Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis Team Configuration, but is it worth it?
Old 28 Nov 2007, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Khornate
Default Crisis Team Configuration, but is it worth it?

I was looking through my Tau codex yesterday, thinking about how I might get some anti-infantry firepower in my Battlesuits and I came up with this Crisis Team.

Elite Slot 1:
Crisis Team
Shas're:
-Twin Linked Burst Cannon
-Flamer
-Hard wired Drone Controller
-Hard Wired Multi Tracker
-2 Gun Drones

Shas'ui:
-Drone Controller
-2 Gun Drones

Shas'ui:
-Drone Controller
-2 Gun Drones

Total point cost for the Team comes to...190 points

The Team as a whole puts out 15 S5 shots a turn at 18" and boasts one flamer template for baddies hiding in cover. Amount of wounds? Not bad at 12, with either 2/3 or 1/2 chance passing a save.

The question ,however, is will this hold up in an actual game? 190 points for 12 wounds and 15 shots? To be considered...

DRK
Old 28 Nov 2007, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Crisis Team Configuration, but is it worth it?

Not worth it.

The Gun Drones lower the suit`s T to 3.

The footprint of the unit makes it difficult to hide behind terrain.

All it offers are S5 shots, which are already prevalent in a Tau army.

IF you want to field BCs, use Stealths - you get 18 shots for 180 points. Much better. Much cheaper. Way easier to hide.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2007, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
IF you want to field BCs, use Stealths - you get 18 shots for 180 points. Much better. Much cheaper. Way easier to hide.
Yeah, you generally want to set up your Crisis suits for roles that your other units can't do or can't do as well. In other words, you generally wanna load out your Crisis with weapons the rest of your army can't field/ can't field much of, like Missile Pods, Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters.

Floob

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2007, 23:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

One of my crisis teams has burstcannons. Its a two man team with plasma rifles, burstcannons and multi trackers. They give a good account for themselves and are efficient at killing Geqs and are surprisingly good at taking down Meqs too.

The unit you're thinking of fielding is just a little too much. You're spending a ton of points on something that doesn't look to be that effective. Though my squad probably doesn't look that effective either. To each their own I suppose.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 02:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Khornate

Thanks for the Advice all. The Unit did seem a little Iffy at first sight to me to, but it was a way to make use for all the drones you get in the Rapid Insertion Force, thought I might have given it a try.

One other question, How does a Burst Cannon and Cycilic Ion Blaster Shas'O for a HQ do?

It has 8 shots, but many being at S3, and only getting the useful AP1 on a 6.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 08:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, you get 8 shots. But on the other hand, the only thing this suit is REALLY good at is killing light infantry.

To be honest, I`ve so far never faced a situation where such a Shas`O would come in handy. All the day, I seem to be fighting Marines - loyal or traitorous, good or bad - it`s like an endless swarm of genetically enhanced, power armored super-soldiers descending upon the hapless Tau-Empire. All I can do is kill them, but for every Marine I strike down, two more seem to pop into existence. Forget the threat of the Tyranids; the endless, mindless swarms of Marines which costantly invade our Empire will be our downfall!

As you can see, I need some heavy duty "persuaders" to keep them at bay - for me, it`s PR/MP/FB (pick two). I have no time dicking around with S5 AP5 on my Crisis, it`s the heavy stuff all the way and back

BTW, my Commander is usually the only Crisis armed with two weapons - all other suits usuall have TL`d and TA`d weaponry, for a maximum of accuracy. Since the Commanders are already BS 5, they can wield two, of course.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I'm with Bonesaw on this one, I can't speak enough of Twin-Linking your primary weapon on your normal Crisis Suit, particularly when it comes to those critical one-shot weapons, like Plasma and Fusion. Targeting Array is okay, but I would much rather have a 75% chance to hit than a 2/3. Another great thing is too, T-Ling is usually cheaper than than the Targeting Array. PR is the most at a 10 pt difference, but again, 75% is better than 66%, and it's most common complement for me, the Missile Pod, has two shots, so I'm still good most often.

Also in regards to what Bonesaw has said, I don't prefer to mess with the CIB or Burst Cannon on my suits, Commander or no. I just play way to many Marines or Eldar. I do load up the AFP in my 1700+ lists, but as far as GEq-killing firepower that's specialized, that's it.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 14:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

More agreement here. Crisis suits need to be able to take on the big stuff, particularly heavy infantry that gets an armor save better than 5+. I use TL Missile pods in as many suits as I can manage, and my commander has Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Multi-tracker.

The only exception to the "AP 4 or better" rule for the crisis suits is my shas'vre horde-killer. I give him TL Burst Cannons, the Airbursting Frag Projector, and a multi-tracker. I deep-strike him next to an appropriate unit, and he kills a bunch of them. Of course he often dies in the next enemy turn, but he's already done enough damage to make it worthwhile.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2007, 15:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I only ever find the CIB good against Tyranids, which I play against most of the time. If your not against Tyranids then PR's and MP's are definetly your best bet as a crisis with a burst cannon is practically 3 fire warriors where you pay extra points for the jet pack and +1 on a few stats.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2007, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey, on the topic of Tau vs. Tyranids, I heard that the 18' range of BCs and CIBs makes XV8s really susceptible to assault. How much truth is in that?

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote