Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha hit allocations
Old 22 Nov 2007, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

Default Piranha hit allocations

When having a squad of piranhas that take hit from shooting how do you allocate the wounds?
Does the opponent decide which specifice vehicle he is shooting at and with what or does the tau player choose what takes which hits.

* I've done a search and I seem only to come up with questions about drones and the piranha

Thanks for your help
Old 22 Nov 2007, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Piranha hit allocations

It's stated on Page 73 of the Rulebook, under Vehicles in a Unit > Shooting. Hits are evenly allocated first, although I would assume that you can't hit something out of range - so it only applies to the models in-range.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay I ran into an interesting conundrum with this tonight in a game against IG. With melta weapons that get extra dice against targets within close range how does the allocation work? Could I allocate the hits to vehicles out of close range to nullify the extra dice? Not that that extra die is really important against light vehicles but never the less...
Old 22 Nov 2007, 04:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Sorry it goes against models that are in range only, Can not put damage on anything that is out of said weapons range. See page 22 under Check Range
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 06:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorMalchior
Okay I ran into an interesting conundrum with this tonight in a game against IG. With melta weapons that get extra dice against targets within close range how does the allocation work? Could I allocate the hits to vehicles out of close range to nullify the extra dice? Not that that extra die is really important against light vehicles but never the less...
You follow the rules, as on Page 73. You can only allocate to models in range, which should've been obvious - and that happens BEFORE any armour penetration rolls are made. So even if they get two hits, and two piranha's are in range, though only one is in close range - you allocate 1 hit to the closest one and 1 to the next piranha. THEN you roll for AP, in which case only 1 shot gets the extra dice.

Again, I have to emphasise, its clearly stated on Page 73 of the rulebook, including how the allocation works, and you can deduce from that what you do for Armour Penetration rolls.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

Ok, thanks i was just getting myself confused when getting a glancing and pen. on a squadron if it i could put both on a single vehicle since it never really died on the glance.

Thanks for the help
Old 22 Nov 2007, 18:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
It's stated on Page 73 of the Rulebook, under Vehicles in a Unit > Shooting. Hits are evenly allocated first, although I would assume that you can't hit something out of range - so it only applies to the models in-range.
I have argued this many times , the rules you are referring to actually state and I quote 'No vehicle takes more than one hit until ALL the vehicles in the unit have each taken a hit. It does not say all the vehicles in the unit in range, it says 'all the vehicles in the unit'. Now this is very specifically worded to state ALL vehicles.
Also the 40K rulebook FAQ states that any hits from a blast or template weapon are spread throughout the squadron. Nothing is stated about range or being in LOS, it simply states that the hits are spread around the squadron stat.
Also the rule about range is actually wrong, a blast can scatter onto a target beyond its maximum range, so the circumstances do exist that nullify this rules apparent 'Set in stone' status.
This can and has been argued where both sides have validated cases and until GW release a FAQ confirming one of the arguments then it is up to the individuals playing to use the old GW cop out option 'house rules'.
Just for the record I am on the 'all hits are divided throughout the unit regardless of LOS or range' camp (as long as one vehicle satisfies the LOS and range criteria all models are eligible to be allocated hits) . I think the rule on page 73 and the FAQ make it very clear that this is the case.
Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 23:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Although it doesn't state it explicitly - I would assume that it works in a similar way to shooting at units of Infantry - where you can only hit models that are within LOS and in range.

I mean you could have a unit of 5 Piranha's, spread out over a distance of 20" (in one line), and perhaps even with some of them out of sight around a corner or something.

Then you have a enemy squad shooting at the Front Piranha only, from 12" away, using some weapon that has 12" range. It doesn't make sense to be able to allocate hits to a model that is out of sight, and 32" away, clearly out of range of the weapons used.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 00:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
Although it doesn't state it explicitly - I would assume that it works in a similar way to shooting at units of Infantry - where you can only hit models that are within LOS and in range.

I mean you could have a unit of 5 Piranha's, spread out over a distance of 20" (in one line), and perhaps even with some of them out of sight around a corner or something.

Then you have a enemy squad shooting at the Front Piranha only, from 12" away, using some weapon that has 12" range. It doesn't make sense to be able to allocate hits to a model that is out of sight, and 32" away, clearly out of range of the weapons used.
Sense, we are talking GW rules here, when did sense ever apply to GW rules writing?.
For instance lets look at template weapons, the Plasma cannon is a blast template weapon with limited range (36"), as far as the GW FAQ is concerned if you hit a Piranha with a Plasma cannon template the 2 hits have to be 'spread around' around the squadron, even if the rest are beyond the 36" range (that is quite specific ,spread around the squadron&#39. It is quite explicit and unambiguous in its instruction. I also think the fact it is placed under 'Special rules' says something, basically it is saying that for squadrons this rule supersedes the normal rules I/E special. If you do not believe me go read it. Like I said 'common sense' hah we are talking GW world here.

[size=smaller]Fixed quote - .mace[/size]
Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 00:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually from reading this it doesn't seem like you can hit vehicles out of range. It seems due to this "No vehicle takes more than one hit until ALL the vehicles in the unit have each taken a hit" That, in fact the squadron becomes invincible after the vehicles in range have been hit. Since the range rule will still apply (I think it will at least) and no further hits can be assigned to the other vehicles but since the ones in range can't be shot at again till the others have taken a hit... We have an invincible pirhana!

Maybe? (Note I know this is rules lawyering and I'd never do it in a game)