Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Drones
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Sniper Drones

Quick question here - I'm utterly confused over this. In every pic I see of Sniper Drone Teams, the spotter is some distance off in the background while the drones meander freely, but I cannot find any rules support for this. I have also found instances of people refering to sniper drones getting jetpack moves although the spotter obviously cannot make these moves. The question is this - do the drones need to retain coherency with the spotter or not? I think they do, but that's not what seems to be the case... It'd be awesome if they didn't though. Any help???

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum
Default Re: Sniper Drones

Yeah, they need to remain in coherency with the spotter, so they can't go zooming off on their own. Would be nice if they could, but alas, they cannot.

Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Sniper Drone Teams are Infantry, and are subject to those rules. Only the other drones can assume the the unit type they are attached to to get Jetpack rules. Also, as a standard Infantry unit, they must maintain the standard 2" coherency. You have apparently run into the problem a lot of newer players run into: basing decisions on the pretty pictures in the rulebooks. As most vets know, the vast vast majority of pictures, even ones specfically detailing rules, are often not correct in their execution, or at the very least not realistic. The other thing you have to realize is that most pictures in codecies are not created by the rules, merely mildly influenced by them, if that. They are what are called "dioramas": that is, pieces of art using models and terrain and the like to create said art, often with the goal of creating a scene from elsewhere in history or from one's own imagination, or even other artwork. Thus is the case with most of the pictures in the Tau Codex, particulary the front and back pages, but also throughout.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So I thought. I would not have brought it up but I recently ran into a tactica that described how the sniper drones could make use of the ever useful jetpack to get to a better position.

And damn the Tau codex for leading me on... 3 free-flying drones and a girly hiding spotter trying to get my hopes up.

It's just the same thing as those stupid winged Hive Tyrants, which I swear can only take 1 biomorph due to being winged, much like the gargoyles, and Forgeworld only models 1 weapon on with the wings, but there are no rules I can find to support it... It's just so confusing!

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you look closely the Picture of the pathfinders in the Tau Codex has more than the maximum allowed number of rail rifles too.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

GW Pictures are often a bit silly... and illegal. Even in the Tau codex, they have illegal configurations, in the back cover IIRC.

As above, they must maintain 2" coherency with the spotter, and the don't count as Jet Infantry - so no jetpacks.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 15:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you loom at the rules you'll find that unless the unit is a gun drone squadron then the drones must maintain unit coherency with the unit of the model with the drone controller

I imagine GW just want to make their pics look cool