Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I suddenly hate deep striking...
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default I suddenly hate deep striking...

OK, so I was playing a game this weekend against Chaos. Everything was going well, I had a full squad of Pathfinders (With Shield Drones) hold off an Assault Bike squad of about 7 for 4 full turns, my Railhead and Plasmahead (Forge World variant) were sinking their shots and my Piranhas took care of his Preditor with ease. The only problem was my O'R'myr refused to come in! The entire game! I was planing by turn 3 (At the worst) that he'd Deep Strike, take out a few close units with himself and his body guards and move on to other targets the next turn. BUT NO! Turn 2: rolled a 3 for Deep Strike. And EVERY turn after that I rolled 1s! Just felt this horid luck had to be shared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree
Default Re: I suddenly hate deep striking...

I have some advice.

1. Get new dice

2. Get a new O'R'myr
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

TipTop1987, If you can spare the points run an extra commander with positional relay, 1 unit of your choice but only one on a two plus roll second turn.

TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Personally I'd suggest not deep striking unless you have a very good reason to. Deep striking is simply very unreliable, the chance to scatter into a poor position, or arrive late in the game. These things can be helped by positional relays and the systems on a Pathfinder Devilfish but it's still down to a great deal of chance. Personally I rather prefere having my entire army on the field at the start of the game.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 01:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, the Pos Relay is great for any instance where you really need reserves to be on time. It's not useful if you only really have one unit and it's not a game stopper, or if you have lots of units and the 1 2+ roll per turn thing will keep a lot of you models in reserve.

Regardless, he'll automatically come in on turn 5 right?
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2007, 02:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree Vash the entire army on the board turn 1 most of the time.

Sometimes if I smell lots of hidden ordinance I'll try and deepstrike a team of cheaprains and/or my Shas'El who is currently a Thunderfire- 7 (AFP, TL:MP, HWMT).

Old 14 Nov 2007, 02:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Have to agree, deep strike in it's current incarnation sucks, and rarely confers any kind of bonus. Why always 2D6, it's like they wan't your DS unit to die or something? Is losing several previous turns in the game to do something, as well as just coming in at some random turn Not punishment enough?

In a team game I had recently a unit of warp spiders DS next to my broadsides (scattered there), failed to do any damage what so ever in shooting (did I mention they had the autarch with them), and were subsequently annihilated by a bezerker counter charge (remember team game ;D). I took a squad of drones just for the hell of it, but guess what, they never made it in too :-[, at least they didn't cost that much.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 21:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ok, I don't understand the Reserves rule. I read it over and over, but are units restricted or do you get to pick? The Positional Relay says you get to bring in one unit of your choice, which would imply you don't usually get to choose, so what's the order? I distantly remember reading something about the order but I can't remember.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
Ok, I don't understand the Reserves rule. I read it over and over, but are units restricted or do you get to pick? The Positional Relay says you get to bring in one unit of your choice, which would imply you don't usually get to choose, so what's the order? I distantly remember reading something about the order but I can't remember.
As soon as possible (e.g. turn 2) - you have to start rolling a d6 for each unit in reserve. The result of that roll determines whether or not that unit comes on, as described in the rulebook - and you repeat this process for every unit in reserve. So 'normally' - you don't get to pick - it's all decided by dice rolls and chance.

If you have the Positional Relay allows you to use an improved d6 roll for a unit that you choose to get them onto the table.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
As soon as possible (e.g. turn 2) - you have to start rolling a d6 for each unit in reserve. The result of that roll determines whether or not that unit comes on, as described in the rulebook - and you repeat this process for every unit in reserve. So 'normally' - you don't get to pick - it's all decided by dice rolls and chance.

If you have the Positional Relay allows you to use an improved d6 roll for a unit that you choose to get them onto the table.
I understand that but let's say I have a Hammerhead and fire warrior squad and a Piranha. Since I want the Hammerhead to come on, I roll and if I get a X+ it comes on, correct? So I do still get to choose which unit comes on, I just don't choose WHEN it comes on.

Or am I just missing a key element? ???
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote