Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV81 set up
Old 04 Nov 2007, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default XV81 set up

With the Forge World model, XV81, does any one have any ideas for it's set up? I want to set a Shas'el up with an XV81, A.S.S and an AFP. It appears that it'll be really well, having two weapons that don't need line of sight. Just give it Iridium Armour, Stimulant Injectors and a Hard-wired Drone Controller with two Shield Drones to increase it's survivability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2007, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: XV81 set up

My copy of IA3 doesn't allow my XV81 to be fitted with an AFP or an A.S.S. :-[ Can you PM the rules that you have that allow them? I've been wanting to field that config ever since I first read about the 81!
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2007, 05:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

There really isn't any rule saying that he can or can't. The IA3 came out before the Tau Empire codex, and the XV81 can only be taken as a Shas'o or Shas'el. And in the codex, says that any XV variant that can take a hard point option can take one from the list in the Armoury. So it's assumed that a Shas'o or Shas'el that's equipped with the XV81 variant would have access to the armoury, and there for could take the A.S.S and the AFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
(\_/) This is bunny.
Old 05 Nov 2007, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd have to say that that sounds like a pretty good set up TipTop1987. The only trouble being that being so close to the enemy would invite getting drawn into assault.
Old 05 Nov 2007, 12:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
The only trouble being that being so close to the enemy would invite getting drawn into assault.
But to my understanding, both weapons don't require line of sight (The AFP being a guess weapon and the SMS just saying it doesn't).

Quote:
(\_/) This is bunny.
Old 05 Nov 2007, 12:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The rules for the XV81 clearly state that both Hardpoints must be filled with weapons, which precludes the taking of the A.S.S. Also, it clearly states which weapon options are available to command variant suits, and the AFP is not one of them. It's a bummer! I wish it would get FAQ'ed. Although I suppose if you can get your opponent's permission it'd be ok.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2007, 22:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
I wish it would get FAQ'ed. Although I suppose if you can get your opponent's permission it'd be ok.
I wonder if shooting an e-mail to FW about it would do anything. It may be that the rules for the newer weapons weren't ready when the FW book was made, so they just listed the regular optoins.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 02:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes... It appears that you're right. You can't give it the A.S.S. Though, you can give it the AFP. It is a weapon after all.

Quote:
(\_/) This is bunny.