Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

On going grudge match, I'm going to need help!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default On going grudge match, I'm going to need help!

For the past year a friend and I have been battling each other to see who is the superior. Even though there are about 6 of us in the game group he and I have had it out for eachother for a long time and in between battles we usually tend to smack talk eachother quite a bit. So far I've been able to beat him in most games with at least a minor victory. I've also gotten two victorious slaughters against him. So according to our fluff our two commanders have been fighting eachother on an extended campaign. Since he is an IG player he continually gets new troops and so he is able to keep fighting me.

Anyway, to put an end to this massive grudge and to give someone the title of being the "better" general we're going to end it all off with a 3000 point game. My question to you is, what should I take? I know he'll be using three Russes (one of them being a demolisher), a hellhound, and four mounted storm troopers squads. So he has a boat load of armour backed up by a ton of infantry toting heavy weapons.

I play a hybrid army and so use an even mix of vehicles and foot sloggers. I have three Df, two Hammer Heads, four squads of fire warriors, two squads of stealth suits (xv 15, I can't stand the look of the 25), 7 xv8, one broadside, 28 kroot, a Parana, tons of gun drones and a pathfinder squad.

So what to you say I should take? Obviously the decision is up to me but I'm looking for some ideas to work from, and if you think I need to buy some new stuff, I'll go pick it up if its reasonable. Though I'll never buy a sky ray or vespid, I just don't see the point.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 01:49   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: On going grudge match, I'm going to need help!

play the new armageden(bad spell:P) rules.

but id take mass FW stealth to mow down his troops and pin them.

crisis il keep to anti tank duty, ie anti rhino ect.no anti infi i think needed.

hammers keep them rail guns, and some broadsides.

let him come to you then use kroot as screen so e has to attack them first,

watch for the lemons, they a bitch lol..and pray for no demonhunters EEEEK
shadowcreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think you have 3000 points with those models. If you tool everything out you might reach 3000 points. So my suggestion is to play a point level where you can field enough points without stretching.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 06:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

I'd suggest getting some more Broadsides- a squad of three with ASS, shield drones, and a target lock on the Shas'vre would provide a good counter to all the armor your friend is bringing. A fully loaded gun drone squadron would also be a nice trick- deepstrike it and unleash a mass of TL pulse shots onto rear armor or an infantry squad. Both hammerheads should take raliguns, if possible, because two submunition shots are better than one.

maybe get some more piranhas, so you can use them to screen your infanty and draw the fire of his anti-tank guns.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 11:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Buy a set of remoras if you are allowed FW rules. These are awesome tank hunters. They ruin rear armour like paper. These can really shift the battle.

Get some more broeadsides. Make them partially mobile as they have to cover the whole table.

Use the pathfinders for what they are worth. Mark as many targets as you can and send a hail of shots at them.

I would really advice you to buy a sky ray as the markerlights are brilliant and if you have to few weapons pointed somewhere you can send of a seeker...

Make an assault force of crisis and firewarriors to race up a flank and demolish them with FOF and JSJ...

I think this is the best advice i can give. I hope you win!
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 16:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have to agree with most of the posts here,
Get 1 or more broad sides with out delay. Broadsides are targets that get the attention they deserve.
If you field a full unit of them for tank busting that will let you use your hammer heads in pie plate mode.

Id also suggest giong the seeker missle rout. Max out the number of missles you can load on your tanks, my count is 10 based on what you posted.
Add a pirhana or 2 geared for tank busting ( either with fusion of just with thier own extra seekers)

Use your stealths for extra marker duty. small squads or 3 or 4 so you can get a few extra sneaky marker shots without risking your pathfinders. (I have 12 xv15s, I also dont like the look of the 25s. All 12 are modled with a marker and are used in that role. Try it if your group will allow you to grow and adapt your army).

Good luck, glad to hear your foe is guard and not a cron player. at least your targets stay dead.
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 20:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcreaper
watch for the lemons, they a bitch...
Yes, anything in the citrus family can cause serious problems.

Kelsik how do all of the XV15's get markerlights, I thought it was only an option for the Team Leader?
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2007, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

@ Kelsik: Haha, actually in my group there are 'cron, 'nids, guard, an armoured company, space marines, orcs, chaos, eldar and another guard army. The only reason why I have this on going grudge with the guard player is because I'm at the top of my game group right now and he wants to steal the title.

Thanks for the advice guys and ya I think I'm coming up about 500-600 points short. I'm going to grab another broadside for sure and probably a second parana. Then I'm going to switch one of my crisis teams out so that I can field ten stealth suits and then use the crisis in a second hq slot. I should be close. I'll post the army list either later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 23:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would still suggest a sky ray. Just temporarily. Make the turret swappable. Try it. I belive you will like it. I certaintly do.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2007, 04:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've had bad experiences with seeker missiles before in third edition. I'm sort of against them but maybe I could give it another shot. I don't like the idea of only having a limited supply of ammo. With a pathfinder squad you have the potential to fire all of them in one go and I've found seekers to be very unreliable. Though, you have a point about trying them and trying something new is the only way I'll learn so what the heck I'll proxy one and see how it goes! It might be fun trying something new because I've been using the same units in my army for like 5 years now and I've been in sort of a rut (a winning rut!), so something new to spice up the game a little might be fun. Thanks for being persistant.