Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Megaforce - worth it?
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Tau Megaforce - worth it?

So - simple question: is the tau megaforce worth it in your opinion? Iv'e been toying around with the idea of starting a tau army, and the battleforce looks like an unbelievable deal.

For 100 I could get:

2 Crisis Suits,
3 Stealth Suits,
20 Fire Warriors,
6 Gun Drones,
3 Piranhas,
a Devilfish APC
and a Hammerhead Gunship.

With a saving of 50 if I bought it individually. Not bad.

Im assuming you can downgrade the hammerhead into a regular Devil fish. And use the spare cannon available in the hammerhead sprues to make the APC into a hammerhead. That gives me a very flexible list as far as I am concerned - mounted firewarriors, or sit back and slog away with 2 good tanks. Using the drones and stealth suits to harrass parts of the enemies army that they though was safe, and the pirahnas can be used as a fine rapier and tackle tanks and high toughness or armoured creatures such as 'fex's or terminators.

Am I missing something here? It seems for 100 I can start a perfectly legitimate army that seems very solid.

Opinions?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau Megaforce - worth it?

Well, the Hammerhead could double as a Devilfish (check out the topic on the Conversion-boards), but you won`t get two Hammerheads out of the box.

Sure, you`ll have one spare gun, but the main problem are the weapon mounts (both of the main weapon and the sponsion weapons).

For future tank investments, buy the Skyray. It costs as much as the Hammerhead, but has more parts in it, and you can make every other Tau tank out of it.

But you`re right, you get a compeltely legal army with the Megaforce, and definitely worth it.

Feel free to ask away if you have any questions.

Ah, one more thing: Welcome to the Tau boards, Shas`El

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: You SHOULD be aware that there aren`t any barely-dressed ladies in the average Tau army, though... Although there are some interesting female Ethereal Conversions out there, and one could make a Clan Escher Gue`vesa unit any time... Ah, the posibilities... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:15   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Okay - a few questions about the army then:

Carbines or Rifles? I like the idea of the mobility of the carbines, but the ability to fire away at a good range with the rifles.

How much finesse do you need to play the army? Are they closer to eldar, or imperial guard.

How about "mega" Vehicles? Im so very tempted to build some of those Tau Titans on the conversion boards for a massive centre piece.

am I the only one that does't like the railgun turret?

Quote:
Ah, one more thing: Welcome to the Tau boards, Shas`El
You invaded my turf, I thought I would return the favour.

Quote:
You SHOULD be aware that there aren`t any barely-dressed ladies in the average Tau army, though... Although there are some interesting female Ethereal Conversions out there,
Trust me - Im way ahead of you. It's the reason why I plan on taking the ejection system thingy. Bionic blue women FTW!

Quote:
and one could make a Clan Escher Gue`vesa unit any time... Ah, the posibilities...
Where are the rules for these? It may be my chances to cannibilise my guardsmen that haven't had any love for a while.

[hr]
and thanks for the reply - people don't seem to talk to me anymore
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
Where are the rules for these? It may be my chances to cannibilise my guardsmen that haven't had any love for a while.
I personally am a fan of the human helpers, here is the link to the current rules on them: http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/tau-auxiliaries/

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Carbines or Rifles? I like the idea of the mobility of the carbines, but the ability to fire away at a good range with the rifles.
Most people prefer the Rifle, since pinning isn`t that great. Besides, it isn`t the range of the Rifle that makes it outstanding - its the Rapid Fire.

Lots of people run their Firewarriors mechanised in a Devilfish, and then Fish of Fury into the enemy (i.e. drive up to the enemy, disembark the Firewarriors behind the APC, then rapid fire into the enemy). Works with Carbies as well (especially since you`re farther away from the enemy), but you don`t have the sheer volume of shots - and trust me, it is worth seeing the jaw of your opponent drop if you announce that you have "24 S5 shots now" (possibly guided by Markerlights).

Quote:
How much finesse do you need to play the army? Are they closer to eldar, or imperial guard.
Difficult to tell - since the arrival of the "Holofalcon", I wouldn`t put Mech eldar in the "finesse"-department, either...
The basic tactics are rather easy to grasp (Jump-Shoot-Jump, etc), but as your opponents learn your tactics, it gets harder. You won`t be able to win without finesse, that`s for sure...

Quote:
How about "mega" Vehicles? Im so very tempted to build some of those Tau Titans on the conversion boards for a massive centre piece.
Fluffwise, the Tau "Titans" are the Mantas - large walkers are unknown to the Tau. Though if you want to build one, no one`s gonna stop you,

Quote:
am I the only one that does't like the railgun turret?
I`ve fielded it for a long time, especially since the submunition is just great. Nevertheless, it is just a single shot with a Marines BS, so you miss 2 out of six turns - not what I espect from a near 200points monstrosity. Ionheads, on the other hand, are far cheaper, and can pump out nine shots every turn (with BCs) - enough to mow down about 3 Marines a turn, on average.
I played pure Mech, until I re-discovered the joy of Broadsides... they`re just too cool to be true, and two of them with a duo of Shield Drones, ASS and in cover are nearly impossible to get rid of.

Quote:
and thanks for the reply - people don't seem to talk to me anymore
This won`t be a problem here... we talk to everyone. Even Wargamer (basically, we`re afraid that he - somehow - has found out where we live, and that he`d slaughter us in our sleep if we would ignore him...). ;D

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:43   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
I`ve fielded it for a long time, especially since the submunition is just great. Nevertheless, it is just a single shot with a Marines BS, so you miss 2 out of six turns - not what I espect from a near 200points monstrosity. Ionheads, on the other hand, are far cheaper, and can pump out nine shots every turn (with BCs) - enough to mow down about 3 Marines a turn, on average.
Im not on about the stats of the thing - the stats make my jaw drop whenever I look at it - I just can't stand the aesthetics of the thing.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 00:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

The megaforce is arguably the best value out of all the boxed sets, for 100, it saves you 57. The Battleforce saves you ~25, for 50, and the big Army Box for 300 only saves around 80. So, megaforce is a great deal!

Downgrading the Hammerhead to a DF is fine, you just swap the turrets and the front burst cannon/targeting array (see the modular tanks link in my sig). You'll also have the parts to give one Devilfish the SMS upgrade.

I'd usually prefer to take Ionheads over Railheads, though when I have multiple Hammerheads, I'll take one with Railgun just to be safe.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 01:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This an excellent box set. Your going to need at least one more Railhead. I am also not a big fan of the Piranhas but I guess with Fusion Blasters, they should MELT something!

As mentioned in the post, Pulse rifles are the way to go, I don't know how many times I have been told " 30" that's just not right!" and the few times I played with and played against Tau with carbines, they just sucked.

You can create a decent list here. I will tell you, with just one Hammerhead, it 's going to get shot down, sorry. IT will be. That is the only weakness I can see with this box set. Its like throwing out one tank, it will have a massive bullseye on it.

I have been playing for while now at different points so here are my two cents.

750 points (good starting point to learn the army)
One Railhead, maybe a broadside.

1000 Railhead-BS

I will recommend to you that you start by playing 750 to 1k games, your box set can handle that and be VERY competitive.

1500 Railhead, Railhead, and BS team or Single BS (not sure depends how many Piranhas you use, your playstyle and opponents)

1750 Railhead x 3 (My current list has three)

I will say that the mobility of the DF and Hammerhead will win you games. While I call it a "tactical retreat", your opponent will call it another turn of getting hammered!

If you have a good rating on ebay sell 1 or 2 of those Piranhas and get yourself another Hammerhead.

And make sure you make the weapons on the battle suits replaceable/magnetized

good luck

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 02:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Megaforce is a great place to start.

Here is a 1k point list I just threw together using nearly all fo the models in the Megaforce. It does go over by 7 points however, so you might need to drop a Firewarrior or something.

HQ
Unit cost: 97
XV8 Shas'el
--- [Missile pod, Plasma rifle, Targeting array, HW Multi-tracker]

Elites

Unit cost: 62
XV8 Shas'ui
--- [Missile pod, Plasma rifle, Multi-tracker]

Unit cost: 90
3x Stealthsuit 'ui
--- [Burst cannon]

Troops
Unit cost: 220
10x Fire Warrior 'la
--- [Pulse rifle]
Devilfish
--- [Burst cannon, SMS, Landing gear, Decoy launchers, Multi-tracker, Targeting array]

Unit cost: 100
10x Fire Warrior 'la
--- [Pulse rifle]

Fast Attack

Unit cost: 140
2x Piranha
--- [Fusion blaster, 2x Gun drone, Targeting array]

Unit cost: 70
Piranha
--- [Fusion blaster, 2x Gun drone, Targeting array]

Unit cost: 48
4x Gun Drone
--- [TL Pulse carbine]

Heavy Support
Unit cost: 180
Hammerhead
--- [Railgun, SMS, Landing gear, Targeting array, Decoy launchers, Multi-tracker, Target lock]
-----------------------
Total model count: 34
-----------------------

The only thing missing is 2 Gun Drones.

The first thing Id personally get after getting the Megaforce would be to get a box of 3 Stealthsuits to bulk the unit up to the max of 6.

After that its up to you and your play style.

Hope Ive been of help,
Matthew
Old 27 Nov 2007, 04:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Technically, he'd be short a second SMS with just the megaforce to start with. I started with a Megaforce, A Rapid Insertion Force, and some extra Tanks from theWarStore. I'm looking to get another Battleforce soon and some bitz to turn some of the extra Crisis into Broadsides. Overall, I'm really happy with the jumpstart the Megaforce gave me. In the US, two Battleforces are a slightly better deal, but I really wanted to get the HH sprue and some Pirhana.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote