Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

quick question.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default quick question.

hi all,

thinking of starting up tau again, but i need a army get going again.

basicaly it seems the prices still going up .. and it seems all these "box"sets do not save you money which seems wied, sinse i swear they used to have boxs/sets of units which together used to save you 50pound usealy.

all i can see now is boxs of units you somewhat woulnd even use.

anyone know where i can get a good starter bunch from? money isnt a problem but i rather buy a bulk of troops and save money than buy then indervidualy.

basicaly looking for hammerhead,delfish, lots of FW, crisis suits min of 3, broadsides 3 if possible.and commander.

wish you could get that in a box ..
any good ideas tips be great.otherwise il have to get them indervidualy.
shadowcreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: quick question.

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but the boxed sets in the US come out to a pretty good savings. Here's some examples:

Battleforce/ Megaforce ~= 40% off
Rapid Insertion ~=35% off
Armored Interdiction ~= 30% off
Hunder Cadre ~= 25% off

Also there's been a recent article posted about starting from the battleforce. I'm not sure where it is, but it should be easy to find. The Battleforce and Megaforce are really great deals. The only set that had everything that you wanted would be the Hunter Cadre, but it's direct only and is the least savings.

Personally, I got started recently too. I started with the megaforce, then got some pathfinders, extra tanks, and the Rapid Insertion force. I've spent about $400 and have around 3500 pts. My next purchase is going to be a Battleforce. It's a really good mix with great savings.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Apocalypse boxes will be a good start! Maybe slightly over kill on the crisis suit side.

For the suits:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...enu&WCE=Search

For the Tanks:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...3016&orignav=9

and the FireWarriors:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...L68&orignav=10

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 00:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Hello, Just as you I started purchasing Tau 3 months ago, And money has not been an issue also, I have purchase everything on e-bay and direct from Forge World, I figured out the final cost of everthing I've purchased so far including the Forge World stuff, it came out over 900 US dollars if purchased new from GW and FW, my cost so far has been under 400 US dollars including S/H, all items have been purchased new and unbuilt except for one Forge World R'ymr's Suit and two GW Piranhas kits that I pulled apart today. So if your looking to save a little more money which your post says you're not worried about, you could pick up those extra units or items not included in the boxed sets.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

wow.. i think il give the crisis spam a miss sinse i cant see 9 crisis going into my army atm...

i think these the best deals/box sets atm.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...e11&orignav=10

and
for the sm who loves his transports lol
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...056&orignav=10

pffff who need 9 rhinos lol like pfff
Old 23 Nov 2007, 22:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Like I said, about the hunter Cadre, It's only about 20-25% off while some of the other boxed sets offer much better savings. I actually thought that the Rapid Insertion force was one of the Apoc boxes most easily integrated into a 2k point list. Most people seem to have around two 3 man crisis teams and two commanders, and on top of that you get stealths and a mess of drones that can fill FA slots and be converted for shield drones too.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

For starting, I'd definitely recommend the Battleforce (See the link in my signature on starting an army!). If you have a bit more to spend, then I'd suggest grabbing one or both of the Apocalypse sets whilst they're still available. All of them are great value, to differing degrees. ALL of the bulk sets do save you money though, I've found, with the exception of Apocalypse sets, that Battleforces are the best value over here, more so than the Megaforces or the Troop/Transport box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcreaper
wow.. i think il give the crisis spam a miss sinse i cant see 9 crisis going into my army atm...

i think these the best deals/box sets atm.

and
for the sm who loves his transports lol
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...056&orignav=10

pffff who need 9 rhinos lol like pfff
As for these - the Tau Army looks good, if you have the money to get it, go for it! And the Space Marine set.. well it IS a complete Space Marine company so it has to have transports for each of the squads.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 23:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You know, I was looking at the datafax for the SM company in the Apocalypse book, and I just realised that it doesn't say anything about transports, even though they are pictured. You could just order some razorback/whirlwind/predator sprues and have a pretty cool army from that boxed set.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 01:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
You know, I was looking at the datafax for the SM company in the Apocalypse book, and I just realised that it doesn't say anything about transports, even though they are pictured. You could just order some razorback/whirlwind/predator sprues and have a pretty cool army from that boxed set.
Well, the transports are an option for each of the squads, you just have to have the squads listed as a bare minimum, but their upgrades are up to you. Though to keep in the theme of it, to have a full battle company you would need everything pictured there. But yes, it's a good place to start, just a tad expensive.. and a little overwhelming to have so much to put together.
Old 24 Nov 2007, 13:10   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i think this box the best opsion in mind.

gives you loads of FW, 24 and plenty of crisis broadsides ect along with tanks.

the battleforce is pretty good but personaly want a full army ready to go basicaly.

next thing is paints and colour s i guess. wish there was a computer programme where you can try out your colour sheames on tau /40k then it tells you at end when your happy with colours what that translates into games-workshop paints.