Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does anyone else think the Tau look a lot like the Covenant from Halo?
Old 17 Nov 2007, 15:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Does anyone else think the Tau look a lot like the Covenant from Halo?

Yeah, I'm a huge halo fan, and couldn't help but notice that the devilfish and hammerhead with an ion cannon look alot like Wraiths, while the phirannahs look like giant ghosts, Aun'va looks like the Prophet of Truth, and the firewarriors can look like Elites if painted in certain colors. Is this just a coincidence and that I'm paranoid?
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Does anyone els think the Tau look alot like the covenant from Halo?

Yup, a friend of mine (A big time halo fan for reasons I'll never know) pretty much went ballistic when the new tau book came out with it's Space Pope and Vespids.

Interestingly, I recently attended a tourney where a guy had taken this similarity and turned it into a theme. He had actually converted up a bunch of Grunts as his Fire Warriors!
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Does anyone els think the Tau look alot like the covenant from Halo?

Quote:
Interestingly, I recently attended a tourney where a guy had taken this similarity and turned it into a theme. He had actually converted up a bunch of Grunts as his Fire Warriors!
That has to be bad karma right there...

"How have my Fire Warriors not hit anything in five turns?! How did I just fail three morale checks, including Space Pope rerolls?!"
"Because... uhh... they look like the most annoying and downright useless adversaries to ever exist in FPS gaming?"
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2007, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
That has to be bad karma right there...

"How have my Fire Warriors not hit anything in five turns?! How did I just fail three morale checks, including Space Pope rerolls?!"
"Because... uhh... they look like the most annoying and downright useless adversaries to ever exist in FPS gaming?"
High-larious!

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask him about the competence of his fire warriors.
Quote:
Old 17 Nov 2007, 17:06   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Does anyone else think the Tau look a lot like the Covenant from Halo?

Aun'va is possible, as are the Piranhas. The original Codex:Tau and the Hammerheads were developed at the same time as Halo, though, so any resemblance there is most likely coincidental.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2007, 22:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha
Default Re: Does anyone else think the Tau look a lot like the Covenant from Halo?

Is anyone else suddenly picturing conversions for hunter-Broadsides, sentinel drones, and BruteKroot?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2007, 23:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yep... But i dont think i will make any.

I allready have a 3000p Tau list that i want to do. And my Elysian list is beginning to take shape.

Its just a matter of time before i begin with that one too...

But yes. I can see the resemblances..
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Is anyone else suddenly picturing conversions for hunter-Broadsides, sentinel drones, and BruteKroot?
He had the Hunter Broadsides. Although I have to say his Elite-Suits were the best of all. Basically stealthsuit bodies with gaunt heads modified to have those mandible things and the carapace smoothed into armour
Quote:
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:37   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
He had the Hunter Broadsides. Although I have to say his Elite-Suits were the best of all. Basically stealthsuit bodies with gaunt heads modified to have those mandible things and the carapace smoothed into armour
Do you have pictures of these conversions?

No One Expects The Inquisition This Early.
Starting Space Wolves and =][=
Kruse Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 01:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanter
Yeah, I'm a huge halo fan, and couldn't help but notice that the devilfish and hammerhead with an ion cannon look alot like Wraiths, while the phirannahs look like giant ghosts, Aun'va looks like the Prophet of Truth, and the firewarriors can look like Elites if painted in certain colors. Is this just a coincidence and that I'm paranoid?
You're not paranoid, you're merely suffering from delusions of grandeur. The Tau Empire was introduced long before anybody even knew what Halo was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Yup, a friend of mine (A big time halo fan for reasons I'll never know) pretty much went ballistic when the new tau book came out with it's Space Pope and Vespids.
Wait, what? What are the Vespids similar to in your friend's connection-forging mind? I can't think of anything besides those ridiculous Drones, which bear no resemblance save that they fly around...

Quote:
Even though the closest thing the Covenant has to a Fire Warrior is a Jackal with a beam rifle. :

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote