support system + 1 weapons system

3-7=? Make up your own!

8=XV8 shape, bulky chest and big jetpack.

9=?

10=Titan! See post http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=55513.0 for an example of an XV10 battlesuit.

The second number is what I call a 'designation' number and can give you a clue as to what the 'suit does, here are the ones from Forgeworld and the codex:

1=Smart missile system, for commanders (preferably)

2=Currently in development

3=Make up your own! My one for this is 3=Technical repair suit. (just look at my post at http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1058456162 , and change the XV24 to XV23

4=With additional spine mounted markerlight and target lock.

5=Stealth projectors

6-7=Make up your own! I'm sure there are things for these numbers out there.

8=Heavy weapons designation. I've always wanted to try this for a XV2 suit, with a rail rifle!

9=Built for commanders, more heavily armed and defended than standard suits.

Well, there it is, hopefully useful for any budding Battlesuit designers out there! If anyone knows any good examples of the '?' numbers, please link or tell me, i'd be interested to know. Mabye something in BL novels?

Thanks,
Shas'O Bar'Naby
Old 01 Dec 2007, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: XV Numbers

I'm not sure about 1 and 2. Although I've heard the novel Firewarrior states that XV1 is standard Fire Warrior armour, the disparity between it and XV15 armour is too great for them to be the same mass class (and Fire Warrior is a dubious source of fluff anyway). And 2 is definitely not just a "bulked up" Fire Warrior. They're huge compared to the 1s.

I've used the '7' for the designation number, in my XV17 Dawnfire battlesuit. It's in the house rules board, after someone recently threadomancied it from oblivion.

What other made-up battlesuits have people come up with, and what numbers do they use?

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

We have this thread: Suit Numbers: Explanation from a while back that explains our theory on it. There's also some discussion in this thread where I posted my thoughts on it.

The first number is essentially the 'mass class' of the suit - 1 is the lightest suit, 8 is the heaviest. the second number represents the variant/configuration number.
Old 02 Dec 2007, 18:06   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hi!
Ok,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
I've used the '7' for the designation number, in my XV17 Dawnfire battlesuit. It's in the house rules board, after someone recently threadomancied it from oblivion.
Yes, I agree, the 2 suit is alot bigger. I like the idea of saying the 7 means it's being used bu another race. People have come up with all sorts of made-up battlesuits, many of the designation numbers not really meaning anything else, and the battlesuit just being able to take a different weapons choice. I think people should just make up rules for the weapon, then apply it to an existing battlesuit, such as an XV2 with a rail rifle-kind of thing would be an XV28, heavy weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
We have this thread: Suit Numbers: Explanation from a while back that explains our theory on it. There's also some discussion in this thread where I posted my thoughts on it.

The first number is essentially the 'mass class' of the suit - 1 is the lightest suit, 8 is the heaviest. the second number represents the variant/configuration number.
I like the theory about the production, but some of the numbers clearly stand for something else.

Thanks,
Shas'O Bar'Naby
Old 03 Dec 2007, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
I'm not sure about 1 and 2. Although I've heard the novel Firewarrior states that XV1 is standard Fire Warrior armour, the disparity between it and XV15 armour is too great for them to be the same mass class (and Fire Warrior is a dubious source of fluff anyway). And 2 is definitely not just a "bulked up" Fire Warrior. They're huge compared to the 1s.
The Fire Warrior novel never, ever mentions that.

The game's load/save screen is the thing that mentions it, which is the much more dubious fluff source (the game said the year was 2002.M41...)...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

I don't know why this causes such a problem. Its in the codex under the entry for the XV 22 (not shadowsun) that the first number is mass class (size) and the second number is battlefield role.
The FW ones are messed up fluffwise because the Tau work on a Octavial number system (base 8 for americans), so we could really assume that the XV classifications are the designations the humans give to the Tau suits.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 16:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O Check'Sa Bar'naby Kias
1=Bulked up Firewarrior

2=Bulked up firewarrior with bigger jetpack and curved head, able to take 1 support system + 1 weapons system

3-7=? Make up your own!

8=XV8 shape, bulky chest and big jetpack.

9=?

10=Titan! See post http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=55513.0 for an example of an XV10 battlesuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
I don't know why this causes such a problem. Its in the codex under the entry for the XV 22 (not shadowsun) that the first number is mass class (size) and the second number is battlefield role.
The FW ones are messed up fluffwise because the Tau work on a Octavial number system (base 8 for americans), so we could really assume that the XV classifications are the designations the humans give to the Tau suits.
This about sums it up - if the Tau assign numbers to their suits, 8 and 9 should be out of question.
Eight should be 10, and nine 11.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 21:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Maybe, but because Tau started off with 'XV8' (which in Octal isn't correct) - I'd assume we're using decimal here, thus 'XV89' is fine.

And as above, I never saw anything in neither the Fire Warrior game nor the novel about the Mass Class 1. As Doombringer said, I wouldn't find the game as a reliable fluff/canon source at all, given its plot line.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 18:37   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

OK...
I've never read or played firewarrior, so I wouldn't know. It dosen't sound very reliable! As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
This about sums it up - if the Tau assign numbers to their suits, 8 and 9 should be out of question.
Eight should be 10, and nine 11.
I don't quite get this as, as mace said, the tau started out with XV8. Also, the XV88 has another 8 in. I get the 9 from forgeworld, and as their books are at least 1/2 fluff, they seem quite reliable. You're right about the tau seeming to use a 'base 8' number system though, so this dosen't make much sense. Mabye it's because they on;y have 8 fingers, so naturally invented an Octavial number system, like we did with our fingers.
Thanks,
Shas'O Bar'Naby
Old 06 Dec 2007, 04:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Who knows, maybe they start counting with '1' instead of '0'? That would make 1-8 perfectly legitimate for Mass-Class numbers, though the '9' from the XV89 suit breaks that theory. It could just be that the numbers are imperial designations based on the mass of the suit and the different variants, as in the Taros Campaign from all the variants that the Imperials observed.