Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Long-Barreled Burst Cannons
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Long-Barreled Burst Cannons

I know it's probably been discussed a million times already, but i was wondering: what the difference is between a normal XV-8 burst cannon and a Long-Barreled burst cannon?
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree
Default Re: Long-Barreled Burst Cannons

I think it is actaully its range or a anti-aircraft weapon for Apocolypes games.
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

It has a longer range. Though if you look at a lot of the IA books, they say that the range of a LB Burst cannon is 36", that's actually too long according to the VDR. (It should only be 27", 150% of the original range.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah well, the IA books are still around, while the VDR are gone.

Ya'll know the alpha Hammerheads right? The ones with twinlinked LB Burst cannon, fusion blaster, and plasma rifle, right? Well, I'm wondering, why can't a Devilfish have any of that stuff? I mean, it'd be like the Predator tank.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 01:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
Yeah well, the IA books are still around, while the VDR are gone.

Ya'll know the alpha Hammerheads right? The ones with twinlinked LB Burst cannon, fusion blaster, and plasma rifle, right? Well, I'm wondering, why can't a Devilfish have any of that stuff? I mean, it'd be like the Predator tank.
No, I don't know alpha Hammerheads! Link please!

Also, they're 36 inch range. Remoras and a few other vehicles have 'em.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
Quote:
Yeah well, the IA books are still around, while the VDR are gone. Ya'll know the alpha Hammerheads right? The ones with twinlinked LB Burst cannon, fusion blaster, and plasma rifle, right? Well, I'm wondering, why can't a Devilfish have any of that stuff? I mean, it'd be like the Predator tank.
No, I don't know alpha Hammerheads! Link please!Also, they're 36 inch range. Remoras and a few other vehicles have 'em.
They're in the Epic Tau rules (where I found them) but I think they might be in the IA3. Ask Wargamer. Epic Tau And if you scroll down, the twin-linked turrets, on Forge World.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 01:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
No, I don't know alpha Hammerheads! Link please!

Also, they're 36 inch range. Remoras and a few other vehicles have 'em.
See here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/TAU_VEHICLES.html

Edit: response to the new post directly above - the 40k version rules are in IAV3.

Quote:
Erm, No. The Devilfish is a transport, and it is equipped appropriately to do its job. When you start adding big guns like those Hammerhead Turrets, well surprise, surprise you're turning it into a Gunship, that we call a Hammerhead. Fluff-wise a Hammerhead sacrifices the transport capacity of the Devilfish chassis to contain its weapon and power systems. Game-wise, it would be way too unbalanced if Devilfishes could take weapon upgrades - as we can have a maximum of 11 Devilfishes in one Force Organsation Chart, not to mention 3 Hammerheads. We wouldn't need War'Fish anymore if we could start placing Fusion/Plasma templates around the place.

And also, it's probably not a good idea to try and 'equate' units in armies, not every army is a carbon copy of other armies, just with different shapes and names. If you were to correspond a Devilfish to a Rhino though, then the Predator tank (based off the Rhino chassis) would correspond to a Hammerhead. That's why Hammerheads get the variant turrets....
Old 12 Nov 2007, 03:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

11 Devilfishes? I keep capping out on 9:
6 in Troops
3 in Fast Attack
And MAYBE one in HQ. I can't remember if Ethereals can take Devilfish.

And to comment about a devilfish gaining heavier weaponry, about all you could fluffily expect is to gain Battlesuit weaponry and/or drones. And even then, it's a bit contested about validity.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 03:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
11 Devilfishes? I keep capping out on 9:
6 in Troops
3 in Fast Attack
And MAYBE one in HQ. I can't remember if Ethereals can take Devilfish.

And to comment about a devilfish gaining heavier weaponry, about all you could fluffily expect is to gain Battlesuit weaponry and/or drones. And even then, it's a bit contested about validity.
Ooops, 10. 1 from HQ - due to an Ethereal with 11 Honour Guard Fire Warriors mounted in a Devilfish.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 07:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
It has a longer range. Though if you look at a lot of the IA books, they say that the range of a LB Burst cannon is 36", that's actually too long according to the VDR. (It should only be 27", 150% of the original range.)
I think I remember the wording of the Long-barrelled caption, and it read something like "if the range of the weapon is under 24", it is doubled instead".

So, weapons like BCs and Meltas get their range doubled, Bolters only 50% bonus.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote