Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which race to the Tau work best against???
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Which race to the Tau work best against???

Which race to the Tau work best against? what are your veiws??
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Which race to the Tau work best against???

I am not sure how much it will have changed in the new codex, but I always found Tau to be most effective against Orks. Pulse Rifles work very well, as Orks are less likely to make good use of cover than Imperial Guard. Coupled with how good Crisis suits were at killing Trukks, it could make life very difficult for most Ork armies.

Tau are also very good against small, elite armies like Grey Knights or Deathwing, since the advantages these armies have don't really hurt the Tau very much, and their disadvantages line up very well with Tau strengths.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I am not sure how much it will have changed in the new codex, but I always found Tau to be most effective against Orks. Pulse Rifles work very well, as Orks are less likely to make good use of cover than Imperial Guard. Coupled with how good Crisis suits were at killing Trukks, it could make life very difficult for most Ork armies.

Tau are also very good against small, elite armies like Grey Knights or Deathwing, since the advantages these armies have don't really hurt the Tau very much, and their disadvantages line up very well with Tau strengths.
I agree with Khanaris. The new Ork codex looks worrying though. I have one other army to add to that; Tyranids, of any kind. Carnifex + Plasma rifles = doomed.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, i don't beleive you can answer this question. i mean it depends on how you use your army.

personally i have a mixture of mobile and static. so i can have a strong fire base (24 fire warriors with marker light support) to support my mobile suits, hammer heads and barracuda. so, if the onwards assault crumbles then the opposition still has to get throough at maximum 48 strenghth 5 ballistic skill 5 shots (rapid fire and marker lights used) that is bound to hurt.

but over all i like to play against space marines or necrons. my army is high AP and high strenghth so i like laughing as they marines say bye bye to power armour :P
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

personaly i say greyknights are quite good vs tau.

sinse their deep strike /teleport can real mess up your day, and orbital strikes can real be anoying if placed well.

shadowcreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

grey knight are good. get them as a distarction unit. the darkness rule thing can really mess up a fire warriors day
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
but over all i like to play against space marines or necrons. my army is high AP and high strenghth so i like laughing as they marines say bye bye to power armour :P
You like to play against Necrons! How do you win? I never can, the buggered resserection (sp?) orb keeps bringing them back to life. Even when the Buggered lords dead.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

simple. concentrate fire on one unit at a time and try to keep each unit away from each otehr. once isolated they fall quick enough. then when the whole unit is down then they can't get back up!!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 22:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Actually, assaulty-tau are very effective against shooty-crons. Necrons generally suffer in close combat due to the lack of high-str attacks or power weapons, and the prevalence of those items in other armies. Most of the necrons I face are focused on ranged firepower and unit durability...meaning large NecWarrior blocks.

However, those blocks are easily outnumbered. With a good number of kroot & hounds, you can easily wade through a large warrior blocks. For twenty necrons, I could have 36 kroot with 18 hounds. Thats 160+ attacks on the charge, with a lot of dakka to whittle the necrons down from cover until they come within charge range.

If that doesn't get the necrons, consider this model of one 10-man warrior block vs an equivalent of 16 kroot + 8 hounds (equal points value)

Lets say the kroot charged. 24*3= 72 attacks, half hit for 36, another half wound for 18, and a third of the necrons fail their armor saves for 6 dead crons. Four necron attacks cause 2 hits, 1-2 wounds and 1-2 dead kroot. Necrons take leadership at Ld6, most likely failing, running, and getting caught by the higher initiative. (even if the kroot roll a 1, the necrons only have a 50% chance of getting away)

But what if the necrons got the jump on the kroot? Well, the kroot still strike first. 48 attacks means 24 hits, 12 wounds and 4 dead Necrons. 12 necron attacks equal 6 hits equals 4 dead kroot. Tied combat. Next round (Tau turn, so no WBB), 40 attacks - 20 hits - 10 wounds - 3 dead crons. 3 necron attacks - 1-2 hits = 1 dead kroot. Necrons take leadership at Ld 5, fail and die.

This doesn't include the high-mobility of crisis suits/stealth suits (if ever there was an anti-cron...), support fire from sniper drone teams/broadsides/seeker missiles, or the fire-warrior teams with mass dakka FOF.
Thus why tau can kick cybernetic necron ass.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 08:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_matu

It all depends on what your attack and defense characteristics are (eg: Close combat, stealth, Ranged Combat, ect) my personal is stealth/ranged attack, most people who collect the Tau Empire are a Ranged combat with some kroot variations so what i would recommend is a good fast attack (vespids) or a really good way to insure that the game always ends with a win or draw (distacting the enemy for 6 turns). Hope i helped
Aussie_matu is offline   Reply With Quote