Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] 1500 Tau vs. Eldar, disappointing loss...
Old 25 Nov 2007, 20:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default [BatRep] 1500 Tau vs. Eldar, disappointing loss...

Alright, well, here's the first game I've lost in a while.* Per Yriels advice, I decided to report this loss along with the win I had a little while back.* Read and see what you think.* It's pretty long I'll warn you, as I record in detail.

Army Lists

Tau Empire (Me)
My standard 1500 point Hybrid list for some time now.* Here it is in abbreviated form:
HQ
-XV8 Shas'el: Missile Pod (MP), Plasma Rifle (PR), Targeting Array, H-W Multitracker (MT), H-W Blacksun Filter (BSF)
[hr]
Elites 1
-XV8 Shas'ui (Fireknife-6): MP, T-L PR, Team Leader, H-W MT, H-W BSF
Elites 2
-XV8 Shas'ui (Deathrain): T-L MP, BSF
Elites 3
-XV8 Shas'ui (Deathrain): T-L MP, BSF
[hr]
Troops 1
-12 Fire Warriors (FW): Shas'ui, Markerlight, H-W Target Lock (TL)
-Devilfish: Decoy Launchers (DL), Sensor Spines (SS)
Troops 2
-10 Kroot Carnivores
-4 Kroot Hounds
Troops 3
-10 Kroot Carnivores
-4 Kroot Hounds
[hr]
Fast Attack
-8 Pathfinders: Shas'ui, Bonding Knife; 3 w/ Rail Rifles (RR)
-Devilfish: DL, SS
[hr]
Heavy Support 1
-XV88 Shas'ui: T-L PR, MT, Team Leader: H-W BSF, H-W Drone Controller w/2 Shield Drones (SDs), H-W TL
-XV88 Shas'ui: T-L PR, MT
Heavy Support 2
2 Sniper Drone Teams
Heavy Support 3
Hammerhead (HH): Railgun (RG), 2 Burst Cannons (BCs), BSF, DL, Disruption Pod (DP), MT, TL

Eldar (Opponent)
My Opponent's List.* Hopefully I got all the Force Org spots right.
HQ
-Farseer: Doom, Mind War
[hr]
Elite 1
-10 Howling Banshees, Exarch: War Shout
-Wave Serpent: T-L Bright Lance
Elite 2
-6 Harlequins: Harlequin's Kiss
[hr]
Troops 1
-10 Dire Avengers, Exarch: Bladstorm
Troops 2
-8 Eldar Ranger Pathfinders
[hr]
Fast Attack
-10 Warp Spiders, Exarch: Spinneret Rifle
[hr]
Heavy Support 1
Falcon: Pulse Laser, Scatter Laser, Holo Field, Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Vectored Engines
Heavy Support 2
Wraithlord: Bright Lance, 2 Flamers

Terrain and Placement:
Note: The image was created from photographs.* It is not perfectly to scale nor are the terrain or models perfectly placed or scaled.* So, for instance, my Broadsides did not actually have LoS on the Falcon because terrain was actually intervening.

We did terrain with a random terrain generator, supplemented by each of us placing one piece; I placed a rectangular ruins at the lower center of the board, near the two central rubbles, and he placed a large square ruins near the center of the board; his piece proved to be the pivotal piece of the game.* We also re-placed a couple pieces to give better LoS from cover and such.

We just decided to take a break from missions this game and play a regular kill-all: deployment 12" on from long edges, VP determines the winner.

Deployment was normal, though my opponent won the roll-off for choosing sides, so did so and deployed first.

We rolled for who went first, and I won the roll-off, so I got first turn.

Tau Turn 1
Movement
Most of my army actually stayed stationary.* I moved the two Deathrains out to the left to get shots on the Warp Spiders.* PF DF moved to take their place by moving into the terrain in case the Pathfinders needed to be evaced.* Shas'el and Fireknife-6 move up to the crook formed by the two central rubbles on my side, to move out to shoot next turn.* The HH moves out next to the woods Kroot 1 are in and the ruins it started behind to take a shot at the Wave Serpent.
Shooting
Deathrains take 4 T-L MP shots at the Warp Spiders...1 hits...no wounds.* Sniper Drones try to snipe the Eldar Pathfinders (they have nothing better to shoot at...) and fall short by about an inch.* Kroot 1 shoots at the Eldar Pathfinders, scoring 4 hits out of 10, with 4 wounds, but of course, no casualties (they get a 2+ cover save in there...).* Hammerhead takes a shot at the Wave Serpent and misses.* Everyone else sits on their thumbs...
Assault
Deathrains assault move back behind the ruins, behind the Broadsides, and that's it.
Eldar Turn 1
Movement
Falcon moves up behind the large ruins in the center of the board; the Wraithlord moves up behind the large ruins, and the Wave Serpent behind it after the Farseer gets in and joins the Howling Banshees (I didn't technically know that they were Banshees when he joined them, but I figured it out, because he could only put his Harlequins in his Falcon).* Warp Spiders jump just to the left side of the ruins.* Dire Avengers move behind the Wave Serpent.* Pathfinders stay still.
Shooting
Pathfinders shoot Kroot 1 and inflict 1 casualty and thus Pinning Test.* The Wave Serpent and Wraithlord both take shots at the Hammerhead but miss.* No other shooting, so Kroot roll their Leadership and pass.
No Assault phase.

Tau Turn 2
Movement
Hammerhead moves forward just over 6" between the woods and rubble, closer to the woods.* The Deathrains pop out again to take more shots at the Warp Spiders.* The Shas'el and Fireknife-6 jump between the two rubble and land on the other side.* I load up the FW in their DF to move them when needed, as currently they're useless.
Shooting
Hammerhead takes another shot at the Wave Serpent, destroying it and it's passengers are Entangled.* Deathrains shoot Warp Spiders again, again inflicting no casualties.* The Shas'el and Fireknife-6 just have shots on the Wraithlord, but inflict no wounds.* Kroot shoot again at the Pathfinders, with literally the exact same results as last time.
Assault
Suits move back to where they were, nothing else done.

::Takes break in work (it is work writing these things, you know) to get White Russian ice cream w/hot fudge::

Eldar Turn 2
Movement
Opponent wants to use Doom from his Farseer, even though it's Pinned; I point out this can't happen because Pinning prevents all actions.* We argue and I look up the rule, and find where it says you can't do anything.* Warp Spiders jump out full 12", to about 4" in front of large central ruins.* Falcon uses Star Engines to jump to just beside my Broadsides.* Wraithlord moves just into the large central ruins, so I still don't have LoS with my Broadsides.* Dife Avengers move to just behind the large ruins in the center.* Pathfinders make DT roll to see how far they can move...rolls a 1, so he chooses not to move.
Shooting
Warp Spiders unload on the PF, killing them all.* Wraithlord shoots his Bright Lance at my Hammerhead, first Immoblizing it, but I force the re-roll because of DL, thus he Stuns it.* That's it.
Assault
Warp Spiders assault back into the large center ruins, losing one in the process.* No other moves/assaults.

Tau Turn 3
My overall strategy this turn was do everything I could to destroy the Falcon.* I new this was a difficult proposition, but only after I fired did I realize just how impossible the damned Holo Field makes Eldar tanks to take down.
Movement
Deathrains move left to shoot at the Falcon, and the Shas'el and Fireknife-6 move out also to shoot at it.* HH is stunned...I move the PF DF away to keep it from getting pasted to help preserve VP.
Shooting
These are the pivotal rolls of the game...Deathrains unload on the Falcon, which I roll together...2 glancing hits, both come up either a 5 and 1 or 6 and 1, so...Shaken.* Shas'el unloads on it...same result.* Fireknife-6 fires, and actually glances with the PR AND MP...Armament Destroyed - Pulse Laser.* Broadsides shoot everything: RG's both Glance, and roll another set of 5/6's and 2/1's.* 4 PR shots, T-L...1 glances...6 and 1.* Sniper Drones, last resort...1 glancing hit...5 and a 2 IIRC.* Both Kroot squads open up on the Warp Spiders, killing one each.
So, the lesson I learned from this game is...
[move]Never shoot at skimming Holo Fields, it just ain't worth it.[/move].
Had I not fired on the Falcon, I could have totally wiped out the Warp Spiders and prevented them from doing what they did next turn.
Assault
Crisis Suits move back to their original positions.
Eldar Turn 3
Movement
Howling Banshees with Farseer and Dire Avengers both move forward throught the large center ruins with great DT rolls.* Warp Spiders jump forward again.* Harlequins emerge from the Falcon and move towards my Broadsides.* Pathfinders again roll a 1 on DT, only this time he opts to move them to the left that one inch... Wraithlord moves forward out of the large ruins.* Falcon zooms off to hover over the large center ruins.
Shooting
Warp Spiders, now somewhat diminished, fire on the second Kroot squad in the rubble and kill just over half.* Harlequins fire their pistols at the Broadsides and do nothing (I save the one wound).* Dire Avengers and Banshees w/Farseer get great Fleet rolls, and end up at the very edge nearest me of the large center ruins.* Wraithlord for some reason doesn't shoot... Kroot pass their Ld test again (huzzah for Ld7!)
Assault
Harlequins of course assault the Broadsides.* I get cover I10, so I strike first with the SDs (which my opponent is shocked at the fact they get attacks) which do nothing, than the Broadsides hit, killing one.* The Harlies return with so many Rending hits I can't remember the number, but it's way more than I have wounds, so the Broadsides poof.* Seeing all the firepower about to come their way, they Massacre 3 inches away from me.

Tau Turn 4
Movement
Railhead is free to function again thanks to the forgetfulness of my opponent, so it moves 12 inches north past the woods.* The FW DF moves 12", partially into the center rectangular ruins near where the PF DF was, and unloads it's FW in FoF attempt against the Harlies.* The PF DF continues to speed away to the right another 12".* Deathrains move out again to take shots at the Harlies, and if not them, the Falcon.* The second Kroot squad moves out of the rubble to assault the Harlies in case the FW and Deathrains don't kill them all.* Shas'el and Fireknife-6 move forward to fire on the Spiders.* Kroot 1 stays stationary.
Shooting
Railhead fires its RG at the Wraithlord, inflicting one wound; BC fire at the exposed Pathfinders, killing 2.* Kroot 1 fires at the Warp Spiders, killing 1 more.* Shas'el and Fireknife-6 unleash hell on the Warp Spiders, killing 3 IIRC (bad saving throws).* Sniper Drones shoot at the Warp Spiders, killing 2 more, bringing them down to just their Exarch.* FW unleash their own hell on the Harlies, wiping them out.* The right Deathrain doesn't have LoS to the Falcon, but the left one does, so it fires at the Falcon, but nothing happens.
Assault
Suits move back.
Eldar Turn 4
Movement
Farseer casts Doom on my FW.* Wraithlord moves up very close to the Kroot 1 squad.* Farseer seperates from the Banshees.* Dire Avengers and Banshees emerge from the large center ruins near what's left of my firebase.* Pathfinders make yet another DT roll to get out of the ruins and get a 4, moving them out of it finally.* Falcon Tank Shocks my FW and Deathrains; they all pass Ld tests, FW move between rectangular ruins and rubble, Deathrains move to the left.*
Shooting
Dire Avengers shoot the FW and kill 5.* Wraithlord, as I should have been ready for, flames the Klkn out of my Kroot squad 1 in the woods, killing all but 5 models.* Banshees Fleet towards my Kroot 2.* Kroot 1 finally fail their Ld, and fall back 7 inches.* Pathfinders successfully fleet into the rubble they've been trying to get into all game (where the Dire Avengers started behind).
Assault
Banshees assault Kroot 2, and annihilate them.* They proceed to Massacre into the FW and Commander.

Tau Turn 5
Movement
On alerting me that his Farseer is exposed, my opponent (being an excellent sportsman) tells me I could take a gamble to instagib his Farseer if I move in my Hammerhead fully between the Wraithlord and the upper rubble where the DA's started.* I do this after much debate, as I wanted to put another wound on the Wraithlord, but I figured if my RG didn't kill her, my 6 BC shots would... Deathrains move to the left more, getting away from the "swirling melee" at the base.* Both DF zoom off to the right more still, along with the remainders of the Sniper Drone Teams (they had by now taken casualties from somewhere, I just can't remember where.* One had only the Spotter left, and one was a Spotter and a Drone.)
Shooting
The only shooting I thought I had available: the Railhead.* It hits and wounds the Farseer, but it makes a 4+ Invuln. save.* I then unload with the BC's, inflicting 2 wounds, but not the third needed to kill her.* My opponent, again being a good sportsman, let me know I had a clear shot on his Falcon's rear with my Fireknife-6...so I took the shot with the weapons, getting one glancing hit...and Immobilzing it! (double 5's!) (but not I-Destroyed, because it had Vectored Engines).* I on further inspection saw I had LoS and range on the Dire Avengers with my Deathrains, and went on to inflict two casualties.
Assault
Banshees kill all the FW but the Shas'ui, and the Shas'el.* Fireknife-6 moves right to get away, and Deathrains jump onto the Level 1 hill on the left side of my deployment zone.
Eldar Turn 5
Movement
Wraithlord moves behind my HH, and the Farseer stays in front.* Dire Avengers stay put, as almost nothing can harm them, and they're not close enough to harm something else.*
Shooting
Wraithlord fires his Bright Lance into the back of my HH and destroys it.* No other shooting.
Assault
Banshees finish off the lone Fire Warrior.

At this point we call the game, as there's nothing left to do and it's obvious who the victor is, and finally we were out of real time.* My opponent won by 474 points total, making it a Solid Victory for him.

Two lessons I learned in this game: with allowing people to place a terrain piece, perhaps limit the size of it so that almost an entire army can't hide behind said piece and deny everything my army can do.* And second, don't fire at Eldar vehicles with Holo Fields.* I must have sunk a dozen hits on that thing...all for nothing.* I could have saved my Kroot from being wiped out by Warp Spiders, who could have then had some chance against the Banshees; even if they didn't, the Banshees would have been left in the open for me to shoot next turn.* That entire game mechanic ruined the game almost by itself.* I suppose I could have started moving out sooner, but how do you run away from a transport with 36" move, and Fleet troops?* Perhaps I should swap out a Kroot squad and some other units for another mobile FW squad?

Any advice would be welcome.* Thanks for reading.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [BatRep] 1500 Tau vs. Eldar, disappointing loss...

Sounds like a fun game. I should've taken your warning, that was a long read.

I really don't know how one can effectively stop a holo-field falcon. Its just to good at what it does. You could see the static list made by trogdor. I think what he has might be able to take out a falcon. 9 Broadsides and 9 Deathrains...maybe if he got lucky.

You pretty much had the idea at ignoring them. Too bad it turned the game in your opponents favour.

Also, why were his Pathfinders having so much difficulty moving? If im not mistaken, I think rangers have MVC special rule and Pathfinders ignore it all together. Next time you verse him, give him the heads up on that one.

Just some thoughts,

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You were shooting Deathrains at Warp spiders most of the game it seems. I'd have paired them with either the vehicles as you have a fair chance of glancing them at s7 or something with a 4+ save. Shooting the HH at eldar vehicles is almost always a waste as that big fat s10 ap1 will still only get you a glance.

It sounds like his sportsmanship may have been a ruse to bait you into using the HH on the Farseer. You've only got one shot with the RG and he's got a 50/50 chance of making his invulnerable save. I think the shot was wasted, and not only that, but it put you in a vulnerable spot to have the Wraithlord come at you from behind.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 23:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Also, why were his Pathfinders having so much difficulty moving? If im not mistaken, I think rangers have MVC special rule and Pathfinders ignore it all together. Next time you verse him, give him the heads up on that one.
You are correct, the Pathfinders do have MVC and the Pathfinders ignore difficult terrain, I just looked it up. I will let him know about that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
You were shooting Deathrains at Warp spiders most of the game it seems. I'd have paired them with either the vehicles as you have a fair chance of glancing them at s7 or something with a 4+ save. Shooting the HH at eldar vehicles is almost always a waste as that big fat s10 ap1 will still only get you a glance.

It sounds like his sportsmanship may have been a ruse to bait you into using the HH on the Farseer. You've only got one shot with the RG and he's got a 50/50 chance of making his invulnerable save. I think the shot was wasted, and not only that, but it put you in a vulnerable spot to have the Wraithlord come at you from behind.
I only shot the Missile Pods at the Warp Spiders because I simply didn't have LoS and/or range to his Falcon before it jumped on top of my base. I should have made this more clear in the report, thanks for pointing that out.

As far as the gamble with the Wraithlord, no, I don't think it was a ruse per se, but you are right, it did let him get that shot on my rear armor, which I didn't see coming. I don't think he meant it as a ploy in actuality, because this was a friendly game and he is in actuality one of my good friends here at college. Anyone else though, I would agree with you.

Thanks guys.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 26 Nov 2007, 10:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_matu

Ohhh, to bad i would of loved to see a victory in your favor!
Aussie_matu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2007, 20:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A good way to counter a rush by a falcon carrying harliquins is to move a unit to block the falcon's rear exit. Piranhas are ideal for this, but putting anything there will stall his assault for another turn, giving you more time to try to bring it down. In your case, you could have put a unit behind it, I don't know if you had one in a position to so this assumes you did, shaken the falcon to neutralize its firepower the next turn, and then focused your fire on softer targets.

When I play Mechanized Eldar, I try to kill off all the soft targets first, shaking the Falcons and Fire Prisms if I can, but mostly ignoring them till the last few turns of the game, then trying to bring them down with hopefully most of my army still left.

Good report.
Old 26 Nov 2007, 21:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Blocking the exit is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Everything else is what I normally do, targetting the non-vehicle units first, etc. But I thought, hey, my friend's been bitching about the holo-field (apparently he normally has bad luck with it) so I thought hey, I'll either down it and add fuel to the fire, or he'll finally shut up about it after I pump half my army's firepower into it. Needless to say, he hasn't complained since.

Really I just focused on it to prove a point, since dice rolls and in-game performance go far farther in convincing him of a viewpoint than any amount of words do. Too bad I had to lose a game to convince him...
Old 26 Nov 2007, 22:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Sounds like it was an interesting game, but did you use your markerlights at all?
Seems like your pathfinder squad got wasted without doing much... you could have had about 6 seekers it looked like.. could have helped with that wraithlord...

Also, did you have drones on your devilfish or sms? Detached drones could have been used to tie up some of his units or force priority tests...

But even after saying that, I don't know if I could have done any better... heh...
Old 27 Nov 2007, 01:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great report, I love playing against Eldar, it is alway a challenging game.

Plus any game where you learn something is a GREAT game!

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 07:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Why does your XV-88 have Team Leader have 2 shield drones? I thought 1 protects the whole unit? And I thought if you miss the 1st invurnerable save, you can't do it again regardless of more than one drone.

If not, sorry I just got my codex and first guys a few days ago, so please correct me.