Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica : Hammerhead
Old 26 Nov 2007, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tactica : Hammerhead

Now i know a lot of you will be wondering, why on earth am i posting a tactica about hammerheads. On the surface, they seem fairly simple to use, and in some ways they are, but i have found out the hard way that they are not so simple to use, and many beginners may be stuck on what upgrades to use (i certainly was ) Well fear not, hopefully this post we help you.

Tank, skimmer

Right. so on the surface we see the stats of your average battle tank, comparable to a predator, or a leman russ. It has a good enough ballistic skill to make sure its shots are felt. It is also a tank. Here are the basic strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths

It has a good enough armour value to not be brought down by mass firing of anti infantry weapons, (albeit gauss flayers).

Its ballistic skill is fairly high for a tank, beating many other races.

It has the "tank" rule, which allows it to tank shock.

It is a skimmer, which in itself is massive advantage and opens up many possibilities.

Disadvantages

its armour is not high enough to stop a lot of anti vehicle weapons, it will feel the heat if las cannons start firing at it.

It is fairly expensive. It costs xx points, and that is with no weapons, seeing as a lot of people go down the railgun route, you are looking at a 150pt tank which is quite a lot.

It can't transport units.

Most of its fire power can be stopped with a weapon destroyed result.

So ,it has many things to consider. But before we immerse ourselves in tactics, what should we equip it with? it all depends on what you want.

We shall start with a classic, the railgun vs ion cannon battle. You will find many, many threads on this topic, but the thing is, in my opinion, you can't compare the two. This is because the weapons are designed for different things. The best thing to is look at the stats

Both weapons have a good range. But that is the only similarity between them. The solid shot version of the railgun allows it very powerful anti vehicle mobile fire power. However, it can also decimate hordes of infantry at a pinch. By equipping it with a railgun, you have a lot of versatility, which is why i would recommend for the first hammerhead you buy, you stick a railgun on it.

As you progress through the game, you will realise that people take light vehicles, and that marines are a lot harder to kill than previously thought. This is when you may feel the urge to rip off of the railgun, leaving the anti vehicle to broadsides, and put on the ion cannon. I beg you don't!!! The best thing to do is buy 2 hammerheads. The ion cannon has its uses as it can cracks squadrons of light vehicles, because of its high shots.( come on, strength 10 vs a vyper is a bit of overkill.) It can also kill infantry in power armour, where a railgun may struggle.

With the main weapon selected, its to pick the secondary one. this doesn't seem to matter as much, as they are both str 5 AP 5. The only difference is range and volume of shots. if your hammerhead is moblie. i would give it burst cannons, if it is static, smart missiles, for the extra range. Remember smart missiles don't need a line of sight.

At the bottom of the codex entry, there is a sentence saying the hammerhead may be equipped with any upgrade from the tau armoury. Well here goes...
Blacksun filter

Simply allows you to double you night fighting distance. if you play night fight a lot, or play tournaments, a useful upgrade.

Decoy launchers

Increases the survivability of the hammerhead. It makes the opponent re-roll the damage result if he gets immobilised on a glance. Although it may not seem like much, useful if used with a multi tracker.

Disruption pod

This means that you can only glance the hammerhead from further than 12". One of the many ways the stop penetrating hits. I may be wrong on this, feel free to correct me.

Flechette Discharger

useful if you are getting assaulted. Means that all units on base contact suffer a wound on a 4+, with saves allowed. useful against tyranids or orks.

Landing gear

comes as standard for all tau vehicles. means you can count as a normal vehicle. i would use it on static hammer heads.

Multi tracker

The most useful upgrade you can give a hammerhead. It allows you to fire like a fast vehicle. Meaning you can move 12", fire and only be glances. Mandatory upgrade

Seeker missiles

Most useful on an ion head. it allows you to get more AP 3 fire power in. don't forget the markerlights.

Sensor spines

Again, obscured target, if you are hovering over terrain. i would prefer to use the disruption pod for this though.

Target lock

this allows you to split fire. It can be useful, especially if you shoot a railgun at a vehicle, and the burst cannons at infantry.

Right, now onto the tactics.

General

The hammerhead is th most useful vehicle you can ever see in a tau. In my opinion, there are two ways you can play a hammerhead, mobile and static

Mobile

This is my favourite way to use a hammerhead. You must equip a multi tracker, which allows it to move 12" and fire it's main weapons. It can also only be glanced. And trust me ,for a lot of people there is nothing more scary than a front armour 13 vehicle running around, which you can only glance. this mobility allows to be put the hammerhead where it is needed. See that land raider rolling up the centre? See that unit of genestealers running up the flank. All can be killed by this method. You can also claim table quarters. This unit will be the main power behind a mech tau force.

Static

This is what it says, a hammerhead that doesn't move. It allows to to make the most of cover, using it to allow obscure target, take sensor spines. static hammerheads are harder to kill, and can fire all weapons, all the time. very useful. I would suggest taking smart missiles. sit behind terrain, and blast away. Don't forget to move however, if the enemy is going to charge you.

Army specific

Imperial guard

Against guard, i would take a hammerhead with railgun. The anti vehicle is needed, and the fact that it can rip through guardsmen is an added bonus. watch out though, anything with a railgun scares guard players, and will do their best to kill it.

Space marines and chaos

With these armies, it is arguable whether to take ion heads or rail heads, as they both have their uses. Watch out for lascannons, they are going to be on a lot of average squads.

Necrons

I would take a ion head, to kill the warriors and destroyers, Watch out for mass glancing.
'
Eldar and dark eldar

I would go railgun, its submunition will rip though toughness 3. Watch out for lance weapons, it will make your armour count as 12.

tyranids and orks

Again, railgun, as its submunition is the best thing to take out hordes. Leave carnifexes and other beasties to broadsides.

well thats my take on the hammerhead. Fell free to modify and comment

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Tactica : Hammerhead

Dude, take those stats off. It's against copyright, and TO could get in serious trouble.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is really useful, Thanks! But you NEED to take the stats down post hast due to copywrite rules and don't forget to drop ALL the point values you posted.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, drop stats and points values and then sticky, promptly thereafter. This is a great article.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Great article, only thing was, as far as I'm aware the disruption pod only cives you a save to downgrade penetrating hits to glancing at ranges more than 12". Basicly it makes the vechile obscured.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Posting stats and points costs is against the forum rules. Consider this your only warning where this is concerned, Tau Online can face serious trouble if posts breach copyrights no matter who posted them. I cannot stress this enough.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Right sorry guys i didn't know. I thought it would help to put the point across but o well :-\

Anyway back on topic, how would we all use hammerheads?

Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Make sure to check the forum rules here:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=5481.0

or here:
http://forums.tauonline.org//index.php?topic=224.0

We wouldn't want such a fine tactica author being banned

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

thanks, i have just read those now. now i know what karma is ;D

Does anyone know if there is a place i could post scenarios? I have some good ones thought up

Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboy5
thanks, i have just read those now. now i know what karma is* ;D

Does anyone know if there is a place i could post scenarios? I have some good ones thought up
Not completly sure but I would say the House Rules section which is a child board of the 40K Creations Board:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=51.0

Edit: Also mabye if you PM a mod or TO they can put it on the main website (if it's is good).

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote