Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish
Old 05 Nov 2007, 16:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Devilfish

I've just bought another DVfish (the first one was for my pathfinders) for my troops. Can you take the DVfish as a general transport? If so, what slot does it occupy?
Thanks,
Shas'O Bar'naby
Old 05 Nov 2007, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Devilfish

When you take a transport, it needs to be attached to a squad. The squad doesn't need to deploy in it though. (Or, at least that's my understanding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2007, 16:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Exactly. A Devilfish HAS to be a dedicated transport; either for Firewarriors or for Pathfinders (if we want to be nitpicky, the Ethereals Honorguard can have one, too).

The Tau don`t have such a thing as a "general transport" - this term is really reserved for Heavy Support choices like the Land Raider or the Falcon...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 00:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

In the case of the Tau Devilfish - it is a Dedicated Transport (Page 62 of the rulebook) and so can only be used with the squad it is purchased with. How you can tell if a tank is a dedicated transport or not, is to look at it's army list entry. In the Tau Codex, the Devilfish has the prefix "Transport: " in it's army list entry, rather than belonging to any particular Army List Category.

Checking my Space Marine and Daemonhunter Codexes, they have a "Transports" section that lists the available tanks that can be used as transports. One thing to note here is that some armies can take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, if I'm not mistaken.

But back to Tau, Devilfishes are only Dedicated Transports.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
In the case of the Tau Devilfish - it is a Dedicated Transport (Page 62 of the rulebook) and so can only be used with the squad it is purchased with. How you can tell if a tank is a dedicated transport or not, is to look at it's army list entry. In the Tau Codex, the Devilfish has the prefix "Transport: " in it's army list entry, rather than belonging to any particular Army List Category.

Checking my Space Marine and Daemonhunter Codexes, they have a "Transports" section that lists the available tanks that can be used as transports. One thing to note here is that some armies can take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, if I'm not mistaken.

In the life of a firewarrior it would suck terribly if two teams of firewarriors went out in the field within two devilfish. They stop at a curious object that blows up killing the entire crew of one devilfish, but leaving it serviceable. The second devilfish takes 3 casualties but the devilfish is totalled. The survivors try to load onto the flyable Fish but told permission to board with wounded DENIED.
This craft is for dedicated infantry squad 4 only. You must march back or wait for the first available transport.

[size=smaller]Fixed quote, and some spelling - .mace[/size]
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 03:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsik
Quote:

In the life of a firewarrior it would suck terribly if two teams of firewarriors went out in the field within two devilfish. They stop at a curious object that blows up killing the entire crew of one devilfish, but leaving it serviceable. The second devilfish takes 3 casualties but the devilfish is totalled. The survivors try to load onto the flyable Fish but told permission to board with wounded DENIED.
This craft is for dedicated infantry squad 4 only. You must march back or wait for the first available transport.
Fixed your quoting, and corrected some spelling to make your post more readable. But I don't quite understand what you mean in the last line.

It's perhaps best not to correlate game rules with how things work in fluff terms. Surely they would be allowed to combine squads on the available transport in-fluff - but in game, a dedicated transport is a way of keeping the game balanced whilst allowing more vehicles to be take as transports than as pure-tank units. Having Dedicated Transports means that you can't use a single unit to 'Taxi' around the board, instead - if you want more units to be mobile, you will need more transports, or use up a FoC slot for a tank that has transport capabilities, like the Falcon or Land Raider.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 07:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

@Kelsik: Well, there is aother point of view from the fluff perspective.

I once read a short story in an old WD, when they introduced dedcated transports.

Sorry for the bad transcript, I don`t have it at hand (and it`s in German as well...).

"The Marines readied themselves for the assault. The word has been given, and deep withing Buker Complex A-51 they prepared for the coming battle. Bolters were loaded, Chainswords refuelled, Heavy Bolter ammunition picked up.
Sergeant Helbrecht turned around to his men:
`The Ork scum thinks it can conquer this world and plunder its ressources - ressources which belong to the Emperor! With Bolter and Chainsword, let`s turn the tide!`
He slammed his helmet onto his head, and then led his team with a hearty battlecry outside into the toxic atmosphere of the planet.
The square outside the Bunker was completely empty and eerily silent. The Marines hesitated at the exit, before Sergeant Helbrecht cursed:
`Emperor`s Bones! Looks like squad Altmann has taken our Rhino again!`"

And that`s why units have dedicated transports.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsik
Quote:

[size=smaller]Fixed quote, and some spelling - .mace[/size]
Thanks for fixing up my post, When I toss back a few i cant spell worth a grot.
When I read this topic I couldnt stop laughing.

I also liked the other post about the stranded sm.
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote