Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IZ DA TAU RELY DAT TUFF?!?!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default IZ DA TAU RELY DAT TUFF?!?!

Most tau players seem to agree that, for the most part, the orks are the easiest of all the armies to beat with the tau. The question I have is will that decision last much longer? Games workshop is almost ready to release their new ork codex and models. Does this mean the orks are about to get that much more beefy and become the new anti-tau? I don't have the best connections when it comes to getting new war hammer info before it comes out so I figured I would ask here.

Does any one know of any new ork special rules, strategies, or models that we who server the greater good should brace for or AR DA AL POWAH'FUL ORKS just about as tough as they are now?

I know people start getting mad if anyone describes specific point values and stats and rules to their full extent so don't worry about being too specific. Descriptions like "lots more boyz", or "better close combat", or even "fear the new orks" would be just fine.
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: IZ DA TAU RELY DAT TUFF?!?!

Please, avoid the all-caps thread titles.

From what I've seen of the new Orks... not really, no. A huge increase in the number of footsloggers available, but they're still very vulnerable and their vehicles are paper-thin.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had always imagined the cult of speed would easily run over the conventional static tau.

No matter how many shots, you need to make them count, orks apparently have no issue fielding numerous bodies.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 00:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait, people actually play static Tau :sadnshocked:?

I'd be more terrified of running my AV10 vehicles at a wall of S5 death than at a bunch of enemy Skimmers. Skimmers I can handle - sort of - with Zzap guns and plenty or Rokkits. Trying to force my way through the gunline from hell? Another matter.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 00:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Wait, people actually play static Tau :sadnshocked:?

I'd be more terrified of running my AV10 vehicles at a wall of S5 death than at a bunch of enemy Skimmers. Skimmers I can handle - sort of - with Zzap guns and plenty or Rokkits. Trying to force my way through the gunline from hell? Another matter.
If you have numbers, and the speed, and flexible deployment, any static line can be beaten. The thing about attacking from one side is, youll be too predicatable and often the easiest to shoot to death.

What if someone attacked from three fronts? division of fire would ultimately cause the 25% of your army that does something, to get in and reak havoc.

wouldnt the tau simply concentrate its firepower towards the middle?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Concentrate the fire where nesseccary.
Shooting the middle only makes sense if that is the most intimidate threat.
although that 25% of an ork arm is likely to do some damage, the time spent in combat will give the tau player a chance to regroup the fireline, and pick off any non combatants.
when the orks get caught out of combat, they will die.

I Lost.
C4nnonfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 07:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Actually, KoS was never a problem for my Mech Tau. Even under the new rules, a Trukk full of "da Ladz" comes in at, what? 160-180 points? Exactly as much as a FoF squad.

Thanks to their paper-thin transports - and an aundance of S7 shots - after one-two turns, most of the enemy army was reduced to footsloggers again...

But, then of course, being an upstart Ork Warboss myself, I ned to find a counter to Mech Tau myelf now... :P

Don`t get me started on a static fireline - there`s just too much than can ruin your day - 2-3Trukks speeding up in front of your army. Yes, you can - and WILL destroy them. But they will leave wrecks, which block LOS. Oh, and there are new rules for Orks whose vehicle is destroyed...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Having played with the leaked ork dex I believe from the mech Tau's point of view there are going to be number of serious threats.

1.Lootas. The new looters get d3 autocannon shots each (d3 is rolled for the squad rather than individually). 30 autocannon rounds comming your way from a single squad (which can be taken multiple times) are going to be...painfull for any skimmer.

2.Grabber claws. A vehicle upgrade that gives an ork vehicle a 50% chance of pinning an opposing tank in place for the next turn. Goodbye fast glancing rules.

3.Gyrocoptors. Ork jetbikes that can be equipped with a selection of antitank goodness....not to mention powerklaws.

4.Nob bikers. T5 bike units with a 4+cover save and the ability to have feel no pain. Lots of mid-strength dakka and very fast.

5.New waaagh rules. Gives the orks fleet of foot for one turn in a game. Including weirdboyz gives you the chance to use this more than once (fleeting grounpounders= less room for points denial tactics). Two weirdboyz gives you a good chance of fleet every turn. If good old ghazzy himself is included you get a free 'super waaagh' on top of these other waaaghs that gives you an instant roll of 6 on your fleet (waaghs cannot be combined in the same turn though)

These wont mean 'instant death' to mech tau, but should provide a slightly better balanced fight ;D
bratbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 14:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whoops... rereading my post I have no idea what I was thinking. Preferring AV12+ skimmers to a 30" gunline when I have a 31" charge radius.

Less early-morning posting for me...
Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:03   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbag
Having played with the leaked ork dex I believe from the mech Tau's point of view there are going to be number of serious threats.
Indeed. Had been fighting Roks these days, seeing what they can do in the new codex.

Quote:
1.Lootas. The new looters get d3 autocannon shots each (d3 is rolled for the squad rather than individually). 30 autocannon rounds comming your way from a single squad (which can be taken multiple times) are going to be...painfull for any skimmer.
Actually if you max them out they can have a potential of 45 shots. But nevertheless, I never seen so many shots on a single rhino before.

Quote:
2.Grabber claws. A vehicle upgrade that gives an ork vehicle a 50% chance of pinning an opposing tank in place for the next turn. Goodbye fast glancing rules.
Although it can stop skimmers, but you have to reach the skimmer first before you can use it. With Tau it is not wise at all.

Quote:
3.Gyrocoptors. Ork jetbikes that can be equipped with a selection of antitank goodness....not to mention powerklaws.
Never faced them before so no comment.

Quote:
4.Nob bikers. T5 bike units with a 4+cover save and the ability to have feel no pain. Lots of mid-strength dakka and very fast.
Put all the nobs with powerklaw and you will have alot of dead skimmers. Half my vehicles are wiped out by those pesky things that just will not die.

But I have found a way to defeat those dam Nobs. Markerlight them and take away their cover save before you template them with a railgun sub munitions.

But be careful of those Nob Bikers with Cybork body as well, as they are even tougher than the normal Nob bikers.

In addition, it seems that the Orks now have a lot of anti-marine pie templates, and that made them a force to be reckoned with again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote