Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can tau vs tau work?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Can tau vs tau work?

Out of all the times i have played with me tau, i have never played another tau player. But i did last weekend. It was probably the most boring game i have ever played. all the happened was two armies shooting each other. i won, but it seemed to be to do with my army list. When i tried to move, my transports just died.

I wonder if this is just my experience, but have any of you played a good tau vs tau game. Can it be done?

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2007, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Can tau vs tau work?

Spring close combat!

I tried driving my shas`o in my first tau tau game, was a one man wrecking crew, and survived two rail gun blasts, before stalking the hammer head and blowing the crap out of it.

Make it interesting, dont rely on shooting itself.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2007, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The only way those games can be much fun is if one player is going to advance aggressively on the other's lines. Doesn't necessarily mean getting into assault (you can if you want), but moving for a superior position. I have had a couple Tau on Tau matches, and yes they are the most boring out there, but the person who was the more mobile always came out on top.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've had a few Tau on Tau games, against two different people.

David has a Mech Tau List, I play Hybrid. The scenario required that we deploy our mandatory troops choices and our Hq, and everything else in is reserves.

A few highlight of that game were my crisis suits deep stiking, splitting fire, and taking out a Hammerhead and a devilfish; a Hammerhead Deul; and A squad of drones deep striking and taking our a shas'o in hand to hand(Frisbee death).

Mike plays Static Tau( , I know). That game was a tad boring. His Skyray did a whole lot of nothing, as did his ONE broadside. Once I got a hold of a flank with close range FoF, the game was more or less over from half his force being unable to fire through the forest. Of course it was interesting to see what My submunitions do to my own troops choice(I felt like a jerk).

So, as Darkside said, Agression carries the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 06:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've only played one tau on tau game and actually found it a lot of fun. Kroot chasing stealthsuits, stealthsuits assaulting an ionhead, ionhead stalking some battlesuits, battlesuits slaughtering fire warriors and fire warriors exchanging shots while advancing from cover to cover. The highlight was the drawn out close combat between two evenly matched Shas'O's and their bodyguards. The balance was (surprisingly) tipped only when a squad of fire warriors was thrown into the fight.
It was interesting seeing crisis heavy hybrid vs skimmer heavy hybrid.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 06:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've only played against one Tau army and I moped the floor with the guy. He'd been playing tau for a month and I've been playing tau for five years or so. Thats pretty much the only reason I won I think. He had the superior list but he didn't know how to use it. I killed everything in his army by turn 4. I figured if I played to my best ability then he'd learn a thing or two. Unfortunately he hasn't learned a thing and believes that broadsides can move in the assault phase. The worst part about it is that he isn't even a little kid or anything, the guy is at least ten years older than I am and probably hasn't read the codex or the rule book.
Old 01 Dec 2007, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primo

After playing IG, and Necrons (Played both in a Static way, though with both, I made hunterteams- Counter Charge teams) I decided to go "back" to Tau, and make a somewhat mobile shooting army-

I've only played 1 Tau vs. Tau, and its with the latest army I made, and even though he was quite static, I found the game to be quite amusing, seeing that we played an objective map, with 5 objectives placed, and _heavy_ amount of terrain, close to being city fight, although not city fighting rules-

I only found it a good game due to it wasnt just stand still and shoot, but you had to move to get in there, and thus he lost quite the advantage, that I could slowly move in, and take more and more down on my way.

Personally I've gotten to tired of completly static armies, seeing how they will hardly ever win anything (Most rely 100% of killing a majority of the enemy within P2, or they _will_ loose, even to a single unit.)

Hybrid-Mobile shooting is teh shit<3

4 Massacres
5 Solid
2 Minor
1 Draw
0 Losses

Armies Played:
Tyranid, Chaos, Space Marines, Necrons, Daemon Hunters.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 20:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Actually,* could someone tell me what it's like for a Tau army and an IG army to face off against each other? It that any fun? Because they're both supposed to be shooty armies, and IG isn't as mobile as a Tau army so they're mostly played as static.
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 22:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've only played one game against IG (however, this kid didn't have much of a grasp of tactics, starting with what are these tactics you speak of? and how can I get me some of them?) and it was not fun. The whole battle was pretty much summed up with; pathfinders get fried, battlesuits jsj and avoid incoming fire, 2 full FW squads with devilfish FoF repeatedly up the flank, I win.
It would have been a more entertaining and challenging game however, if he had any mobile elements eg roughriders, armoured fist squads.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2007, 00:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey, thanks for the response.

Conversely, what is it like to watch or even play in two hardcore assault-themed armies squaring off against each other? Whenever I talk to, for example, a gaunt-heavy Tyranid player or a Khorne-dedicated Chaos player, the only thing I ever hear from any of them is how fast they can get their models across the board and charging into close combat. Well, what's it like to watch two armies like these just directly crash into each other before the first turn is even over? Or do I have it all wrong and it's not like that?
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote