Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dumb Question about bonding and HQ units
Old 21 Nov 2007, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dumb Question about bonding and HQ units

Here is my dumb question:
If you have an 'El with 2 bodyguards in a unit is bonding needed?
The way I see it you need to lose both bodyguard before you are under 50% and then all you have left is an independent character, so it would be useless.
Thanks.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Dumb Question about bonding and HQ units

erm.. well if you lose a wound on your commander somehow too, and have half a bodyguard left then you'll be under half strenght

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
erm.. well if you lose a wound on your commander somehow too, and have half a bodyguard left then you'll be under half strenght
a both odd and unlikely situation, seeing as you have to remove as many models as possible when taking casualties...
Old 21 Nov 2007, 14:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

well no because if your in close combat you can choose to attack the shaso if your in contact,lose a wound or two on him, lose one bodyguard amd take a wound on other, lose, run away, your under half strength

Old 21 Nov 2007, 15:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

^What he said.
But ideally he wouldn't be getting caught in close combat in the first place
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 15:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

well, here's a plausible scenario:

A StarCannon hits the team of the Shas'El and 2 Shas'Vre with both shots, as well as the under-mounted ShuriCannon(only one shot though). under the Torrent of Fire ruling, he chooses your Shas'El to be the first model to make a save, and you choose the ShuriCannon. He fails(darn), and both of the Shas'Vres die due to insta-death. Now, from what I understand, the IC rules kick in.

On the flip-side, if you are attacked with one LasCannon and 5 LasGun shots, then under ToF ruling, your Shas'el is again chosen, and takes one wound due to the LasGun. The LasCannon insta-gibs the Shas'Vre, and the last Shas'Vre takes a a wound. Right now, you are still scoring at half-strength, but if the Shas'el takes a wound from the last save he needs, the unit is below half-strength, and unscoring.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 15:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

and also if you have drones..

Old 21 Nov 2007, 16:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar

A StarCannon hits the team of the Shas'El and 2 Shas'Vre with both shots, as well as the under-mounted ShuriCannon(only one shot though).* under the Torrent of Fire ruling, he chooses your Shas'El to be the first model to make a save, and you choose the ShuriCannon.* He fails(darn), and both of the Shas'Vres die due to insta-death.* Now, from what I understand, the IC rules kick in.
Sorry, just had to point out, Starcannons don't instagib Crisis Suits, as Starcannons are only S6 and Crisis Suits are T4.* Other than that, yes. Perhaps you were thinking of the Pulse Laser?
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 16:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Guys. So it is safe to say that
a 3 man team or two man team will not benefit from being bonded in most situations because the independent character will not have to test for being under half strength. Add drones to the mix and bonding the unit is a must.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 17:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberwolfCY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar

A StarCannon hits the team of the Shas'El and 2 Shas'Vre with both shots, as well as the under-mounted ShuriCannon(only one shot though).  under the Torrent of Fire ruling, he chooses your Shas'El to be the first model to make a save, and you choose the ShuriCannon.  He fails(darn), and both of the Shas'Vres die due to insta-death.  Now, from what I understand, the IC rules kick in.
Sorry, just had to point out, Starcannons don't instagib Crisis Suits, as Starcannons are only S6 and Crisis Suits are T4.  Other than that, yes. Perhaps you were thinking of the Pulse Laser?
Haha thank you. Yes, I mean the Pulse Laser ;D

Any ideas how to take care of the VPs? The unit of 2 Shas'Vre+1 Shas'El is firmly below half-strength, and thus the opponent gets half VPs, but at the same time, you've effectively created a unit(assuming I'm correct, and IC status kicks in). While the non-scoring part stays the same, there is a transition in the rules that I don't particularly like in how the unit is treated. The 2 Shas'Vre+Shas'El unit is no longer on the battlefield(despite the fact that it was never truly "destroyed"), and a unit that didn't start the game(the IC Shas'El) is now on the tabletop. Any ideas about that?

As for drones-Bonding would be pretty good right about then. But give the drones to the Shas'Vre IMO. Thatway, when they get knocked off, you have an IC Shas'El, and you also don't have to deal with the mess of "My unit of Shas'El+2 SD is gone, but now I have a new unit of just as Shas'El".

I'm pretty sure there's a hole in the rulebook right about there, but could someone make sure I'm not missing a sentence or two from the book?
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote