Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

batrep, or how did this happen?
Old 01 Dec 2007, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default batrep, or how did this happen?

Alright, this isn't gonna be a batrep up to my usual standards (it's gonna be a bit shorter as I don't have all of my opp's list and I've probably forgotten some of the details) but it should be a fun read anyway.

This afternoon I played against my little brother, 1000 pt, at first it was gonna be Marines (me) VS Orks (leaked dex), but since I'm new to Marines and didn't have the patience to write up a list, I switched to Tau. Fearing a one-sided battle, he switched to Blood Angels instead.

Eh. Long story short: 2 Devilfishes, Hammerheads, 1 Fireknife 'O and a lone Broadside with Shield Drones apparently kick the **** out of 2x 5 assault marines, 6 deathcompany and a Dreadnought (twin lascannon, venerable, extra armor) as I wiped the floor with him.

Understandably, he was a little upset, as he's got the most experience and has the unusual cocky attitude that he'll win no matter what.
That attitude is fine when facing my regular list (which in any points limit has 2 devilfishes and 2 hammerheads) using dark eldar (averaging at LEAST 8 dark lances + an x amount of blasters) but apparently when he runs a cc army, me setting up 2 hammerheads in 1000 points is "cheesy" with no possible excuse.

Also it's my fault he didn't bother to factor in my playstyle :

Anyway, enough beating around the bush.
He went "crying" to a friend of ours, an Eldar player, whom he talked into making his list as anti-tau as possible so he could stomp me to show me what a sin against the game it is for me to set up 2 hammerheads in 1000 points (and up) games. (I don't even bother explaining anymore that I feel 2 Hammerheads is essential, especially in a take-all-comers list).

The game:
1500 point Gamma level Recon

The lists:
I didn't know exactly what my opponent would field, but I was certain it'd be designed to kill skimmer tanks dead and show me what a horrible player I am for using skimmers. Feeling a little agigated I threw all my common sense out the window and fielded this:

HQ:
Shas'O (shield gen, command/control node, missile pod, stim injectors
Ethereal, 12x Honor Guard (drone controller, 2x shield drone, 'ui, bonding knife)

EL:
XV8 (twin missile pod, shield gen)

TR:
6 Fire Warrior (bonded, EMP)
6 Fire Warrior (bonded, EMP)
6 Fire Warrior (bonded, drone controller, marker drone, Photon)
11 Kroot
11 Kroot
10 Kroot + 10 Hounds

FA:
Piranha, Fusion, Targetting, Seeker

HS:
XV88, Targetting Array
XV88, Targetting Array
XV88, Targetting Array

That's right. No skimmer tanks, just 3 horribly expensive kites of death and 81 inf. models >_>

Note: both the piranhas and the broadsides were fielded separately, so all FA and HS slots were occupied.

My opponent was shocked to say the least and this was his list:
HQ:
Autarch on Jetbike

EL:
Wave Serpent with 5 Wraithguard + warlock? (6th model)

TR:
6 Rangers (pathfinders)
Wave Serpent with something

HS:
Fire Prism
Wraithlord w/ flamers, Brightlance

FA:
Vyper w/ Starcannon or something.

I could see my brother's hand in this design but I shrugged it off.

Deployment:
it was rather simple... Broadsides and Piranha in left, middle and right field, everything else in the center, kinda bunched up and hugging the table edge with my kroot infiltrated <3

my opponent kept his skimmers hidden, rangers took refuge in the woods, wraithlord and avatar stayed out in the open (but only to a few units), Autarch was hidden as well.

Now, I was mucking about a lot with this list and I made it fully expecting it to be walked over with ease (I have 0 confidence in Kroot. This hasn't changed even after this monumental battle), because of how slow my army was. I also made sure to point out repeatedly that he'd want to kill my Ethereal asap cuz that would be pretty much an instant win for him.

You heard me. I did everything in my power, short of throwing the game, to tip the odds in his favor. My reasoning was that I wanted to prove how necessary I find Hammerheads to be as they're the backbone of any mobile Tau army.

