Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How best to equip Broadsides?
Old 23 Nov 2007, 10:54   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default How best to equip Broadsides?

Right, well I posted this in my army list reply but it didn't seem to get noticed, so I thought I'd ask everyone. What is the best way to equip a single Broadside or a squad of 2?
The two main options seem to be: Shield Drones or A.S.S.
Which is better? And is it worth taking Hard-wired Drone controller and Shield Drones as well as the A.S.S. on a monat?
Is it worth taking a Multi-tracker (probably on a monat)?
And finally... Is it really worth x points to upgrade to plasma yet lose half your shots? (even more if not in rapid fire range)

Thanks to any knowledgable person who can recommend different configurations and uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog
Default Re: How best to equip Broadsides?

How to best equip Broadsides? Take them out of the battlesuit and give 'em a Devilfish chassis, a railgun, two burst cannons and a seeker or two

In all seriousness, though, I've heard wonders abut Broadsides equipped with shield drones. They just make them so much more survivable! A.S.S is also great for improving the mobility of the unit. And people take plasma because it complements the railgun perfectly, in that it's relatively high strength and low AP (good for finishing off Monstrous Creatures).

If I were you, I'd take a Monat team leader with two shield drones, A.S.S, multi-tracker and plasma rifles. If you want you can also add on another Shas'ui with A.S.S.
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

For a smaller unit especially, shield drones...don't see much need for the mobility, they shouldn't really be moving much anyway. Park them behind cover and fire your railguns.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I made my broadside a shas'vre and gave him A.S.S and a hard wired targetting array. I nearly always play 'nids and as long as he dosnt get in CC with them he will survive so I don't really need shield drones, using the A.S.S to stop him from getting charged usually works as he will gun down anything before it gets too close to him
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 12:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
I made my broadside a shas'vre and gave him A.S.S and a hard wired targetting array. I nearly always play 'nids and as long as he dosnt get in CC with them he will survive so I don't really need shield drones, using the A.S.S to stop him from getting charged usually works as he will gun down anything before it gets too close to him
That is totally illegal. There is no such thing as a Hard-wired Targeting array. Neither is there a Hard-wired system for an A.S.S before you even think about it.

As for what upgrade is best, just take in a Shas'vre with A.S.S. Plain simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 13:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
If I were you, I'd take a Monat team leader with two shield drones, A.S.S, multi-tracker and plasma rifles. If you want you can also add on another Shas'ui with A.S.S.
I don't think you can make a Monat team leader broadside.
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 13:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robidark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaifrog
I don't think you can make a Monat team leader broadside.
My mistake, as per the codex you can make a Monat team leader broadside. (I think I use "Enemies of the Imperium too much."
robidark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
That is totally illegal. There is no such thing as a Hard-wired Targeting array. Neither is there a Hard-wired system for an A.S.S before you even think about it.

As for what upgrade is best, just take in a Shas'vre with A.S.S. Plain simple.
O damn, looking at the codex I got mixed up with the target lock xD Well my opponent plays like an ass anyway so I can get away with it :P
and I never said A.S.S was hard wired its the support system he must have
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 16:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Hold on Cal, you got like 15 responses to your list, which if you compare, is about twice as much as the next highest posted list.* I wouldn't have noticed, except for I was one of the repliers.* 15 responses to an army list is actually quite a lot, more than I have seen in some time.* It's far more than the list I posted about 3 or 4 months ago, which got NO responses at all, and almost no views.

On to your question.* First, I would recommend doing a search for this topic, as it has been covered before, in detail.* However, I will offer what I know/think here.

The question really becomes durabilty versus partial mobility while firing.* I will cover the later first, since I can write volumes on the former (and probably will...)

Mobility, esp. while doing damage, is one of the key tenets of MechTau, but not so much of Hybrid and Static.* Mobility for most people when it comes to Broadsides relates to point 1: idea that you may have multiple targets arrayed across the board OR that some targets may have great mobility and move out of your LoS.* To enable you to still engage said targets most efficiently, you need to be able to fire the heavy weapons ie. T-L RG's, on the move.* To do this you use A.S.S.* Favorable terrain and/or good deployment aren't as necessary with the A.S.S., as you can move to engage targets and still fire, saving your valuable fire to engage other targets later.* 2: A.S.S. lets you use the same tactic as you do for tanks to prevent turn one casualties on your Broadsides; that is, you deploy your Broadsides behind area terrain to prevent them from taking casualties at all in the first place, as area terrain blocks LoS.* This enables the 3rd point: you move into cover with the Broadsides so that not only can they fire at targets that need to be hit, but can claim cover saves themselves.* Finally, in case assaulters come near, you can move away and still fire your weapons, which considering the power of the Broadsides' systems, is a useful ability indeed.

The second part here is about Shield Drones (SDs).* This of course are independent models that give have a 4+ Invuln. Save, and the same Armour Sv and T as the model they accompany.* Using SDs is all about durability of the unit: you are trying to make it last as long as possible to accomplish the objective.* Usually people will put 2 SDs on 1 or 2 Broadsides, and 4 (and sometimes 6) SDs on 3 Broadsides, because that is how many can reasonably fit on those size of squads while still taking useful hardpoint items.* SDs are less about versatility and more about simple durability, so there aren't as many points to mention here.* One thing that is nice about them is that if you don't get good terrain, you can literally place anywhere, as you will have at least 2 4+ Invulns for your opponent to chew through before they can actually damage your Broadsides.* Anyone hoping to engage with standard small-arms will probably be foiled as well as the larger weapons: since SDs share the same Armor Sv as the Broadsides, you get 2+ Sv all-around, plus T4, so they will be lucky to wound you at all; and if they do, simply remove a SD and continue.* Of course, what the SDs are really there for is to aid against Heavy weapons, particularly ones that potentially Instant Death and/or AP your Broadsides.* If you're like me and what I did until very recently, I took 3 Broadsides with 4 SDs; this was proof against even Death Star Dev squads (that is, a SM Devastator squad with 4 Lascannons in it); usually 3 would hit, all would wound, and I would save at least one if not two of them, and lose one SD.* Usually by the next turn, assuming I lost first turn, I would have them eliminated and the threat was gone.* If not, the Broadsides could still usually hang around another turn, and certainly by then the Devs would be wiped out.* In fact, my opponents stopped taking Devastators for the simple fact that they simply were too ineffective against my army.* Finally, if I placed in cover (which I still do if I can help it) I still have cover saves to go through before I start taking casualties.

Now, from all that, you can probably glean what you need to know.* However, there are a couple points I'd like to emphasize.* First, running away from assaulters with the A.S.S. is nearly useless, unless there are so few you can actually delay the assault by moving and thus finish them off with your [considerably powerful] weapons.* Anyone trying to assault you is probably Fleet/Beast/Jump, so they likely will catch you.* Firing on the move to eliminate said assaulters is good, and if they have been whittled down will save your Broadsides, but usually if they make it to your lines in force, the Broadsides will probably not get away.* Second, cover saves.* Lets face facts here: no one is going to shoot at your Broadsides with anything less than an AP2 gun, and usually nothing less than S8 if they can help it; this means all Plasma, Zzap Guns, Lascannons, Pulse Lasers, Bright Lances, Starcannons, Melta weapons (particularly Multimeltas from Land Speeders) and probably quite a few more that I'm not thinking of.* Against these, only the Plasma do not Instagib and have AP.* You're gambling with the cover saves here, which as any good player knows, the more gambling you eliminate from your game, the better, as you can rely on your forces more to do what they were meant to do. This means that, should you fail a cover save, you lose a Broadside.* Ouch.* SDs solve this problem: you lose an Invuln Sv, and you lose a SD.* You fail two Invulns (likely four hits) thats two SDs.* If you've maxed out your SDs, you have two more to go, if not more.* Of course the real downside here is twofold: Morale Tests and Victory Points.* If you lose 25% of your unit, including Drones, you take a Morale Test.* This could potentially be devastating, particularly if you take a lot of drones, and lose a bunch of them and so are below half and are at Ld7.* However, I should point out again: this is not likely until later in the game; such firepower would have totalled your Broadsides altogether if you had taken A.S.S. or other upgrades.* Victory Points is under the same umbrella: you would have lost them altogether if not for the SDs.* Another downside is what makes the A.S.S. so great (in some people's eyes) the ability to move to engage new targets.* This is a nice ability, but seriously, I've never had a problem with this, except maybe once or twice in the last 3 years.* I've gotten very good at deploying my Broadsides, under even the worst circumstances, and I mean, if Devastator squads can set up for good firing, why can't you with your Broadsides?* It does take some practice I admit, but once you get the hang of it, the durability of the SDs far outweigh the partial movement of the A.S.S.* And after all, you're still gambling with the A.S.S.; you may roll well, but then, you're much more likely to roll average (3-4) or bad (1-2), and it's likely you'll need the higher scores more often than not.* Instead, you could have a bunch of 4+ Invuln that will take your opponent proverbial years to chew through.* Finally, and this comes with time and so is a major payoff with usage of the SD tactic: basically, with time, your opponent will stop trying to engage your Broadsides at all.* They will, in their mind, simply take too much effort to eliminate, and so will stop trying to engage them.* They may try to assault them occasionally, but none of my friends even bother with shooting at them anymore.* My vaunted Hammerhead goes down far more often than my Broadsides do, and that's with fewer SDs!!!*

One final tactic I'd like to mention, which as been effective in the last few games with other players who don't know about my Broadsides (that is, everything I just wrote about, not my army list; I always fully disclose that (even down to the "Ferocious Fangs" of my Hounds ;D) is that Broadsides with SD's make great bait for a trap, esp. for an assaulty army.* Even if they don't work as bait intentionally, they with a good firing line and Kroot are great for screwing with the opponent's strategic and tactical mind.* You opponent will begin by shooting the Broadsides, only to find after a turn or two this does not work (thanks to the SDs), than they will try to move in their assault troops, only to find those get picked to pieces by the Tau and Kroot guns.* Their rush will stall, and while they think of what to do, their momentum will falter as they try to decide (and then enact further faulty startegy) how to salvage the situation.* You take advantage of this by shooting them more.* If they do get in with their assault troops, your Kroot, who should be reasonably fresh and positioned on either flank, counter-charge and devaste them; you may not even need to do that.

So, I hope all that helped.* I know it was a lot to read, but it is necessary for making a decision this big.

EDIT: So, I totally forgot to discuss Plasma...I think Plasma is great on Broadsides, particularly with Multitrackers.* Anything within 24" except will be toast.* It eats just about everything for lunch.* Not as good against GEqs, but then you should have other firepower to deal with that.* I mean, 10 points for Twin-Linked PR?* Yes please!* It's particularly great at repelling DSing Termies, esp., if you put MTs on the Broadsides; that's at least 4 T-L shots a turn of ownage.

Now the question becomes, can I use all three (A.S.S., SDs, and Plasma) all at once effectively?* The answer is yes, with reservations.* In a 2-Broadside Team it is most efficient, as you can make one Shas'ui a Team Leader and so give him a H-W DC with the 2 SDs, and then give them both A.S.S. and Plasma.* The problem with this though is that you cannot give a MT to the regular Shas'ui, which means it won't be efficient with the T-L PR; thus I would consider dropping it to save points.* With the three-man team you can still only take 2 SDs with the HW DC, as the A.S.S. takes up all the hardpoints; it's good that you still have the two SDs but it won't be as effective at stopping hits as if you had 4, which to me is the minimum number for 3 Broadsides.* You will still have the mobility though.* Finally, the PR is really only practical on the Team Leader, as the other two won't be able to fire both weapons at once anyway.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 19:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I love full teams of broadsides armed with multi-trackers and plasma rifles, I give the team leader shield drones. But if it was a monat I would have to go with plasma rifles, multi-tracker (hard-wired), 'vre upgrade and shield generator (maybe even some shield drones to realy piss off my opponent).
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote