Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'Ui
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce 'Shas'Ui'?
Shas 'Yooie' 13 20.00%
Shas 'Wee' 45 69.23%
Shas 'Why' 0 0%
Other, obscure pronounciation 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shas'Ui

I've heard Shas'Ui pronounced in a variety of different ways, I wondered which is the most popular, or if there was a 'standard' pronounciation.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Shas'Ui

I pronounced it "Yooie" until listening to the dialogue from Dark Crusade.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Same here, Elliott.

Dark Crusade pronounces them Shaz-wee and Shaz-vray, and considering they worked closely with Games Workshop to get their facts straight (for the most part), I'm gonna have to go with their pronunciation.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I pronounce it "ooi" with the I pronounced as in 'it'. I pronounce the Shas as it sounds with the last 'S' as in "Pass". So it sounds like Shass'ooi.

Rikimaru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: That place where, stereotypically, we all drink tea and wear top hats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Same here, Elliott.

Dark Crusade pronounces them Shaz-wee and Shaz-vray, and considering they worked closely with Games Workshop to get their facts straight (for the most part), I'm gonna have to go with their pronunciation.
Depends how you fast you're saying it, I find. If I were to say it slowly, I'd say it "Yooi", but it tends to get blurred into "Wee" when I say it at my normal speed.
92% of forum users have signatures which explain how they are part of an 8% minority. If you are part of the 8% that don't, copy and paste this into your signature, and duck when the paradoxial nature of this action causes a rip in the space-time continuum.

Quote:
+++Your avatar is my worst nightmare.+++
Sven the Kaiser of Krieg, On my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The Orkoid understanding of Force Field technology is staggering. The Imperium is a long way behind, and the Tau are, by comparisson, jumping up and down screaming "Witch! Witch!".
Askaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I go with shas ooie instead of yooie.

I never even noticed that shas'vre gets mentioned in Dark Crusade. I did note that Cadre gets pronounced as cahdreh which just sounds odd. I'm used to cadray or cahdray.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeh I used to pronounce 'Ui' 'oo-ee' but now i pronounce it 'wee'. Also I used to pronounce Cadre 'cad-eer' but now I pronounce it 'cad-re'. All thanks to Dark Crusade; "The Cadre is counting on us" - Broadsides.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks a lot, I was too embarrassed to ask!
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askaris
Depends how you fast you're saying it, I find. If I were to say it slowly, I'd say it "Yooi", but it tends to get blurred into "Wee" when I say it at my normal speed.
The Tau in Dark Crusade speak slowly and deliberately enough, just click around on a couple of them and you'll see for yourself. Shaz-wee is how they say it, plain and simple. If there was even the slightest bit of annunciation on the 'oo' part, you should be able to pick it out...

Other pronunciations from Dark Crusade are as follows:

Shas'la = Shaz-lah
Shas'vre = Shaz-vray
Shas'o = Shaz-oh

And possibly the weirdest:

Aun'el = A-oon-ell

I personally have always pronounced Aun, 'Ahn'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
I never even noticed that shas'vre gets mentioned in Dark Crusade. I did note that Cadre gets pronounced as cahdreh which just sounds odd. I'm used to cadray or cahdray.
I believe it's the Stealth Suits, once you've upgraded them to include a Team Leader, that start saying "Shaz-vray".

Regarding Cadre, according to the American Heritage Dictionary, it can be pronounced either Ca-dray, Ca-druh, or Ca-dree, all the same.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2007, 21:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

As a French speaker I tend to go with:

Shas-lah
Shas-wee pronouced a bit more like the French pronoun 'Lui'
Shas-vray
Shas-oh

and Aun- Aoon (I pronoubce it as a diphtongue)

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote