Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project Tau- Military sub article (need some help)
Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Project Tau- Military sub article (need some help)

So, I was reviewing the last Article for the Project and it struck me that some force organization was left out.

That being said- I'm going to make the next article just wrap up the fire caste. So, that being said- I think I'm going to have the first part be force organization and the rest be a time line of historical events important to the Shas, and then maybe some player made fluff.

So, do you have any fluff you would like to contribute to the Project? It can't be too far-fetched, i think you understand my stance, but if you have anything- post it here!

~good hunting
Old 10 Nov 2007, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Project Tau- Military sub article (need some help)

I think I can come up with something...

The Second Battle of Tel'Oshi:
The Second Battle of Tel'Oshi is widely considered to be the most embittered example of a Tyranid campaign the Tau have ever faced. Assaulted by a fleet of unprecidented size, it was believed by many that the end of the Tau Empire itself had come. Although the Por'hui have manipulated the information somewhat since the campaign's occurence, many older Commanders, and Cadres raised from Tel'Oshi, remain informed on just how close their race came to extinction.

Upon learning of the Tyranid approach, Shas'O Tel'Oshi Li'Sun'yi, who had considerable experience at battling the Tyranids, was given supreme command of all theatre operations. Her first act was to spread the numerous Cadres under her command across half a dozen worlds. This meant that, although no one world was as fortified as desired, there would be forces to guard whatever planet was struck.

It would transpire that, such was the fercoity of the Tyranids, that every planet in the cluster was assaulted. Stretched thin, and facing an unending tide, the Shas'Ar'Tol issued one instruction; hold at all costs. They knew this campaign could not be won by ground forces, and that the Cadres had to stall until the Kor Battlefleets could win the day.

Tel'Oshi itself was the scene of the heaviest fighting. The Kor sought to engage the Tyranids far from the planet, but the mighty bioships were without number, and crushed the Tau vessels with ease. The T'au Defence Fleet itself, charged with defending the race's homeworld, had been ordered to join the conflict. However, that fleet was still in transit, and the Shas below would have to hold alone.

As in the first invasion of Tel'Oshi, the Tyranid ships landed in the vast agricultural plains on the equator. Quickly devouring the biomass, the Tyranids launched themselves into the readied defences of the Shas. Within scant minutes, the sturdy barricades were piled with slain gaunts, whilst Broadsides and Hammerheads tore apart the larger Warriors and Carnifex. Though at first the battle seemed to fare well, the second Tyranid attack began with sudden fury. Bioships tore towards the poles of the planet, facing the wrath of the axis-orbitals. Mycetic Spores thundered down upon the city, and transforming it into a nightmare landscape of death.

In command of the city was Shas'El Tel'Oshi Kauyon. Realising there was no help coming, El'Kauyon acted with courage and valour, making difficult but necessary decisions. He ordered the Inner City sealed off, leaving tens of thousands of Fio and Por to die. However, with the gates sealed, the Tyranids could only attack from above, and the Shas within the walls quickly dispatched the falling Spores. By the time the larger bio-engines appeared, the Tau army had set up ad-hoc weapon platforms, and tore them apart in a storm of Railgun fire. For six days, the capital held against all attack, until Trygon Tunnellers broke through and allowed the tide access. What followed was some of the bloodiest cityfighting imaginable, with Firewarriors resorting to hand to hand combat as their ammunition ran out. Every inch of ground given was paid for by hundreds of Tyranid lives, but there were always more to replace them. Shas'El Kauyon was the last to die. His weapons exhausted, he overloaded his suit's power systems and hurled himself towards a Tyrant synapse-beast, killing it and himself in a cataclysmic detonation.

Whilst the war for the capital waged on, the equatorial onslaught showed no signs of relenting. The Tyranid attack was supported by an unending stream of Mycetic Spores, forcing the Tau into running battles. Anything and everything that could be brought to bear was summoned up, and the Shas found themselves supported by retro-fitted cargo walkers, or farming vehicles converted into gunships. In the town of Tol'kuro, every able-bodied Tau of all Castes was given a Pulse Rifle, and ordered to hold the line. Although 80% of the population died in this heroic endevour, their sacrifice allowed Li'Sun'yi's tanks and battlesuits time to repair and re-arm, and by dawn an armoured spearhead was forcing its way through the Tyranid lines once more.

The campaign for the planet lasted thirteen days. By dawn on the fourteenth day, there was nothing left on the plains but corpses; the Kor above had destroyed the Hive Ships, and broken the morale of the Tyranid army. It would take over a month to hunt down and purge the last of the Tyranids, but on that day the Shas declared their victory.

The Battle of Tel'Oshi is rarely looked at as a single entity. Rather, each segment is reviewed for its own merits; the use of terrain, the application of firepower, the maintaining of discipline and command-chains under extreme circumstances, and countless other examples of military acumen can be found upon reviewing this bloody conflict. Perhaps the most sombre lesson, however, is that the needs of the many must always outweigh the needs of the few. As Li'Sun'yi said during the aftermath, "No Commander sacrifices lives needlessly. However, we must always remember our duty is to protect our people; the race as a whole, not the individual. Sometimes, we must lose a soldier, sometimes a hundred, or sometimes we must turn away and leave the helpless to their fate. It is terrible for the innocent to die, but a crime against our people to waste our lives on those we cannot save."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2007, 15:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

good stuff Wargamer- I'm going to play with it a little and send you back a revision (it will probably be a little shorter)
plus some questions
Which Sept is Tel'Oshi near? Any background on the world itself?
Which age did this occur in?

Now- to everyone else, this is the kind of stuff im looking for- but also commander fluff, or anything you want to be in the official completion of the project. Keep in mind that, once revised, this project will be observed by members of GW- like they did with our work during Medusa. So- this is the perfect chance for you budding fluff writers to be heard...

~good hunting

PS: If anyone still has any fluff on The Hammer- could you message me?
Old 11 Nov 2007, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Tel'Oshi is in the "Souteast" of the Tau Empire, colonised sometime during the early Second Phase Expansion. The closest Sept is D'Yanoi, just about.

The battle itself occurs approximately 20 years before Medusa V.

The planet itself is a major Shas Academy. Tel'Oshi has a very high number of Fire Warriors, and focusses on training them. It is at the centre of the "Tel'Oshi Cluster"; a collection of worlds that form the border of the Tau Empire. Various automated dive boats form a detection grid, designed to alert Tel'Oshi of encroaching attack. The beacons can "detect" Tyranid advances, due to the disruption their Warp Shadow causes. In short, the Tau know of Tyranid attacks because the beacons fail to report on time. They also have scanners to allow conventional detection of enemies.

The planet was purged by the Imperial Navy, who subjected the world to Exterminatus during the Third Battle of Tel'Oshi. The world has been recolonised, but it is now little more than arid desert. Prior to the Exterminatus, the planet was much like T'au; rolling savannahs, broken up by sparse forests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2007, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Some of my fluff involves the remnants of Commander Brightsword's cadre after he was killed on Es'tau.

Think it'd be okay to include it, or is it violating a copyright? :

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2007, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

that would be perfect- don't take too many leaps in judgment though.

Wargamer: out of curiosity, how- or why- would the Imperial Navy jump all the way south of the Empire?
Old 11 Nov 2007, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Me so far my fluff, involves the Taking of Ksi'm'yen (3rd Expension World) and some Gue'vesa.

Any good for this?

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2007, 22:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

just about anything that takes place during the 3rd sphere will work.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 23:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Most of my fluff occurs after the Second Sphere, but a good while before the Third. Interested?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I'll PM you some stuff when I get a chance, sometime tonight probably. I hope it will be useful.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote