Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal and Kroot?
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ethereal and Kroot?

Is their any rule preventing an Ethereal being put in a Kroot squad? The reason I ask is since the Ethereal is good at close combat maybe I would put him with my kroot who are also good in close combat.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Ethereal and Kroot?

Shocked to say this but... I don't think they'rethere* is. He's an independent character, so can join friendly units, and Kroot are friendly.

That said... Kroot aren't "good" at close combat, they are "competent" at close combat. Even with the Ethereal they won't be taking on any dedicated CC troops. And the thought of deliberately sending your Ethereal into the front lines, even with a load of Kroot meatshields, is quite unfluffy.

*I CANNOT believe I did that. I must be getting tired...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well there is no rule preventing the Ethereal (and drones) to join up with a kroot squad...unless he has an Honour Guard...and the presence of so many kroots will extend his lifespan a bit.

Keep in mind though that Kroots are still pretty easy to kill though...especially in Close combat, so I would not recommand it.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

First of all YES, your Ethereal (being an IC) can join Kroot.

The Kroot, though, do NOT become fearless.

Furthermore, "Ethereal" and "good at close combat" don`t belong anywhere together unless there`s an "are not" in between.

Have you ever seen a dedicated CC unit? 4+ or better save, Initiative of 5+, WS of 5+, and so on.

Ethereals are all BUT a CC unit. In fact, I consider them to be so useless it hurts. Besides, sending them into CC means that they could die. I would recommend you to read the "price of failure"-rule again

Cheers
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 20:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Isn't the main use for Ethereal is to control Morale checks and to bring in the awesome Veteran FW's? NOT Fighting?
Old 06 Nov 2007, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungard
Isn't the main use for Ethereal is to control Morale checks and to bring in the awesome Veteran FW's? NOT Fighting?
Exactly. Besides, without armor, power weapon and an Initiative of 5+, he`s easily cut down in CC, anyways.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 21:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I think people assume that because the Ethereal is better than a normal Tau in CC and he has the Honour blade that he is *designed* for CC.

Oh dear oh dear.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 01:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lol, at least Majority T and Sv won't be a problem. Honestly a kroot ox will do much better then an ethereal in combat, so just grab them for the even better STR6 hth attacks.
Old 07 Nov 2007, 04:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to KevFox2169 Send a message via AIM to KevFox2169 Send a message via MSN to KevFox2169 Send a message via Yahoo to KevFox2169

But.... FW (with photon grenades) and Ethereal means they strike at the same time. The Ethereal w/ honour blade means +1 attack and +2 to his strength. Not a bad Weapon skill means He won't do THAT badly in close combat, maybe even pull it out of the hole. (especially if you allocate wounds to shield drones)

But I agree, the Ethereals shouldn't be thrown mindlessly into CC. Fluffily, Tau love them too much for that.

On another note. Lets all spill some drink for our deceased homie Aun'Shi. who had a power weapon and indeed DID count as a damn good CC unit.
Old 07 Nov 2007, 07:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFox2169
On another note. Lets all spill some drink for our deceased homie Aun'Shi. who had a power weapon and indeed DID count as a damn good CC unit.
Actually he had rending, and a inv. save, but alas I miss him too :'(.