Unfortunately the dice gods played cruel jokes tonight.
...That or SOMEONE wants me to perpetually be wrong.

My friend got first turn, so let's get on with the show!
Turn 1:
Eldar:
the skimmers all popped out of cover and even the Autarch turboboosted across the field. The Wraithlord came out to play, as did the Avatar.
Shooting was.. well... horrid. The rangers tried to shoot my Broadside, failed their TP and between the 6 of 'em, managed to kill off 1 whole Kroot (of 1 of the 11 man squads). The Vyper and a Wave Serpent also took aim, but failed miserably. The Fire Prism tried its luck with my leftmost Broadside, but I passed the cover save. (Hurray for walls). Wraithlord shot its Brightlance at... something, but didn't do much.

Tau:
Rightmost Piranha zoomed up to the Autarch, who was unsupported.
Leftmost went to have a chat with a Wave Serpent
Middle just went for the woods in the middle of the field

my full 11 man Kroot went into the woods towards the Avatar for some rapid fire goodness, while the Hound squad fanned out behind it to avoid large blast massacres. Suits jumped out of cover and then I started shooting.

-Fire Warriors destroyed the Vyper outright with 1 volley
-Kroot shoot 1 wound on the Avatar
-Piranha + Broadside (middle) shake a Wave Serpent
-Broadside (left) shakes the Fire Prism
-Piranha (right) kills the Autarch instantly

I was a little shocked to say the least but we continued.

Turn 2:
Eldar:
Annoyed, my opponent withdrew the Fire Prism and shaken Serpent back to their original hiding place. The other one advances, as does the Wraithlord. The Avatar is within charging range of the 11 man Kroot squad no matter what DT result he rolls. Wraithlord needs a 6 to make the assault.
Shooting sees the Wraithlord kill 4 Kroot (fried), the Wave Serpent kills my rightmost Broadside and in assault the Avatar killed 3 Kroot as well, though they held their ground. The Wraithlord couldn't reach my Kroot, so he stood still.

Tau:
I decided the Wraithlord had to die, or I'd be in trouble, so the middle Piranha zoomed up close, the left broadside had Railgun LoS, the middle one had SMS range, my suits had missile pod range and 1 fire warrior squad could see him too. The rightmost Piranha zoomed up close to the advancing Wave Serpent and readied its gun, while the leftmost zoomed towards the Avatar. The Fire Warrior squad that downed the Vyper earlier marched forward for the mission objective.

Shooting:
-Broadside shoots a hole in the Wraithlord with its Railgun
-Piranha fails to do the same
-Fire Warrior squad (6 shots!!!) shoot another hole.
-Broadside #2 empties its Smart Missile System to finish it off.
-Piranha on the right manages to shake the Wave Serpent.

Assault was even more crazy as not only did the Kroot hold their ground (with 3 kills on their side, no less), but they managed to inflict another wound! They had now killed half an Avatar and I thought they'd served their purpose now.

Desparation was apparent on my opponent's face as neither of us could believe he was actually LOSING this battle.

Turn 3:
Eldar:
The Wave Serpent advanced further and made it into my deployment zone, although its butt was pressed against size 3 impassable terrain.
The Fire Prism and other Serpent were good to go again so they came out to play. The Wraithguard got out of the Serpent, aiming for my Piranha as the Fire Prism wanted Kroot blood.

Shooting saw my leftmost Piranha destroyed, my Honor Guard lose a Shield Drone and a single Shas'la and 2 Hounds and 2 Kroot got done in.
In combat the Avatar finally broke free and killed off the remaining Kroot, walking out of the woods again 4", away from my other Kroot squad.

Tau:
Well... things got ugly... The rightmost Piranha returned to take a side shot on the wave serpent, the suits jumped out to take care of the other one, the Kroot/Hound squad marched 6" towards the Avatar, easily making it to charging range as the leftmost Broadside readied itself to shoot the Fire Prism again...
The Honor Guard moved 6" forward for the mission objective (no available targets), as did 1 of the EMP squads.

