Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My almost 1000 pts list
Closed Thread
Old 27 Mar 2005, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My almost 1000 pts list

This list contains all the models i own of Tau. And is for killing a gaurd player. who dosent have much tanks just alot of guys.
Any suggestions or comments much appreiciated!! Thankyou
HQ:

Shas'O

Twin linked Burst Cannon
Flamer
Multitracker
102 pts

Elite:

Monat Crisis
Burst Cannon
Flamer
MultiTracker
51 Pts

Monat Crisis

Burst Cannon
Flamer
Multitracker
51 Pts

Troops:

8 Fire Warriors 80 Pts

Shasui with Drone Controller +15 Pts

2 drones + 20 Pts
115 Pts

12 Fire Warriors 120 Pts

Shasui with Drone Controller +15 pts

2 drones +20 pts
155 pts

12 Fire Warriors 120 pts

Mounted in Devil Fish 95 pts
(Multitracker 10pts Diruption Pod 5 pts)
215 pts

12 Kroot 84 pts

Fast Attack:

8 Gun drones 96 pts

Heavy Support:

Monat Broadside
TL Railgun
SMS

Multitracker +5pts
75 pts

Total* *944 pts
Old 27 Mar 2005, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: My almost 1000 pts list

Imation:

I think it would be a really big help to perhaps tell us what problems you're having in the first place? Because otherwise, you may receive a horde of redundant information when confronting a non-vehicle heavy guard army (ie: I expect you will hear Railgun submunition from everyone even though you don't have a hammerhead).

Your suits seem to be very close range, and the rest of your army is pretty hybrid in terms of mobility and static. So are you simply not able to outgun him? Because that's possible--the Guard as a horde list can really get a lot of guns, and with enough models they can easily outlast you since you have to be close with most of your units to unleash your power which means his whole army can see you too. Horde armies can take down armor and absorb low ap and quite a bit of volume fire. But templates really make big impacts, but unfortunately Tau do not have many templates. Flamers on Suits can work, but I'd really ill-advise them against a horde of guardsmen, you may cook a few but next turn you'll eat 60+ lasguns and some missiles, autocannons, heavy bolters, or lascannons aftwards. Your flamer and burst cannon could kill an entire infantry squad, but if he has 6 of them, you're in trouble, you know?

So the more info you can give us, the better the help we can give back
Old 27 Mar 2005, 02:36   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Lol alright. I will tell you what i know about his army> I havent played him yet.

I know he is catachan. So no lascannons.
I know he has about a billion guys with flamers and heavy flamers <----(were and what are the rules for those suckers anyway.)
I think he might have a couple squads with rockets or bolters.
Maybe some veterans.
His sarges are armed with power fists i believe.
ANd 1 or 2 hellhounds.
I think thats about it.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 03:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

OW! LOADS OF TEMPLATES!!

That'l hurt if they hit your lines... Um..

a Heavy Flamer btw, is Str. 5 AP 4.. not fun for tau....

And a Hellhounds inferno cannon... also not fun...

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I dont have any railheads . I wish i had some more money.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 04:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ahh, see, that helps a lot knowing it's catachan. The heavy flamers are not that much of a worry since they'll be on slow units, not fast ones (except a Chimera of course). The hellhounds have easy armor to bust, even though it's a very dangerous tank against the Tau units on foot.

Now sadly, this is an army that you really wanted Missile Pods on those Crisis suits, to bust his fast deadly armor. Unfortunately you don't have anything to break that armor 12 except for a single broadside, but he has two hellhounds.

In this case, lacking Anti-armor support, I would actually for once advise the use of Seeker Missiles. You could fit a few markerlights into your firewarriors for the chance to light up his hellhounds, and put a seeker into it. Though it may take more than one seeker to bust each tank. These markerlights might also help take away his cover saves.

Basically, you have a slower force with not nearly enough anti-tank support, compared to his faster list with more bodies and lots of weapons that will pose a threat to you.

Seriously, if you have the ability to take some missile pods against this foe--take it (instead of the flamers). Burstcannon + Missile pod is a great setup and really effective against these non-marine armies. Tau armies lack when it comes to the "in between" weapons between the S5 pulse weapons and the S10 railgun--that's where the missile pod comes in handy with multi shots and great range and it's assault type. If you can change them out, I'd recommend it. Flamers are too close and personal for a suit to use in a non-city fight situation like this.

You don't have to worry too much about the Catachans breaking your armor, since catachans lack a lot of anti-armor as they're a light infantry army (like Kroot even). Your Kroot will do good against them in that setting (shooting that is) since you can get the same abilities as he does in the woods. If you had any more armored vehicles, they'd really up your stability against him.

Basically, you need to kill his hellhounds A.S.A.P.
Then bust any squad with a ranged weapon that moves fast, or is too close for comfort.
Then just mow the rest with ease as you'll have range and dominating weapons overall.

The only way to break his hellhounds is with your Broadside currently, so you -really- need to hit and penetrate that thing. Beware of his inferno cannon--it fires 24 inches and will be wounding on 2's and beating all of your armor except for your crisis (ap4!). Also, it never totally misses, so don't expect that to help you each turn. You'll need 2 turns minimum to bust his tanks. That's not reliable. I would really suggest seekers to help that happen more effectively. It's expensive, but it may just save half of your army from burning to death under the template of the hellhounds. Your two foot squads to get the markerlights. Your devilfish can carry 4 seeker missiles.

Good luck man, you'll need it!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

the easiest way to fix this would be to mount up, he doesnt have much AT and a lot of flamers, simply mounting hthe squads and loadin up on railheads would almost make it an auto win ^-^.

but sadly you dont seem to have the funds to do that ^-^, I'd advise against kroot as flamers strip their coversaves and nake kroot s*ck ;D, just dont play in woodland terrain :, or take PF.

invest in a HH soon .

I'm not the best at tactics for static FW formations but "Shoot them" might work
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread