Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammer Head Doors
Old 08 Nov 2007, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot
Default Hammer Head Doors

Does any one see any practical or tactical use of the side doors on the Hammerhead, I could see it if they were able to carry a Fire Warrior Team (say five) as in the SM Razor Back, I under stand thats it's built on the same chassis as the Devilfish hence the production cost being lower to field them, and being able to produce more of them, then developing a different assembling method (different chassis). Being a former tread head it just seems odd to have them their, in a tactical sense they would be the next weakest spot compared to the rear ramp door and at armor values of 13F 12S 10R, common sense would indicate that the side armour rating would be an 11 at most because of the side door placement. The only real world tank that I can think of that has any troop carrying capacity is the one the Israel IDF employ as in the Merkava Mk. 4 it's troop compartment opens from the rear just as the Hammer Head does, (I think). So over all in the long run would it be safer to model the Hammerhead with out the side doors to establish the higher increase in armour value ?
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hammer Head Doors

To be honest when it comes down to the modeling side of this hobby, whether or not there are doors on the side armor of the Hammerhead really wont make any difference. If it bugs you then you can convert the chassis to not have the doors, maybe incorporate a form of armor to go over the area, or instead fill the gap and smooth it over.

In real life it makes sense to have a weaker spot where the hatches are, but this is a fictional world with fictional technology and it is feasible that the door is just as strong as the rest of the hull.

But a good point

Rich

"Yes indeed Giles"
Trick3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I actually think that the Hammerhead hull, rather than mounting heavier armour than the 'fish, mounts better armour, or uses a low grade shield projector to reinforce its hull, thus granting the higher armour despite the identical structure.

But that's just my take on it.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Maybe behind the side doors is more armor?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 21:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Side doors allow the Fio to access the internal mechanisms more easily. The entirety of the Troop Bay has been replaced with a bigger generator and capacitors for the railgun. It's probably quite complicated and can't only be maintained from a single rear compartment.

We know it's a lot easier to make Hammerheads and Fish out of the same chassis off the manufacturing line (modern warfare's moving more towards modular designs than anything else, really). A couple internal up-armor modifications in addition to the bigger power supply would account for the 10 ton increase in weight over the Devilfish, no?

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think doombringer is correct. The side doors are probably used as maintenance hatches or maybe even to load and unload ammunition or something of the sort. If you think about it, it's probably how the pilots or crew enter the hammer head. The rail gun and the machinery that keeps it operating most likely sit right in the middle of the craft, which would be used for passenger seating in a fish. That would probably make access to the cockpit from the main door (the back door) either very difficult or impossible.

If ever anyone were to make a mechanical guide to the vehicles/weapons of warhammer, similar to the ones people have printed about star wars and star trek, then they would probably make a small fortune. :
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 00:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

They should just make a big picture filled encyclopedia of ALL 40k fluff. Maybe not schematics but definitely with cross-sections and dioramas.

I'd buy it, even if it were crazy expensive and from Forge World.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Yeah, I'd buy one too, if it were about vehicles. Who knows, Black Library might put something out one day. I'd find it more interesting than the Xenos book.

I'd think that better internal reinforcement or even a small shield generator would make sense in justifying the slight armour stat-line increase. They could after all, use different, perhaps heavier materials for the armour on the gunships than on transports, yet keep the same design. Same goes for Battlesuits, with the increase in armour for the Broadsides.
Old 09 Nov 2007, 02:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

A few of the IAs have them. I know IA3 does (Having cross-cuts of the Orca and a few imperial tanks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor

Would be much better to place a burst cannon on the centre pivot of the side doors instead, IMO 8)

ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote