Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting a Tau Empires Army - Straight out of the box.
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2007, 01:20   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Starting a Tau Empires Army - Straight out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
Great article, should be very helpful for initiates into the Empire. The battleforce is definately the best buy. If you compare the ratio of retail to cost, the Battleforce for Tau trumps even most of the Apocalypse formation, and it can all be easily used in a regular battle.
Definitely. Over here the Battleforce Retails for AU$150, costing about $210 separately. I got mine off Ebay for $100, pretty much half price! The Apocalypse deals are usually just '3 for the price of 2' at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Excellent presentation and great advice for someone wishing to start (although I always stayed clear from the battleforce myself and building mine element by element).
Cheers, I didn't feel the old thread was 'up to scratch', as it was written back near the start of this forum and for the old codex and battleforce. It didn't really cover gaming at all either, so IMO wasn't the best for giving all-round advice to beginners. So here we have it, the Tau Empires version of my starter guide =)

As for buying units one at a time, sometimes that's a better thing, I'm getting a little overwhelmed by the amount of models I have here to build and paint. But for starters, the Battleforce is great value, and when I started off all those years ago, I was eager to get as many units as I could - the Battleforce is great for that and cuts down on decisions that you have to make as a beginner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
Great timing! I'm building my army from the box and was wondering about somethings. Thanks and wonderful job!
No problem, good to see it's useful already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
That being said there is one mistake in the army list. You can't hard wire Black Sun Filters so your commander is illegal. Other than that minor sticking point this is a perfect article. ;D
As above, it's a legal config, as per page 25 of the codex. Although I can't think of what to do with the spare 6 points in the army..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Very nice, have a cookie +1!
Thanks, I was getting hungry last night Can this thread find a spot in the Important Topics sticky? The old one is listed in the Tactica Articles (Archive) as it was written for the old codex.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 01:32   #12 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is an awesome article. I even indirectly mentioned with my JSJ article

The only thing I have slight issue with is the army list. We not instead of giving the stealth suits a marker drone, beef up the drone squad to six? Or do two of the six drones go on the devilfish. If so, you might want to distinguish between that. Other than that, an amazing article for beginners. I wish I had this back when I started Tau, but then, everybody was starting Tau, so :P

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 01:37   #13 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
This is an awesome article. I even indirectly mentioned with my JSJ article

The only thing I have slight issue with is the army list. We not instead of giving the stealth suits a marker drone, beef up the drone squad to six? Or do two of the six drones go on the devilfish. If so, you might want to distinguish between that. Other than that, an amazing article for beginners. I wish I had this back when I started Tau, but then, everybody was starting Tau, so :P

Cheers!
Ah, the aim was to use everything in the box. The set comes with 6 Gun Drones, which is what I had the Gun Drone squadron at initially, then remembered two were needed on the Devilfish. So that's why it's at 4. I'll add a note in saying the DF has Gun Drones.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 19:54   #14 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the sky ray comes with hammerhead wepons? ???

You really shouldn't drag up topics over three months old unless you have something relevant to add. –RZ
Old 01 Jul 2009, 20:25   #15 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

This article is great and has helped me make the decision to roll with the Tau Empire. Thanks for all the advice and general wisdom you have shown through this topic. Great job and happy gaming, Brandon
Old 01 Jul 2009, 20:32   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Hmm New40kplaya

look up at The pust above your especially the note in italic by RZ

What you did is threadomancy which is to mean, you rose a dead topic for no good reason really and this is seriously frown upon...could even lead to smites (not in this case though, since this is your first offence).

I would recommend that you read the rules of the forum to avoid similar faux-pas in the future.

Also: Flag for lock.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Old 01 Jul 2009, 20:35   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

Boneguard is right.

"I'm sorry, sir, I have to ask you to put down your keyboard and step away from that thread..."

~Locked
Closed Thread