Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I need some advice...
Closed Thread
Old 25 Mar 2005, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default I need some advice...

How should I use my army (the tau one) to beat my friends army(the space marine one)? Here are the army list

MINE:

HQ:

1 tau ethereal- 50pt.

ELITE:

1 group of 3 fireknife battlesuit-195pt.

1 group of 3 fireknife battlesuit- 195pt.

1 group of 6 stealth battlesuit-180pt.

TROOPS:

2 groups of 12 normal firewarrior- 260pt.

All groups have a shas'ui commander

2 groups with a devilfish-170pt.
-both have DL

2 group of 20 kroot carnivore- 140pt.

HEAVY SUPPORT

1 hammer head gunship-170pt.
-railgun
-burst cannon
-multi tracker
-disruption pod
-target lock

1 hammerhead gunship- 180pt.
-railgun
-smart missile system
-multi tracker
-disruption pod
-target lock

1 hammerhead gunship- 180pt.
-railgun
-smart missile system
-multi tracker
-disruption pod
-target lock

TOTAL= 1850pt.

MY FRIENDS:

Delta Guard List-1785

Master Commander-130
Iron Halo
Plasma Pistol
Power Weapon

Elites-410

Dreadnought-170
Lascannon
Missile Launcher
Venerable
Tank Hunter
Extra Armor

Dreadnought-140
Lascannon
Missile Launcher
Extra Armor

Techmarine-100
Servo-harness

Troops-740

Tact. Squad-105
6 SM
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Tact. Squad-105
6 SM
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Tact. Squad-105
6 SM
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Tact. Squad-105
6 SM
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun

Tact. Squad-160
6SM
Missile Launcher
Plasma Gun
Rhino

Tact. Squad-160
6 SM
Missile Launcher
Plasma Gun
Rhino

Heavy Support-505

Land Raider-250

Predator Annihilator-145
Sponson Lascannons

Predator Destructor-110
Sponson Heavy Bolters

Please give me some tips on beating this army without altering my army list.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 25 Mar 2005, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: I need some advice...

Well first off, don't put "fireknife", put the weapons. Fireknife is not something most players will know without either memorising the GW page, or go hunting through the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Mar 2005, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1. remove the XV15 unit
2. make 3*2 XV8 fireknife units!
3. take away the devilfishes.
4. remove one HH with SMS!
5. remove a 20 man squad kroots, as he fields an fire army!

Removing those elements will give you 670pts!

1. get 2*12 FW will shas'ui (260pts)
2. get 3 XV88, multi trackers ( 225pts)
3. get 2*8 gun drones (192pts)
4. get an additional 3 XV8 fireknifes(195pts) for a total of 9 XV8
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Well first off, don't put "fireknife", put the weapons. Fireknife is not something most players will know without either memorising the GW page, or go hunting through the forums.
Eh? if theyre here they know what fireknife is or have been educated by the primers everyone should read before posting :-\.

I'll have to disagree with almost everything apocalyptic has said, fireknife isnt the be all and end all, and 2 man units are very dumb ^-^, the list is fine as it is.

a few things I'd like to know before I make tactical comments, where is that etheral going? (I'd vote for in the kroot) and does he have any deployment quirks? habits? adn what does he place most emphasis on in your list?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 26 Mar 2005, 02:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

two things-

1. Thanks for the tips apocalyptic, but I'm not altering the list for one army, I just want some tips on how to beat army A with army B.

2. The ethereal is just there to fill up the HQ slot and let my troops reroll moral test, so he would probably just hide in a corner somewhere on the map. My oppenent uses his list as a sit and shoot army, so I need to figure out what to take out with my hammerheads and how to advance up the map or to objectives and get close enough to his troops, as he tends to use the heavy bolters and missile launchers/lascannons at max range.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Killa:

Well, from his list, he has a bunch of medium and light armor at 11, 12 and 13 and a single 14 armored beast. That means your entire army can be in cover and out of sight and your suits can hop out and pour 12 missile pods into two tanks starting first turn. I assume he sets up with all his armor facing his target assuming no one will want to be in his line of sight (offense as a defense). Use this to your advantage. As in, hide your entire army, even your hammerheads. Jump out and pound his big tanks with your missile pods, out of 12 shots you should be able to at least destroy the main weapon making it pretty worthless. Then hide again. He'll not be able to move very fast and all of his tac squads will be wasted standing with no targets. The two dreadnoughts will advance and do nothing. His landraider will probably speed forward. Let it. Do the same thing again next turn, and punish his other tank. Or bust his dreadnought (the closest one). This whole time, it would be good if you can infiltrate your kroot and simply assault something or riddle his marines up a bit--20 kroot can do some hurt on 6 little marines at a time, but I'd take both squads and swarm a single marine squad--better chances of survival and you'll definately win that fight. He'll have to worry seeing 40 Kroot in his ranks. If you've torn down his lascannons, then bring your hammerheads out (turn 2 hopefully, but turn 3 at the latest) and take down his landraider, and reserve your 3rd railgun for a dreadnought (the non-venerable one). That will hault him good and pin any contents of his iron beast. I will assume his marines will all have sat still this whole time hoping to play castle with you. Just pick and scratch at him with crisis and beat down his armor until nothing but tac squads are left. 6 man teams are easily burned down. That's when you bring out the Firewarriors and just focus fire the little man teams bit by bit. Or play safe and just break as many units below 50% that you can and win by victory points, by just hitting his front lines with suits and tanks and keeping kroot preasure in the rear. Use the firewarriors for close squads if you must and reserve the xv15's for the same purpose as the firewarriors, as in, use them together as teams. Basically, you should be able to play a fairly safe game against him because he's static and has half his points sunk in armor (which you can eliminate with ease). Just remember to only use your railgun when you know you can penetrate (ie, don't use it on a tank that is in cover, use missile pods there even if you have to glance on 6's... 12 shots will give you one and it's all you need to stop it from firing long enough to beat down his other vehicles).
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos

The ethereal as a point save doesn't always work. He might be good at keeping troops on the table but just don't use him against fast armies or armies with indirect because your 50 point HQ could cause half the army to run of the table :'(.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 10:02   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Eh? if theyre here they know what fireknife is or have been educated by the primers everyone should read before posting :-\.
I play as Marines a lot more than I play as Tau. Surely he'd like to know what people think of his army from the Marine perspective... yet all I see is gibberish. "Fireknife" means as much to me as DTHFSFH means to Tau...

Not everyone who posts on Tau boards is a Tau nut. Learn well.

Edit: To further my point, I can find no example of a "Fireknife" on the boards. Whatever thread they were posted in, it's not here anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Mar 2005, 11:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

what does DTHFSFH stand for?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.

Old 26 Mar 2005, 12:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

i dunno.

alright then, i play against marines a lot, and here's my advice to you on winning w/o changing your army list around:

use your crisis suits! They'll destory his tac squads pretty easily, and that 6" free move can keep 'em out of harms way.

for the hammerheads, use them to knock out all his vehics (he's got a lot of them) and when you're done with that start pie-plating tac squads

for the fish-mounted fire warriors, DFOF any wounded squads that are getting too close to the rest of your army.

I'd use the 2 kroot squads and two static FWs in conjunction, since both are rather slow. Have both fire warrior squads soften up a marine unit, then charge it w/40 kroot! slash one tac squad, if you're lucky you can consolidate into another one

I'd use the stealthsuits either to annoy the enemy on one flank or as bait to treat your opponent to a FW/kroot attack.

and hide the ethereal in a corner.

hope those help

i noticed that you have 75 pts more than your friend...why?
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Closed Thread