Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep] Tau vs Orks, 1500: The battle for hab block 235 (lots of pics)
Old 29 Nov 2007, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Batrep] Tau vs Orks, 1500: The battle for hab block 235 (lots of pics)

This was my first game in a few months, (well, aside from the apocalypse megabattle nonsense), so it was quite refreshing, even more so to be battling with Cities of Death, against an army I’d barely ever seen before, and never played against. It was arranged in advance, but I didn’t do anything to tailor the list, as I prefer to keep with my standard balanced air cavalry list..

Lists:

D'yanoi 20th Air Cavalry Shas’Nan Cadre

HQ:
Shas'el D'Yanoi Shas'Nan “Fireblade”
Helios
Targeting Array
HW Multi Tracker 97

Elites
Ui'Kais'Ka
Deathrain
Hw Multitracker 73

6 Stealth Shas'ui 180

Troops:

12 FW
Ui'B'kak
DevilFish
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launcher 225

12 FW
Ui'Law'La'Vazz'a
DevilFish
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launcher 225

Fast Attack:
8 Pathfinders
Ui'N'au
DevilFish
Smart Missile System
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launcher 221

2 Piranhas
Targetting array
Decoy Launchers
Fusion Blaster 150

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun
Burst Canons
Target Lock
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launcher 170

Skyray
Smart Missile System
Target Lock
Multi-Tracker
Decoy Launcher 165

Total :1496

Strategem: Rapelling Lines

This is the best I can put together, since I’ve never played against orks, and don’t have much to work with to tell what is what.

Orks:

HQ:
Warboss
Powerklaw, Big Choppa,
Bionic Arm
Truck
Armour plates

Elites:
5 Tankbustas
Nob
KFF

Troops:
10 Trukk Boyz
Nob
Rokit
Trukk with Rokit
Armour plates

10 Trokk Boyz
Nob
Big Shoota
Trukk with Rokit
armour plates

Fast Attack:
2 Buggies with Heavy Burnas
Armour Plates

7 Storm Boyz
Nob

Heavy Support:
Looted Leman Russ
Armour Plates

Looted Lascanons
4 ammo runts

Looted Autocanons

3 Killa Kans
Armour Plates
Rokkit Launchas

Stratagem: Ammunition Store

This was my first game in a few months, (well, aside from the apocalypse megabattle nonsense), so it was quite refreshing, even more so to be battling with Cities of Death, against an army I’d barely ever seen before, and never played against.

The mission we rolled was an alpha level High ground. In this case, the high ground was the multi story building in the center of the table, which was to become known as the Grot Acid Rave building (following a disastrous move by my fire warriors...). The rest of the terrain was not set up as per normal CoD however, and buildings were actually fairly spread out in the table quarters. (Long side is N-S, short side E-W, with North being the wall...)

Deployment: I won the roll for choosing quarters, and chose the corner with the biggest building. My opponent then placed his ammunition dump in the small ruin near the edge of his deployment area.

My deployment saw me place my skimmers as far back as I could, covering them up as best as I could. The stealth suits deployed in and around the ruins at the North end of my deployment Zone, and the pathfinders were place more or less in the middle, with good firing lanes for anything coming from either side of the building.

The orcs set up with all 3 trucks revving up ready to come at me from the north with buggies in close support, while looted auto canons took position in the small ruins (ammunition dump) to the west of table center. Killa kans were placed just in front of them. The Storm boyz, and tankbustas deployed in the center of his quarter, while the looted lascanons and leman Russ stayed back in support mode.

I got first turn, and decided I’d rather take the initiative as best I could.

Turn 1
Tau:
Piranhas scoot north, hoping to get the range on the bosses truck, and deploy the drones. Stealth suits move in close to support. The devilfish both move towards the building in the center. My two heavy skimmers and warfish both head west, to engage the threatening looted autocanons and killa kans, supported by my Deathrain. My Shas’el also moves closer to the objective.

Shooting sees a wad of markerlight hits on the looted lascanons. I take off all cover and lay a pie plate, killing 3. The PF warfish then manages to finish the rest. The Skyray lights up the killa kans, but misses or couldn’t penetrate with both its seeker missiles. The deathrain then proceeds to kill one kan, and immobilize a second. On the other end, the piranhas, though only one is in range, manages to immobilize the bosses Trukk, jettisoning the single occupant (forward, in this case). The drones and stealths unleash hell on the Boss, but 22 shots yield only a single wound. This is when I realized that I should have simply used the stealths to blast the truck and then kill the boss with some insta-killing fusion goodness, or maybe even totally ignored the boss and knock out as many troublesome trucks as possible. Oh well, too late.

Suits all jump back to safer positions.

Orks:

The boss, undeterred by his violent ejection, advances towards my Piranhas, as do the Trukks and Warbuggies. The Killa Kan, the only remaining one that can move, ducks 4” closer to the building, hoping to hide from my tanks. The leman Russ, Lootas, and Tankbustas stayed still,while the Stormboys started advancing on the building.

Shooting was fairly eventful, the warbuggies started the action, melting away my four gun drones. The Trukks (with their occupants) then blasted away one piranha, and disabled the other. On the other end however, his lascanons and Leman Russ did not accomplish much.

His boss did assault my remaining Piranha however, hitting it once, destroying it, while at the same time giving himself some nice 4+ cover, and blocking my LoS.

Turn 2:
Tau:
My Tank Conga line kept up the pressure, beginning to round the building, with the Deathrain in support. My Shas’el, unable to see his intended target, the boss, kept close to the central building. The FW devilfish closest to the objective boosted 12” to the top, and the troopers inside rappelled out, and 5 promptly died from the dangerous terrain roll. That is where the whole “acid rave” thing came about :P. The other devilfish, deciding against repeating the same manoeuvre, moves north, to flank the oncoming Trukks, along with the stealth suits. The pathfinders, with nothing to shoot at, hold back and hunker down in their cover.

Now I have a dilemma... I should use my remaining seven fire warriors to shoot the boss and hope to kill him. Or, I can use 5 and try to kill the two warbuggies, one of which, the looted piranha, I had placed right at the top of my kill list (defamation of proper Tau equipment!). So, I shot the buggies, and they both died, happily for me. The devilfish and Stealths added to the carnage by destroying the buggy with the Rokit boyz, and 3-4 boyz. West of the building, the Skyray lit up the Leman russ, and blasted away a couple of stormboyz. The Hammerhead then powered up its big gun, hit the enemy tank ... and barely scratched the paint. The deathrain, warfish and devilfish than combined to finish off the last killa kan. My suits then all jumped back to safer positions.

Orks:
The boss, elated by his victory over the piranha, carefully walked over to the stealths. The remaining Trukk disembarked its boyz and moved over to take a potshot at my devilfish. The storm boyz and trukk boyz both advance into the building, and the storm boyz lose 1 to the acid rave... The rest of the army stays put.
Shooting is bad for me, as the single potshot from a rokkit knocks out my devilfish, killing 2-3 fire warriors in the crash. To the west, the tank and lootas combine to kill my skyray. The boyz take a few potshots and remove a wound from my Shasel.

Assault sees the boss reach the stealths. He kills one, but they stay to fight another turn. The storm boyz get into combat with my firewarriors at the top of the objective, killing two, and getting stuck in.

Turn 3:

Tau:
My remaining armour tried to push my advantage on the western flank, advancing headlong towards the enemy, and the suits moved in support. That is all.

My pathfinders were now in a good position to light up the boyz in the building, completely removing their cover saves. This allowed my warfish, commander and the hammerhead burst canons to bring them down to the nob. The devilfish shot up a couple of tankbustas, though the deathrain did nothing. The hammerhead did put a railgun slug into the leman russ, but true to form, I rolled a 1 to penetrate.
The assault saw nothing happen in either combat, as it was nothing but a draw.

Orks:
The formerly entangled ork boyz work their way to my downed fire warriors. The tankbustas shuffle about a few inches.
Shooting this time is not so effective, on the western flank, my devilfish is shaken. And that is about all for shooting.
The trukk boyz manage to assault my fire warriors, which I had incautiously disembarked all around the devilfish, rather than all to the rear. They kill three and the rest flee. The boyz then regroup into the stealths and boss combat, which is deadlocked again. The storm boyz actually lose combat to my fire warriors, losing one storm boy, though they still stay.

Turn 4:

Tau:
I shuffle around my suits and tanks a bit, and that’s about it, as everything else is in close combat. Shooting is barely worth it, as I kill all but two tankbustas, I kill a couple of lootas, and that’s about it. This time, my hammerhead misses completely.

My stealth suits are now completely overwhelmed, and the boss massacres 6” towards my pathfinders. The storm boyz combat is again, inconclusive.

Orks
The boyz rush to the building; the boss heads straight towards the pathfinders. Shooting resulted in my hammerhead being shaken. The nob from the first trukk boy squad is finally able to fall back (he had been stuck in the building, moving only 1.5” a turn, not even enough to go down a level). He manages to mob up with the other ork mob. In assault, the boss makes it into combat with my pathfinders and kills 3. The rest decide not to flee and stay stuck in. At this point, I believe my firewarriors finally managed to defeat the remaining storm boyz.

Turn 5:
Tau:
I vectored in my two active tanks to kill off the tankbustas and lootas, while my commander and other crisis head east to deal with the oncoming trukk boyz. Once my guns are silenced, there were no more tankbustas left, and I had managed to kill a few lootas, and I killed all but three remaining trukk boyz, who began fleeing through the objective. And then, of course, combat between the boss and my pathfinders was drawn.

Orks:
The boyz fall back a few inches, while the leman russ finally begins moving up a few inches. The lootas manage to kill my hammerhead, and the battle tank spelunks two of my remaining fire warriors, bringing them below scoring. The boss manages to kill a couple more pathfinders, though they foolishly remain in combat. Oh, and the Trukk we had both forgot about shows up near the objective, itching to kill something with a rokit.

Turn 6:
Tau:
Basically, I had few options remaining, and my devilfish and warfish kept up the pressure on the lootas, killing the remainder. My commander tries to get in range of the tank with his fusion blaster... but decides a single shot with a strength 8 weapon is not worth it. So he takes a couple of shots at the fleeing boyz. The deathrain takes a shot with his twin linked missile pods at the pathetic little trukk... but barely scratches the paint. The two remaining fire warriors don’t do anything. In assault, the boss finally kills off the rest of the pathfinders and massacres towards the objective.

Orks:
The leman russ makes a mad dash towards the objective, but wrecks its tracks on the first killa kan it comes across. The Trukk shoots at and misses my deathrain, leaving it up to the boss to charge the full 12” right up to my suit and kill him.

Result: DRAW!

Wow.. so an interesting game. Orks are an interesting army to play against, and I will definitely be changing my tactics a little the next time. For once, I seemed to be way too aggressive, and should really have simply hung back a bit, especially with my tanks, and fire warriors. These were committed far too early. I suppose this merely comes from the lack of games lately (no real game since a Hall of heroes tourney with tyranids back in july... Another thing I should have done was move my pathfinders back a bit... but I was always hoping for a chance to shoot the boss or boyz with them.

Also, my opponent never seemed to roll less than 5-6” on difficult terrain rolls, definitely a good thing for getting stuck into combat. Which brings me to my next point: while it might seem like it was a good thing that my Tau held up so well in combat... it wasn’t. Aside from my fire warriors fending off the storm boyz, it seems I lost all my battles at precisely the wrong movement. The fact that all combats were lost (2 by massacre... with a 5-6” massacre move afterwards) during my turn, meant that the boss and boys could then move and incredible 18” unchecked before I could even get the chance to shoot them! Oh well, it made for a closer game :P It would not have been as fun if my commander had plastered the boss like he was supposed to :P

Note: I was going to add fluff and stuff to this... but this makes about 6000 words typed today what with school and a battle report and all... time to take a break :P

Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Re: [Batrep] Tau vs Orks, 1500: The battle for hab block 235 (lots of pics)

Excellent BatRep, and the pictures were great. Your army is painted very well!

The only suggestion I can make besides the ones you already made for yourself is that Kroot would have helped you immensely, esp. in a cityfight like this. You could drop one of the FW squads with the DF and add, for 225 pts + the 4 pts left over, 32 Kroot. I would split these into two squads of 16, and then use them as you see fit; two squads, not only being mandatory with 32 Kroot, is also more tactically flexible. Unfortunately since it was Alpha they couldn't Infiltrate, but normally they can. Even then, they would have given you excellent counters against the few Orks that remained to make it into combat with you.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2007, 03:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: [Batrep] Tau vs Orks, 1500: The battle for hab block 235 (lots of pics)

While they might have helped, I only have 12 Kroot, and no intention to buy anymore. This is a Mobile Infantry Tau army, and I plan on keeping it that way :P

No, I believe most of my problems arose from simply misjudging distances, and taking a couple of chances I should not have. It doesn't help that I had not played a serious game since July, while my opponent had been playing a game a day (or more!) all week to practice for a tourney... :P
In any case though, even though it was no help to me, it was nice to see the Tau do so well in combat (actually, it was more like the Orks doing so badly :S)
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote