Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron vs Tau scenario
Closed Thread
Old 25 Mar 2005, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Necron vs Tau scenario

My friend and i is going to play the Tau vs Ork scenario (Ork = Necrons). Its my first battle against him becuse he just got his Necron army. So ive read the tactics that Tauonline recomends and want to know if there is somthing else i should think about and if anyone wants to share some good tactics against him.

This is what i got:

4 crisis (one of them is my commander)
6 stealth
36 Firewarriors
12 Kroot
15 Drones
1 Hammerhead
1 Broadside

I know that i need two fishes but i dont got any money right now. :'(

This is what my friend got ( i think):

1 Necron lord
1 Necron lord w/ Destroyer body
squad of Immortals (dont know how many)
40 Warriors
around 10 scarab swarms
8 destroyers
2 heavy destroyers
1 monolith

I think that was al of it.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Necron vs Tau scenario

there have been many topics about tactics versus necrons very recently actually, just scoot back a couple of pages and read them first (easily identifyable by topic names), and then come back and post again if you still want advice/have further queries.

From looking at your armies he will not be able to use all of his stuff if you use all of yours, porbably not even half! If you could also give us a list you were palnnign to use and we could help you gear that toward killing necrons too!

get reading then posting ;D

Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Far too many Topics about this back in the boards to have another long one, just make sure to read the Bible, and particularly This
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, ill read the other topics and im going to use all of it in at least one of the battles.

BTW he bought all that in 2 weeks! Oh he got 2 tomb spyders too and he says its around 2000 pts and my stuff can come up to 1500 pts.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:09   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, ive read the topics, the bible and the tactics on the page now but i still want some advise on how i should use my army.
It would be really nice of you too give me some advise (feels like i will need it :-\).
Old 26 Mar 2005, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ryss:

Quick avice on his list, on the low down:

HQ - Necron lord - Ignore him, unless he's the last body on the ground. You "should" never be able to shoot him anyways and if he joins a small unit (ie, 6 models or less) then target that unit with extreme prejudice to hopefully take him down.

HQ - Necron lord w/ Destroyer body - Worry about this boy. He'll rip you to ribbons in close combat, and will probably have a phase shifter (4+ invulnerable save) and cannot be insta-killed. Plasma likes him, so let them play together and do it quickly (he moves as a skimmer, faster than your suits).

HQ - squad of Immortals (dont know how many) - This squad will probably boomagrang around the board with his Necron Lord, via the Viel of Darkness, suddenly teleporting right next to your vehicles or suits and eating them alive. Immortals are to be taken as a priority target. Knock them all down, and they won't get back up due to not having any "like" models near by (the res orb doesn't do that, so watch him trying to cheat you). These models are very expensive, so you will see between 6~8 of them I imagine, and you can kill them--but their guns are murderously good. Priority target.

Troop - 40 Warriors - This is a good thing. Medium count on the warriors means you can phase him easier. He wasted his points on fancy things like the monolith instead of investing towards his Necron body count. As it is, you have to reduce his Necrons to the magic number of all his necron units (dunno how many he has exactly because of the immortal count, but I'll assume 6~8 of them). In your case, you have probably 52 Necrons in total, which means you need to kill 75% of that, which is about 13 models. The Warriors make the biggest bulk of that number. These boys will never disappear in total, unless you phase him, try and focus all your fire to destroy each squad one by one (if he takes small squads of 10 necrons per squad, you'll be able to do this easily). So long as you knock a squad down and there isn't another squad within 6 inches, they'll never get back up. So always fire at the squad that is "futher away" than the others and focus on them.

Fast Attack - around 10 scarab swarms - These things are annoying. They're fast and small and can tear you up in close combat or tear up your vehicles! They're vulnerable to blast templates, so a single submunition round will probably eliminate all of them, but they are a priority threat. However, they do not count towards his phase out.

Fast Attack - 8 destroyers - Here is your biggest problem. This is like having 8 mobile heavy bolters that do not die facing you. They move fast, they eat your firewarriors and everything else with ease. High priority target. Knock all 8 down to ensure they do not get back up, and do it in the same turn or you'll pay for it. They move too fast to catch with suits, so hopefully you can dodge terrain and pour plasma into their ranks. Gun these Destroyers fast as possible.

Heavy - 2 heavy destroyers - These aren't that big of a threat. They can break your tanks, but all Necron units can, so no big deal. They can insta-kill a battlesuit though, so that's not good. Overall, an easy target because if you knock them both down, they never come back and it's easy to drop two bodies. Two plasma hits and they'll never return and they're expensive, so good unit to smash in terms of victory points. Not a big priority but still worth taking out.

Heavy - 1 monolith - This thing is mean if it deepstrikes. Otherwise, it's easy to destroy with your railguns. Remember that you penetrate with an Ap1 railgun always, so you will only need a 4+ to glance/penetrate this thing and destroy it. If it's far away, it's not a threat. However, if it's close, as in 24 inches, then it is a threat. Be sure to blow it up quickly because once you lose your railguns you will never be able to destroy it and it will repair a lot of his units or sling shot them into your face much faster than you expected each turn. Bust it first if you can with those railguns and you'll pay for all your heavy support in a single shot.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

"gulp" :-\ Those guys dosent seem to be so nice.

Should i get ion-head or rail-head for my HH? And i think fireknife (plasma+missile for those who dont know what that is) for the crisis right?
Annything extra special for me to think about? Should i go for face out (i need to kill 39 models if i didnt count wrong)?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

if you only need to kill 39 models your lucky ^-^

go for an Ion head if he sint taking a monolith and go for TLPR crisis, the no AS is worth it.

just concentrate on the warriors, destroy one whole squad and they dont get their WBB roll, then move on to the next squad.
go here
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Whats AS?
i think he will take a monolith so a railgun then?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 20:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

if he's taking a 'Lith you need the Rail, no modifiers for Fusion and so on means you need the S10 to take it down, maybe sticking a BS somewhere in there would be a good idea?

Armour Save

go here
Closed Thread