Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Positional Relay tactical question
Old 23 Nov 2007, 13:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Positional Relay tactical question

Greetings, Is a Positional Relay worth it's value tactically and points wise in a heavy static hybrid army? The Positional relay would only be used to bring in a 3-man Crisis suit squad with twinlinked missile pods, targeting arrays and shield drones. I guess for you to answer my question you might need to know what else is in my list. At a glance I have (1) Ion Head, (3) Sniper drone teams (3) Broadsides (3) Piranha that take up a separate fast attack slot each (1) kroot squad (4) firewarrior squads and finally (2) 3-man Crisis suit teams. Both teams have twinlinked weaponry and targetting arrays(1 team is all missile pods and the other is all plasma rifles). The HQ is a Sha'el with positional relay and twinlinked burst cannons.
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Positional Relay tactical question

The range of the missiles means you should be able to hit practically anything on a 6x4 table on your turn 2, so I'm not sure of the value of the positional relay. However the Plasma Rifle squad might find it more useful.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond823
The range of the missiles means you should be able to hit practically anything on a 6x4 table on your turn 2, so I'm not sure of the value of the positional relay. However the Plasma Rifle squad might find it more useful.
I chose the Missile Pods instead of Plasma Rifles because I want to be able to attack units that might be hiding from my static element. I ask about the Positional Relay because some think its more prudent to advance normally instead of deep striking.
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

no need for static army. the crisis i would only use fusions on them to take out either earthshaker units ie baslisk or art type / covering armour.
shadowcreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeh I would say its worth it for TLed fusions but not for missile pods. They've got a good enough range anyway so they sould be firing from turn 1 whereas fusions have a short range and will have to advance under heavy enemy fire to get to the tanks if not deepstriked, another config it might be worth it for is flamer/burst cannons in a city fight or if you want some anti-infantry but not for missile pods.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, one tactical use of the Positional relay is one of its less obvious uses, and one that your list can take advantage of.

It involves deepstriking a 'token' deepstriker every turn, until turn 4, when you 'opt not to use' the positional relay, and everyting remaining deepstrikes in on a 2+ anyways. So you basically keep a large part of your force off the table, and hold out, dropping one unit here, one unit there- to stall. Then WHAMMO! swoop in and blast everything away in a massive drop! This has the further benefit of keeping those units 'un shot-up', while you spend the first few turns 'shooting up' the enemy forces. In theory, this should tip the favor your way (and makes the reserve units actually work like a real battlefield reserve arriving in time to turn the battle), but does need some carefull planning and implementation, as well as an armylist tuned to take full advantage of it.

Its important though to tune the rest of your army to hold on against larget numbers for 4 turns, or lurk in safety, avoiding trouble, until the big action turn.

So, lets see what youve got... (I forget: do piranhas deepstrike?? I think so)
Piranhas, Crisis Teams, and (if you had one) second HQ all goto deepstrike reserves

The rest get fielded as normal

Turn2- deepstrike a piranha on a 2+
turn3- deepstrike piranha on a 2+
turn4- opt not to use pos relay,deepstrike Piranha, and both crisis teams, all on a 2+

Thats just to show the concept, and there is definately room to fine tune it more in this direction if you so choose. For instance: I would use gun drone squads as the 'token' deepstrikers, even though they might actualy be more expensive. And I would definately include a second HQ with bodyguard, and maybe stealth team, to add to the weight of the "turn4 deepstrike swarm", but thats up to you.

hehe the real winner is the Farsight army with this. whoo.. imagine 8 crisis deepstriking within rapidfire range of the strongest chunk of his army.... and that was just one unit! it brings a tear of joy to my eye...

Also, a pathfinder unit is a nice addition to this approach, as their devilfishes' marker beacon helps take the quesswork out with some more accurate deepstriking.

And thats about all I can suggest for tactical implementations of the positional relay. Hope this insight helped!
Old 25 Nov 2007, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That sounds like a solid idea. I don't think Piranhas can deepstrike however. Its their space marine counterpart that does that kind of stuff. I dont see much use deepstriking a Piranha anyways. You could easily just move into position and use terrain to cover your tail.

I don't see much use of a positional relay in a tau army. I've heard of a passwive Tau Commander idea, which might fit well in your army. Shas'el w/ Positional Relay, C&C Node, and BSF. Fairly cheap and is a good support. I would never use this, but it might be worth it for you.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

There are two uses that I have herd/ thought of but not in the scenarios you plan to use him for.
On HQ there basically does not seem to be a point
I thought of a use for this a while back in the assassins scenario. Warning opponents are likely to call this beardy though. Have a vre monat with the positional relay and everthing else you can have deepstirke but always deepstrike in something else with your fast attack and other elites to prevent your commander from getting on the battlefield and getting killed. Keep the vre monat alive otherwise the plan will fail so keep him out of line of sight.
Another thing I heard about was using it with fliers that start in reserve with rules from IA 3. I heard about in a battle report so someone should search for it.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 23:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I just checked my 'dex and piranhas can not deepstrike sorry.
(three plus power armor will block all your shots but can i get over 1" of dangerous terrain...oops i rolled a one)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. cough cough anyone got a coughdrop?

shas,o,kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 23:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I believe deepstrike is the wrong word here. He means 'enter from reserve' - e.g. moving onto the table normally from your deployment zone.

I'm yet to try that tactic, but it could be very subtle and nasty =)