Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Race for the Empire
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New Race for the Empire

hey, so, i'm taking a little break from writing- it does get to the fingers eventually- and i decided to think up something new.

Now, there's been a lot of talk about making new units and races for the Empire- and now with Apoc we know of 2 more which will probably never manifest.

So, that being said- why don't we have a little contest? TO and ATT are the primary 40k sites out there next to Warseer- most people like what we come up with. For the next few days, put forth a race that you would like to add to the Empire- come up with fluff or background (no rules- not yet) and then we'll make a poll. Then we can agree on some rules.

Nothing broken- but something fluffy- i'm sure everyone has noticed the giant step GW has taken in trying to universlize everything (no more fluff driven rules).

Sound good?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New Race for the Empire

What's available?

Mass CC : Orks, Tyranids.
Mass Shooty : IG
Elite CC : Eldar, Daemonhunters? Dark Eldar, Blood Angels
Elite Shooty : Tau
Mass Good-at-everything : Inquisition
Elite Good-at-everything : Space Marines, CSMs, Necrons?
Mech-y : Mech IG, Mech Orks, Mech Tau, Mech Eldar/D. Eldar
Footslogg-y : Everybody else.

Above mini-table is purely opinion. I've seen shooty Orks, etc.

The way I look at it, we need a new Mass Good at Everything. Something with either a respectable armor save or a high WS/S/T catagory to handle CC , and a respectable basic rifle.

The Aquids - Amphibious Race, from the Ocean-World of Cyrillor.

Think Lizardmen from WFB.

Not sure if I could post "theoretical basic stats" here or not, so I'll just modify later.

Uses harpoon weaponry, but modified for land combat with smaller harpoons and a can-explode-while-wet type of gunpowder.

Would look Lizardmen-ish, however they would wear some armor that would double as a oxygen-inserting mechanism for their gills. Cool masks a must.

Psychic level : Low, but not as low as Tau. Some gifted shamans exist, able to affect their enviroment. Have spells such as a mud volcano kind of thing, a blast of water from the soil creating a large blast marker of +4 cover save and also gives any Aquids in it stealth. To other races, counts as difficult terrain.

Yeah, gonna wait for reactions before I do any more typing.

Edit : Holy JEEZ I thought this was a new STANDALONE Army, rofl.

But, hey, I'm still sticking to my idea. Aquids are cool.

Compared to Gue'vesa, these guys would have better weapons options (Not Tau ones, like aquathermic cannons or something. Splash 10,000 degree ball of water on something, makes it hot, steam is so strong it pulls up the metal or whatever with it!

Yeah.

Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

don't think about what we need- but what would make interesting, better games.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

more options for fire warriors squads,

farsight enclave getting their own codex (like feral orks, blood angels etc)
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

as I've yelled often enough at my friends (Eldar and Dark Eldar players), I wanna be able to field Jetbikes as well.

So I don't really care what species flies 'em, I just want jetbikes. Maybe a Fusion Blaster-ish weapon here, or perhaps just markerlights there... >>; you get the picture: a non-squishy, non-vehicle unit that's capable of moving about at great speeds during the MOVEMENT phase. (JSJ is fine and dandy but often no more than jumping out of and into cover)
Vespid are pretty close, but their poor armor save is unfortunate.

I'm thinking something like... T4, 4+ armor save, BS3, or 4 (in which case they obviously won't get anything ridiculously powerful).

and if not jetbikes, then for a change, how about a unit that's great at wrecking squads, rather than whittling them down like most Tau units do?

PS: I do apologize if my post is incoherent. It's 3 am and I think I'm just typing whatever first comes to mind.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
don't think about what we need- but what would make interesting, better games.
Calmsword has a point. The Tau don't find races that supplement their weaknesses, but rather seek out races that compliment their strengths.

Given that the Empire will be expanding into heavily-populated Imperial space, perhaps an ally that handles urban combat well?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

6-armed bears on jetbikes. Dunno what to call 'em.

Some sort of psychic race, perhaps? You'd get a single model, and it'd cast little spells.

You know, an AP2 Apocalyptic blast template here, a Vortex grenade-effect there. :P

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 02:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not sure about tactically, but I'd like to see something maybe more non-humanoid, or at least larger. The 40k universe isn't like Star Trek where everybody is man-like. How about some kind of carnifex sized reptiles. I don't want monstrous creatures per se (even though it would be awesome), but maybe something that can be bought in a unit of one to two, carrying an ion cannon each with the power pack on their backs. It'd give more character to the army, and get a bit more use out of ion cannons, which are one of the better weapons for the tau, but get overshadowed by the railguns a lot.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 03:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i like the idea of something urban-oriented... hrm. and i do like the idea of something less humanoid...

You remember the Engineers from halo? maybe something like that? I would really like an emphasis on support. The Tau used to have this in the form of the ethereal- which i really liked since all the other races HQ were so bad-a$$. But they essentially took that away with the new LOS rule.

But what new race (which is what this post is about- not new gear or new Tau units) would do that?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 03:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Well, the psychic support race, perhaps. No LOS required. LD test = cover save bonus to selected squad, or some such.

A bit like a Farseer.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote