Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle report: Tau vs Blood Angels 1500pts
Old 19 Nov 2007, 08:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot
Default Battle report: Tau vs Blood Angels 1500pts

Hello all, Thought I'd give a try at posting my first Battle Report, I played this game on Saturday Nov 17th.

A little history before getting starting, this was only my third game with my new Tau Army, the first two where to get used to how to use them and play wisely.

On to the game, We rolled to determine which game to play, we ended up with Seek and Destroy, a smile crossed my face as this mission would let me use my force to it's full capabilities shooting wise. Then we rolled to see if we got any additives (Alpha,Gamma,Omega) we got Alpha but I asked to at least add VP to help us determined how good our force selection was.

My Army List

HQ:

XV84 Shas'o; HWMT - HWBF - SG - TL - Markerlight - PR - MP
150pts

Elites:

2 XV8 Shas'ui; TLMP - TA
106pts

1 XV8 Shas'ui; TeamL - HWDC - HWMT - TLFB - MP w/2 SG
95pts

1 XV25 Shas'vre; TeamL - BK - TL - Markerlight - BC w/3 Shas'ui BC
140pts

Troops:

10 FW Shas'ui; TeamL - BK - TL - Markerlight all w/PR
130pts

10 FW Shas'ui; TeamL - BK - TL - Markerlight all w/PR
130pts

Fast Attack:

8 Gun Drones
96pts

8 Gun Drones
96pts

2 Tetra; DP - TL - TA - SS - BSF
146pts

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead; RG - SMS - DL - TL - MT - BSF - 2 Seekers
203pts

Hammerhead; IC - SMS - DL - TL - MT - BSF - 2 Seekers
170pts

Total 1464pts

His Army List

HQ:

Brother Corbulo; FG - KG - BP - CS
100pts

Chaplain; FG - KG - MB - CA - PP - R - Jump Pack
140pts

4 Death Company; FG - KG - BP - CS - Jump Pack
40pts

Elites:

Scout Sergeant; FG - KG - MB - BP - CS, 4 Scouts; FG - KG - BP - CB
85pts

Dreadnought; CCW - HF - TLLC - SL - SL
150pts

Troops:

Assault Sergeant; FG - KG - MB - PP - PW, 4 w/ FG - KG - 3 w/BP - CS - 1/PP
190pts

Tac. Sergeant; FG - KG - MB - PP - PW, 9 w/ FG - KG - BP - 8 BG - 1 Melta
Rhino w/ SB - DB - OCE - SL - SL
280pts

Tac. Sergeant; FG - KG - MB - PP - PW, 4 w/ FG - KG - BP - 3 BG - 1 Plasma
165pts

Heavy Support:

Dev. Sergeant; FG - KG - BP - PF,
4 w/ FG - KG - BP - 1 HB - 1 PC - 1 LC - 1 ML
235pts

Predator; AC - 2 LC - DB - SL - SL
135pts

Total 1500pts

So there they are, As a side note I'd never played Blood Angels before so I was looking forward to it, We diced for table edge and I choose the south side of the table, so he got the north edge, north being the top of the deployment map, we went with a 12" deployment zone from short side to short side with him deploying first. Here is a link to the board and deployment of our forces.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/DSCF2483.jpg

I had the digital camera with, but it decided not to play, next time remember to put in new batteries before going to game. I hope you can understand it. You will find the codes listed below.

Here are the codes for unit ID.

Tau

IC: Commander
GD: Gun Drones
ION: HH w/ Ion Cannon
FW: Fire Warriors
SS: Stealth Suits
C: Crisis Suits
T: Tetra's
RG: HH w/Rail Gun

Blood Angels

R: Rhino
TS: Tac Sqd
AS: Assault Sqd
P: Predator
C: Chaplain
DC: Death Company
HQ: Brother Corbulo
DS: Devastator Sqd
S: Scouts
D: Dreadnought

His deployment, Most of his units deployed within 4" of the 12" deployment line, of key interest are the units that deployed in the woods they where within the 4" of the edge so would give me LOS to them (Tac Sqd & Devastator Sqd), the only units that deployed to the rear where his Scouts & Predator and Death Company w/Chaplain attached to it, also of note Brother Corbulo attached to the Tac Sqd in the building ruins.

My Deployment, Every unit deployed behind cover or in cover with the only units he had LOS to were the Gun Drones and My Commander, also of note the Stealth Suits deployed at the very rear edge of the building which was seven inches in, so if he did get first turn he would only be able to target the Gun Drones. I learned that lessen the hard way my first too practices games.

My Tactical Plan, Starting from left to right, Move Tetra's out to mark targets and keep them running north into his deployment zone, The 2 Deathrains would jump shoot jump from their corner for the game jumping out of cover then jumping back behind the woods, The HHRG would move around the woods to the left then next movement would bring it back around to the right side of the woods, The Sunforge would walk into the woods and stay put in case the Rhino decided to head for my lines, The Stealth Suits would move forward to the edge of the ruins and paint targets until enemy units moved within range to engage with there BC, The FW deployed to the rear would also move forward in the ruins to engage targets as they closed in and mark targets, The FW behind the woods would do the same thing, The HHIC would move left of the rock and then swing back around to the right side the engage targets, The Gun Drones would screen the Commanders run up the right side of the table to gain a rear shooting postion on his units as they advanced towards my line. So there is my Commanders intent, hope it works.

The all important dice roll to see who starts first, I role a 2, even better he roles a 1, so I elect to go first.

Turn 1

Tau Movement:

Tetra's move just short of the center of the table to gain LOS on the Assault troops & Predator.
HHRG move around the woods to the 12" line.
Deathrains Jump out.
Sunforge Walks into the woods.
Stealth Suit DTT a 6" move to edge of the ruins.
FW DTT 5" move into the ruins.
FW DTT 4" into the woods.
HHIC moves 2" over the 12" line.
Gun Drones move forward along with the Commander.

Tau Shooting:

Tetra marks Assault Sqd & Predator.
HHRG releases both Seekers against the Predator, 1st shakes it 2nd bakes it, then engages the Rhino with SMS and shakes it, RG engages Assault Sqd w/sub and kills three.
Deathrains engage Tac Sqd in the trees but fail to hit.
Stealth Suits mark the Devastators but no targets in range for BC.
Ruins: FW TL marks Devastator and Sqd engages the remainder of the Assault Sqd and kills them.
Woods: FW TL marks Dreadnought Seeker release from HHIC and Immobilise & Shake it, and Sqd engages Tac Sqd in ruins and kills two.
HHIC fires SMS at Devastators 1 killed, uses marker (ballistic) Ion Cannon fires three more die leaves 1 remaining armed with a Las Cannon.
Commander marks Dreadnought last seeker hits and rips off its Las Cannon and then hits with Plasma but fails to hurt it further.
Deathrains Jump back behind woods.

Blood Angels Movement and Shooting

Tac.Sqd in the woods DTT 3" Fires at HHRG why ?
Tac.Sqd in ruins fires at Stealth Suits can't see them and elects to engage FW out of range by an 1.5".
Death Company jumps 12" straight forward no fire.
Lone Dev passes stand alone test and fires at HHIC and takes an Armament Destroyed roll he say Ion Cannon, I say DL, force him to re-roll and ends up Immobilised.
Scouts move in between rocks and trees.

Turn 2

Tau Movement

Tetra's Move back toward trees. Why ?
HHRG moves back around trees to other side.
Deathrains Jump from behind the woods.
Sunforge Jumps out of woods.
1st Gun Drones Sqd move west to intercept Death Company.
2nd Gun Drones Sgd move to intercept Scouts
Commander move closer to Dread to finish the kill.

Tau Shooting

Tetra's mark Tac Sqd in Woods. Why ?
HHRG fires everything at Tac Sqd, SMS kills 2 RG sub takes 2 more. Why ?
Deathrains fire at Tac Sqd, Kill 1
Sunforge fire MP at Tac Sqd, Fails to hit. Why ?
Stealth Suits TL marks Tac Sqd in ruins, Why ? remainder of Stealth suits fire on Death Company 8 hits 6 wounds 5 saves 1 dead.
Ruins: FW TL marks Tac. Sqd, (ballistic) Sqd fires on and kills 2.
Woods: FW TL marks Death Company, (ballistic) Sqd fires kills 1.
HHIC SMS fires on Death Company nothing, Ion fires and kill Las Cannon Marine.
1st Gun Drones Fire on Death Company 5 hits 3 wounds all saves.
2nd Gun Drones fire on Scouts 2 killed.
Commander fires on Dreadnought hits w/Plasma and strips off Heavy Flamer.
Deathrains jump back behind woods.
Sunforge Jumps back into the woods.
1st Gun Drones Assault Death Company hoping to tie them up. Why ? All but 1 die
2nd Gun Drones Assault Scouts. 4 Drones killed 1 Scout killed.
Commander Jumps along a parallel line to engage Death Company next turn in shooting.

Blood Angels Movement and Shooting and Close Combat

Rhino moves 12" to block line LOS on Tac.Sqd that moved out of woods, but in doing so blocks his own line of fire.
Ruins: Tac.Sqd rolls DDT moves forward 5", Engages Stealth Suits no wounds.
Death Company kills remaining Drone and move toward HHIC.
Scouts stay locked in no wounds from both sides.

Turn 3

Tau Movement

Tetras move to gain LOS on Rhino and remaining Tac.Sqd from woods.
HHRG moves to the rear of Rhino and Tac.Sqd.
Deathrains Jump out to engage Rhino.
Sunforge Jumps out to engage Rhino and Tac.Sqd.
Stealth Suits jump out to engage Death Company.
Ruins: FW hold to engage Death Company.
Woods: FW DDT 5" to the rear.
Commander moves backwards just in case Scouts kill off the remaining drones.

Tau Shooting

Tetra's mark Rhino and Tac.Sqd
HHRG fires SMS and kills 2 Marines, RG fires on Rhino and Immobilises it.
Deathrains fire on Rhino and finish it off.
Sunforge MP fails to hit, FB kills 1 more.

Blood Angels Commander calls the game.

As it stood he ended up with.
Two from the Tac.Sqd from the woods.
Four from Tac.sqd from the ruins plus Commander.
Three Death Company Marines plus the Chaplain.
Two Scouts
Immobilised Dreadnought.

Tau Losses

1 Full Gun Drone Sqd.
4 Gun Drones from another
Immobilised Hammerhead

Conclusion:

Thinking back I should not have moved the Drones into CC with the Death Company or the Scouts, and should have move the HHRG down to support the units engaging the Death Company instead, I think in the long run the Deathrains and the Sunforge could have finished off the Tac.Sqd from the woods along with the Rhino, Also should have kept the FW in the woods and combined all fire from the FW and Stealth Suits into the remaining Tac.Sqd from the ruins. In the end we agreed that he would have had nothing living at the end of turn six of his army. So in my books that equals out to a huge VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTER FOR THE GREATER GOOD

TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default Re: Battle report: Tau vs Blood Angels 1500pts

Pretty good battle report overall, but I have a few qualms.

The writing itself, once you got to the actual game turns, was almost too concise, so much so that I had trouble putting 2 and 2 together sometimes. So, if some of my following corrections are in error, feel free to correct me back or ignore me, though if I am right, or there was an error in your writing, you should change how you play and/or modify and correct your post.

Mostly however my qualms have to do with terrain and rules.

First, since terrain is almost entirely a matter of taste, the rules.

Quote:
HHRG releases both Seekers against the Predator, 1st shakes it 2nd bakes it, then engages the Rhino with SMS and shakes it, RG engages Assault Sqd w/sub and kills three.
Unless I missed something, you only had one Markerlight for these to be launched by. You cannot fire Seeker Missiles from vehicles without another Markerlight marking the target, and one ML hit=1 Seeker, max.
Quote:
Stealth Suit DTT a 6" move to edge of the ruins.
Stealth Suits mark the Devastators but no targets in range for BC.
You cannot move an Infantry unit and fire Heavy Weapons, unless there is a special unit rule stating otherwise. Markerlights are Heavy Weapons, and Stealth Suits are Jump Infantry (Jet Pack). This does give them special rules regarding Rapid Fire weapons, but not Heavy Weapons. Also, although you don't say you were going to use the ML to amp up the Stealth's firing, you imply it; remember that a unit's Markerlight cannot benifit its own unit, unless it's a Networked Markerlight, which is only available to two models IIRC: the Sniper Drone Team Spotter, and Marker Drones. Remember also that only the Team Leader/Shas'vre of a Stealth team can get a Markerlight, not all the Stealths. Finally, since the Stealth Suits weren't in your army list, I can't verify if they had A.S.S., which would be the Tau special rule that lets battlesuits move as if in Difficult Terrain and still fire Heavy Weapons; this final point refers to the somewhat haphazard writing of the post.
Quote:
Tac.Sqd in ruins fires at Stealth Suits can't see them and elects to engage FW out of range by an 1.5".
If your opponent elects to fire at a unit when Night Fighting is in effect (true for the Stealths) and they can't see the unit/aren't in range, they sacrifice that unit's shooting; they lose the shooting from that unit. They may always elect to shoot past units with a Stealth field without taking a Target Priority test if they wish, but apparently that didn't happen. You need to use this rule to your advantage to prevent your opponent from measuring distance all over the board and abusing the firing rules, which he may be doing to get a better idea of distance for other units.
Quote:
Ruins: FW TL marks Tac. Sqd, (ballistic) Sqd fires on and kills 2.
Again with the Networked/Standard Marklight rulings. Did you mean to say you marked them for other shooting, or you used that FW unit's same ML for uping their BS? If so, you were wrong...
Quote:
Woods: FW TL marks Death Company, (ballistic) Sqd fires kills 1.
As above.

If I interpreted your post correctly, most of your rules problems were with how to use the Markerlights.

Finally, terrain. Who set it up? It was a killing field! I mean seriously, there is no way you could have expected to lose that game with an open field in the center and him charging across it. I would recommend finding a more fair way of setting up terrain. My group uses a very refined terrain generator that rarely fails us, and when it does, we just rescatter the terrain till we find something fair for both sides. A lot of people don't like terrain generators though, so that would be your call.

Anywho, I didn't mean to come down on you hard or anything, but as you said yourself, this was only your third game, so I wanted to help you out as much as I could. Sorry if it seems like I'm going on a tyrade or something.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

It's always good to see more battle reports, and Timberwolf that's a great reply, +1 cookie to both of you!

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

First off, A big thank you to TimberwolfCY for chewing up my Battle Report and catching my errors in play.

And Vash113 thanks for the cookie for the both of us. Always looking to help someone out for The Greater Good.

I don't know how to do the Quote thing, So I'll start out with this first.

The terrain was placed by both of us, we rolled a D6 apeice and added them together for the total number of terrain pieces to be used, he placed it thinking of an open killing ground for his devastator and predator, and it just happened to leave a large killing zone in the middle.

I do now relive that I made a couple mistakes with the rules on the Markerlights IE (Heavy 1, FW - Stealth Suits), so will have to adjust my playing methods with them in mind (slaps hand) being only my third game got to have some mistakes to learn from them, and to have more experainced players as yourself help improve my playing skills.

No you didn't come across to strong, being former military I've had far more harder ass chewing then anyone could ever dish out on this site, plus thats the kind of feedback I was looking for. Will slap a big yellow post it note on the back of the FW - Stealth Suits to say Can't mark if you move dummy.

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
Old 19 Nov 2007, 22:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Wow, thanks a lot for the Karma Vash, I was not anticipating that at all. As XV88-2 said, I was just doing my part for the Greater Good of the site, and trying to help out a fellow player.

XV88-2, I'm glad I didn't come off as too strong. I have some military background as well, but not formally (I did JROTC in high school, but fortunately I never did anything bad enough to warrant a serious chewing out...although, I did piss off some drill sergeants at our summer camp, heh). Like I just said, I just wanted to help out. Like I said said also though, that was a good BatRep overall; it's nice seeing the Blood Angels get wiped, even if it wasn't totally fair...I'm not to fond of the BA codex...
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 20 Nov 2007, 03:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think you made a mistake with the decoy launcher rules here.
Quote:
Lone Dev passes stand alone test and fires at HHIC and takes an Armament Destroyed roll he say Ion Cannon, I say DL, force him to re-roll and ends up Immobilised.
Decoy launchers allow you to force your opponent to reroll an immobilized result on a glancing hit, not an armament destroyed result. Also, if you moved the hammerhead more than 6" in the previous phase, something you always want to do because a skimmer moving over 6" reduces all penetrating hits to glancing, then the immobilized result would cause the hammerhead to crash and be destroyed.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 04:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Commander_Vimes, Thanks for taking your time to read and find faults in my play, or a misunderstanding of the rules, your help increases my ability to play the Army to it's full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Quote:
Decoy launchers allow you to force your opponent to reroll an immobilized result on a glancing hit, not an armament destroyed result. Also, if you moved the hammerhead more than 6" in the previous phase, something you always want to do because a skimmer moving over 6" reduces all penetrating hits to glancing, then the immobilized result would cause the hammerhead to crash and be destroyed.
OK so if I moved greater then 6" which I did, and he hits and scores a Armament Destroyed on the Glancing table it stays as a Armament Destroyed and does not allow a re roll on the Glancing Table correct if I'm following this right ?

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

Old 20 Nov 2007, 04:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV88-2 Pilot
Commander_Vimes, Thanks for taking your time to read and find faults in my play, or a misunderstanding of the rules, your help increases my ability to play the Army to it's full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Quote:
OK so if I moved greater then 6" which I did, and he hits and scores a Armament Destroyed on the Glancing table it stays as a Armament Destroyed and does not allow a re roll on the Glancing Table correct if I'm following this right ?
Correct. Two separate rules here, Skimmers moving fast (Page 69) of the rulebook downgrades everything to Glancing hits, and the Decoy Launchers (some page in the codex, don't remember off the top of my head) allows you to force a re-roll on Immobilised hits only and nothing else.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 02:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey for those that have replied, I sent an email to the other player and owned up on the mistakes I made during the game and asked if he would like to replay the mission again this coming weekend and do something a little better with the terrain we had set up.

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

Old 21 Nov 2007, 03:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hey man, that's really cool of you. I think the terrain setup was probably the worst problem for him honestly. However, remember that terrain has three ways: either totally anti-shooting (ie., lots of blocked LoS so you can't shoot the opponent at all), totally anti-assault (what happened with you guys, or perhaps planet bowling ball), and a balance somewhere inbetween. Do your best to find that balance, otherwise it's not going to be a fair game one way or the other.