Shooting:
The Markerlight Fire Warrior crew lit up the Wave Serpent like a christmas tree. I promptly used the light to have the Piranha shoot it with BS5 (in hindsight a rear shot from a Seeker Missile on the other piranha would've been better but eh), it hit, glanced and destroyed the wave serpent with a single shot, since the passengers had nowhere to go they were lost too.

I prepared to shoot the Fire Prism as well, but my opponent was too depressed to continue and forfeited the game. I assured him nothing was wrong with his list, he'd just gotten some rotten luck.

Anyway, that's the game... :\ in the end he only had a full ranger squad (that I ignored), Avatar with 2 wounds, full Wave Serpent/Wraithguard squad and a Fire Prism left, while I had everything minus 1 Kroot squad, Broadside and Piranha (and some killed models here and there, but not enough to even bring them down to below half strength)

This game baffled me, but I'm not about to play static like this again any time soon :\
Old 01 Dec 2007, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: batrep, or how did this happen?

Well, in this case you just take it to show your better playing skill. If you lost, you could have used it to prove your need for Hammerheads. Its a win-win situation.

Good work.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea, though my brother managed to twist this to "see? Kroot aren't so bad."

little brothers can be such a pain -.-" all my Kroot did was inflict 2 wounds and die.
Old 01 Dec 2007, 03:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I feel your pain. Luckily, I have a sister, so I can just ignore her and her barbies 8) Though it might be nice to have someone to play 40k with.

He refuses to accept the reality that they accomplished nothing?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

he refuses to accept the notion that he could be wrong :P
Argument over 2 Hammerheads in 1000 pt:
"2 Hammerheads are overkill!"
"You know, I could just as happily field 3..."
*laughs* "What? What the hell has that got to do with anything?"

Aftermath of the Eldar battle:
"I should not have won this battle, I just got extremely lucky"
"See? Kroot aren't as useless as you claim them to be."
"... You're right, so to be a good sport, I'll just go ahead and never use them again, since they're so powerful it'd be unfair for me to field them."

What bugs me most is that if he'd have been playing DE against me earlier today, he wouldn't have made any claims about my mech Tau list being overpowered or cheesy >_>

It's not the first time someone of my gaming group cried cheese because of the armies I field and coincidentally it's only ever when I win convincingly.

The fact that most of the time I lose because I want interesting games has nothing to do with it ofcourse :

I mean, against my brother it's very easy to just stick to a 6" deployment zone, field as little inf. as possible and use SMS's up the wazoo to make his units walk, but that makes for boring and onesided games.

Which reminds me:
I'm not allowed to use tactics anymore =D
The above tactic is the logical plan to follow for an army that gets shredded in CC, but since it shuts down my brother's DE army almost completely, I can't use it without being called a coward. :
next thing you know I won't be allowed to seek out and kill anything that can break my skimmers because eliminating weaknesses is such a cowardly way of playing... :\
Old 01 Dec 2007, 12:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You know its funny, a friend of mine plays DE, but i've never had any trouble beating it with mech tau, those cardboard skimmers are just to easy to take down, especially with deathrain suits (one with flamer, 1 with target lock), they can easily down 2 raiders per turn : )

Unfortunatly, he recently switched to IG, so ill have to rethink my tactics, a bit, at least until i take out his basilisk, from there, it should be pretty easy to just zip around, taking pot shots at him, until i've reduced his squads to non-scoring status.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 16:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

heh well when my brother fields DE our armies are perfectly balanced, we know exactly what to expect and how to react making games between us simple dice-offs :P
Old 01 Dec 2007, 17:20   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
heh well when my brother fields DE our armies are perfectly balanced, we know exactly what to expect and how to react making games between us simple dice-offs :P
So then throw the infantry hoard of doom at his DE...just for shit's n giggles.
bratbag is offline   Reply With Quote