Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drone Sentry Turrets
Old 26 Nov 2007, 01:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Drone Sentry Turrets

These are the Forgeworld Tau turrets in Imperial Armour 3. I have all the rules and stats for them, but I was wondering wether these were really useful enough or strong enough to consider taking any... I like the idea of being able to drop static firepower anywhere I need it, but they're still drones and at a hefty bump in points. Is it more worth it just to take, say, an Apocalypse Rapid Insertion Force? They drop in just as accurately and bring a lot more firepower, but the formation is kinda limited in flexibility and is really expensive, whereas the turrets are less expensive, still deliver decent firepower, and can be used in non-apocalypse games. Hrmmm.....

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 05:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default Re: Drone Sentry Turrets

And if they're as immobile as most turrets seem to be, if they survive to the end of the game, your opponent gets half VPs for them... just something to consider... don't think insertion forces have that problem...
Old 26 Nov 2007, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeran Van Houten
And if they're as immobile as most turrets seem to be, if they survive to the end of the game, your opponent gets half VPs for them... just something to consider... don't think insertion forces have that problem...
I am under the impression that this is taking into account in the Imperial Armour rules. It starts as an immobile vehicle, and immobilized damage results have no effect - however if it does get immobilized, then it counts as damaged/immobilized when working out VPs.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 05:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

First time I heard that... but then I don't get to see much forge world stuff in action...
Old 26 Nov 2007, 06:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Ah, it's in the rules, I think I have the experimental rules stored somewhere.

As for the topic at hand - The drone turrets do seem neat, though I play mech Tau now, so they're not much use for me. They are neat for Cityfight and Scenario play though. But I haven't played with/against them or tried proxying them, so I'm not sure how well they work.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 06:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They actually look pretty fun. In particular dropping a bunch of missile pod turrets behind your enemy's line would be nice. Their failing is that they take up a heavy support slot, but do the job of a crisis suit. I need my heavy support slots to kill the biggest enemy vehicles and creatures and to soak up damage. The turrets just aren't as efficient for this.

They are very similar to deathrain crisis suits, but deathrains don't take up a heavy slot and can claim objectives. So I'd recommend similarly outfitted crisis suits to fill the roll of the turrets.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Myah... I think I'll put turrets on the backburner for a while at 30 bucks a pop... I still think they'd be cool, if not particularly effective. They would act as a real nice surprise, and would wreck shop if your opponent expects something stupid like a gunline and doesn't take much anti-vehicle weaponry. Whatever, anyone who plays against my Tau is going to expect vehicles of some sort or another, so probably not too effective.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote