Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has any one purchased the Orca
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot
Default Has any one purchased the Orca

Just a quick question in regards to it.

1) Are the XV8 suits that are included in the Orca kit GW XV8 or are they FW resin casts ?

2) Same goes with the Drones GW or FW

Trying to determine what the final price would be for the Orca if sold without these items.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Has any one purchased the Orca

I don't have one, but I remember the pictures of the unpainted Orca...

1) From the pictures, they look as though they are standard plastic XV8s with resin legs - so that they can be posed in the squatting position when in the Orca. FW use plastic kits and only cast in resin their own variant XV8 parts, like the different helmets and poseable arms.

2) I would expect the Drones to be GW Plastics, and the FW to be resin models, as they are in the sitting position.
If you look at the interior of the manta, you can see that the FW are basically stuck in a few poses: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/40kmanta1.htm
Old 06 Nov 2007, 23:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Thanks .mace, Kind of what I thought also but wanted to make sure, two sets of eyes are better then one, I'm thinking of purchasing 1 or 2 of them this next year, will model it closed up any for gaming purpose's, and using the suits to futher my crisis suit teams numbers, also like the idea of not having to chop up the XV8 legs to get a better action look for my suits.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 15:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Do you have to use resin legs?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 15:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
Do you have to use resin legs?
No, of course not. All FW-sits come with a compelte Plastic set.

I just don`t seen why you WOULDN`T use the Resin legs, since they are fully posable (and only with them can you actually mount Crisis in the Orca).

Actually this is an awfully clever business move of FW - there`s no other way to get standard poseable Crisis legs apart from the Orca and the Mante... :P
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

FW are the only posable ones? I don't get it, I thought you had to glue them when you chose how you wanted it to look.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 16:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

"Posable" means not "moving". Posable means that you can choose at which angle the knees bend during construction, then glue it.

The normal Crisis legs are only one-piece plastic. If you want to bend them, you have to cut them first (which is kinda iffy).

My Shas`O R`Myr from FW has perfect posable legs and arms; I`d really wish FW would sell them separate as a kinda "upgrade kit" to maybe the new Rapid Insertion force...

Cheers,
-Bone

Disclaimer: I don`t own an Orca or a Manta, so I can`t tell for sure if the Crisis Legs are posable or if they are already molded in this bend. I`m just opitimistic here, okay?
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

no, i don't own one i in all honesty i don't see the point in getting one, (other than the cool model)

and are the FW legs really like that? i thought they were just cast in that possition!!!! awsome
Old 07 Nov 2007, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the mantas crisis legs are posable. im not sure about the orca but it seems logical that they are.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2007, 00:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
no, i don't own one i in all honesty i don't see the point in getting one, (other than the cool model)

and are the FW legs really like that? i thought they were just cast in that possition!!!! awsome
Well if you look at their pictures.. they're all posed in different positions. Forgeworld Arms come in 3 pieces, with an elbow, shoulder, and mid-upper-arm joint (the mid-arm one is for rotating the arm). The legs come in two pieces, with an upper leg and lower leg, with a knee joint. You just pose it in the position you want and glue it all together. This is how it is for all the Forgeworld Crisis/Broadside Battlesuits, where they give you the standard XV8 sprue where necessary. I'd expect the Manta and Orca ones to be similar, with poseable legs and the standard plastic sprues.

Although - the manta ones do look like they're moulded into that position.. but the good news is you would still have the original plastic legs from the plastic XV8 sprue.