Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Curious to see what you guys thought about my 2k army list
Old 26 Mar 2005, 04:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Curious to see what you guys thought about my 2k army list

About 6 people are meeting up at a friend's early saturday and I figured i'd have something "special" to show them. ;D

Here's the list:

Hq (1): Shas'el (102)
Hardwired multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Missile Pod

Elite (3): (621)
6 man stealth Squad with leader, hardwired drone controller + 2 gun drones

Troop (2): (410)
12 man fire warrior squad, mounted in devilfish with decoy launchers

heavy (3): (861)

3 man broadside suit squad, all with default setup of railguns and smart missiles
team leader with a target lock and hard-wired drone controller + 2 shield drones
Suit #2 with a drone controller + 2 shield drones
Suit #3 with a target lock

3 man broadside suit squad, all with default setup of railguns and smart missiles
team leader with a target lock and hard-wired drone controller + 2 shield drones

I'm a sucker for symmetrical armies. So what do you guys think? This is the most important part of the thread though, I have a grand total of 6 points left over and I need suggestions! 8)

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
ShadowDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2005, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Curious to see what you guys thought about my 2k army list

ShadowDeth:

Very interesting list. Static element with a mobile "in your face" element. The amount of Stealths are simply impressive, I rarely see this type of action on the board. Though it's risky, it's very fun against specific opponents (who are you facing?). Your Troops are stock, and solid, though I'd expect to see a Shas'ui here in this level of points. The heavies are out-right amazing--that's a lot of railgun action. I suppose you plan on breaking armor and breaking light armor up close. It's a pretty risky list in my opinion, but if it works, it works!

My only real gripe is the HQ. He has three weapons, but cannot use them all. I would choose the fusion and plasma probably though, since you have the anti-armor and long range covered superbly with 9 railguns. As a close-range low ap fireball, he'll support those stealth teams well or deepstrike to take down a mean tank in the bushes.

Good luck to you tommorrow--take some pen & paper and try and capture the game for us, with a neat little Battle Report, eh?

By the way, the 6 points you have left over can be used in conjunction with your HQ and a weapon system removed, to have a twin-linked weapon system and the multi-tracker and the 2nd weapon (such as twinlinked fusion with plasma rifle, hw multi-tracker) and using the points to get shas'ui upgrades in those firewarrior squads.

Example:

Shas'el; Plasma Rifle; Fusion Blaster; Multi-tracker (83)
That's 19+6 points free now, making 25. That's enough to afford Shas'ui upgrades in your Firewarriors and 5 points left over to put either A) black sun filter on your Commander (redundent though) or buying a single targeting array on a Fish somewhere (or take a Flamer on your commander for looks!)
Old 26 Mar 2005, 05:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
ShadowDeth:

Very interesting list.* Static element with a mobile "in your face" element.* The amount of Stealths are simply impressive, I rarely see this type of action on the board.* Though it's risky, it's very fun against specific opponents (who are you facing?).* Your Troops are stock, and solid, though I'd expect to see a Shas'ui here and Decoy Launchers in this level of points.* The heavies are out-right amazing--that's a lot of railgun action.* I suppose you plan on breaking armor and breaking light armor up close.* It's a pretty risky list in my opinion, but if it works, it works!

My only real gripe is the HQ.* He has three weapons, but cannot use them all.* I would choose the fusion and plasma probably though, since you have the anti-armor and long range covered superbly with 9 railguns.* As a close-range low ap fireball, he'll support those stealth teams well or deepstrike to take down a mean tank in the bushes.

Good luck to you tommorrow--take some pen & paper and try and capture the game for us, with a neat little Battle Report, eh?

Thanks for the quick response, ill field your comments in order recieved: Who i'm facing - Anyone from blood angels, to Orks, to Cadians, to Eldar, to sisters of battle. I believe those are the other 5 people showing up. It's going to be a 3v3.

1) Oh, yes the army is extremely risky. I'm not the least bit concerned about winning, as I have been only playing warhammer 40k for about a month and a half now. I have studied the rules pretty extensively and have played strategy games for at least 14 years now so i'd like to think I pick up on these type of games quickly. I'm not deluding myself in anyway though, I know certain elements would tear this army apart. I would like to see how the mass of broadside suits work against a varied opponent though. I figure with the 4 shield drones in every squad they can trade heavy weapons with anything and win, seeing as how they have 4 meat shields to plow through before I start having my suits be auto killed.
About the Sha'sui and decoy launchers, I have the launchers but I don't feel the need to enhance the fire warriors any more than they are. I'm not too worried about them being broken up and running, they are there to unload their 48 shots in the FOF formation then die.* I know it's heartless, but even Tau know casualities are unavoidable. With the 9 rail guns and the ability to sustain enemy heavy weapons for at least a few turns without having them die off, I feel I have the ability to bust any tank that exposes itself and the quickly refocus all my efforts into heavier troop squads - terminators, warp spiders, necrons (death company GRRRR) - whatever I run into. Even pumping 9 rail gun rounds into a 10 man squad of marines, I wouldn't feel bad. At least i'm certain the hits will kill those damn things.

2) Yeah, I know he has a redundant weapon system but with his ballistic skill I feel that versatility combined with the fact I only have 20 "unnecessary" points floating around qualifies as a good time to over arm the guy. I dont think the extra points would benefit any one single part of my army so I dont think making him versatile is such a bad idea. And I can even throw him away depending on the army like you said, like artillery would probably give me a head-ache. I don't think it's too bad to gamble 100 odd points on the chance to pop a Basilisk or whatever I see.

I do appreciate the comments though, and ill do my best to write up turn by turn what happened with my army for the board if you guys want to read it.

Edit - I do like the Anti-Armor HQ plan you drew up though, that's really how i've been using him with the missile pod thrown in there on the Shas'o just to give him a shot or two randomly until he's doing his fusion blaster/rifle thing.

I think the stealth suits would be superb at keeping him alive through the IC rules though, so ill probably end up taking your suggestion and getting the 25 points free. Also, have you ever had any success auto killing chaplains with the fusion blaster? It just hit me the other day that since most marine players i've seen run their chaplains in the front of their respective squads to get them into close combat quicker, couldn't you "eye" 12 inches and only have your fusion blaster in range to hit the chaplain, and if he fails the save (invulnerable) he goes poof?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 05:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
About 6 people are meeting up at a friend's early saturday and I figured i'd have something "special" to show them. ;D

Here's the list:

Hq (1): Shas'el (102)
Hardwired multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Missile Pod

Elite (3): (621)

Troop (2): (410)

heavy (3): (861)

I'm a sucker for symmetrical armies. So what do you guys think? This is the most important part of the thread though, I have a grand total of 6 points left over and I need suggestions! 8)

No way. You're totoally lacking in troops. Just a dumb idea. Suits are good but not good enough to load up that many, really no reason to take more than a few. Troops, troops, troops, they're your vital organs while Suits are the free space surrounding them.
I'm tired of being poor, and even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull a trigger, kill a nigger, he's a hero
Givin back to the kids, who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
first ship them dope, let them deal to brothers
give them guns, step back and watch them kill each other
It's time to fight back, that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark, now Huey's dead I got love for my brothers but we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other we gotta start makin changes learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers and that's how it's supposed be how can you tell them take a brother if he's close to me I'd love to go back to when we played as kids but things change, and that's the way it is come on, come on that's just the way it is things will never be the same that's just the way it is, ahh yeah X2 I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate, makes disgrace the racist we under, I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted take the evil out the people, they'll be actin right cuz both black and white are smokin crack tonight and the only time we chill is when we kill each other it's takes skill to be real, time to heal each other and I know it's seems Heaven since we aint ready, to see a black president it aint a secret of a sealed up fact penetentiarys packed, and it's filled with blacks but some things will never change tried to show another way, but ya stayin in the dope game now tell me what's a mother to do? being real don't appeal to the brother in you - yeah - You gotta operate the easy way - I made a G today - but you made it in a sleezy way sellin crack to the kids - I gotta get paid - well hey, well that's the way it is chorus talking ... we gotta make a change it's time for us as a peopl
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2005, 12:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

i think it's a very risky list...fun to play but wouldn't win lots of games just because of your really really low model count
Personally, I would take a LOT more fw, at least another squad, maybe two more. And they definitely need the Shas'ui team leader upgrade for that extra point of leadership.

I see two main weaknesses w/this list:
one problem will be that tho lots of your shots are powerful, there won't be a lot of them. Since you don't have any hammerheads to clean out hordes of riffraff, I predict that you will fare pretty poorly against horde armies. (altho 18 stealthsuits CAN fire a lot of shots...)

also, apart from you 2 fire warrior squads, every model in your army is 30 points or more. That's REALLY gonna hurt you victory-point wise. Due to the stealthsuits close range and the lack of medium-range fire support (that's what fire warriors are for), against horde or fast combat armies the suits may get overwhelmed. And @ 30 points a model that REALLY hurts (mods--does this count as posting individual points values? If it does, feel free to modify my post...not that you really need my permission anyway... )
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
stealth_cat_xv88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2005, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ahh! The truth be told. I totally understand you and your list now

Team game list

In that case, it's fine. I see you're pulling up the anchor support for your other mates on your side of the board. In that case, you should be fine. I would hug those firewarriors near those Broadsides virtually all of the game--that's a heavy investment that is "silenced" by an infiltrating combat crew. They can abosrb strong heavy weapon hits, but they can't do much when close combat happens and in that case, not shooting means you're losing. So defnately protect your babies back there and dont' send those firewarriors off to die so fast. Keep them near by and protect those railguns, your oppoenents will appreciate the lack of armor on the board after a turn of you're firing around. In fact, I'd keep all your firewarriors and XV15's together--they'll support each other and combined can output enough volume to tear down marines.

Insta-killing a chaplain works, but it doesn't happen very often. Chappies generally either cannot be hit due to IC rules, or have joined another squad (assault marines) and cannot be hit anyways. So don't bank on it. I would use your commander soley to deepstrike with fusion/missile pods into the rear of armor during mid game--it's a great way to get rid of a pesky basilisk or whirlwind that you couldn't see.

So, shooting a Chaplain in the face with a single fusion gun which he can save against is not a good idea, however, 18 stealthsuits unloading on a chappy and his squad backed up by FoF firewarriors will give him a run for his money. 102 strength 5 shots? Half hit on average, so 51 hits? something like 35~40 wounds? That's a lot of dead marines, espeically assault marines with chaplains (small squads of 10~11 max).

Good luck today Sir!
Can't wait to hear how you faired if you read this in time!

Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

in a normal game I wouldnt give a dollar for this lists chnces, but for teams, you've got a winner, hope to be on the guard team if I were you
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

oooh...that and guard hordes working together... ;D...yeah your list should do awesome in a team game, so long as your ally has more troops.
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
stealth_cat_xv88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 15:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I love your army! ;D It will work great in team battle!
Im with Mal here, use FW as a meatwall to protect your broadsides.

I LOVE IT (even if you play it in 1vs1 becouse it will be really fun to play but it wont be so fun to be assaulted...)!
Ryss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2005, 02:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well i'm glad to see some of you enjoyed my stupid army. Ill give the battle report from saturday when I wake up in the morning, I can't think straight now.

I will say that the game turned out to be lamer than expected, as the guard and ork guy didn't show.... so it ended up being My tau force with another Tau force (ughhh ) versus Eldar and Blood Angels.

I would have killed to be paired up with the guard though! More details when I have the time!