Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau army needing work.
Closed Thread
Old 25 Mar 2005, 10:36   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Tau army needing work.

SIGAFH is my favourite tactic... but it never works for Tau. Shame really...

So, in the hopes of fielding a Tau army that won't be annihilated in assault by turn 4, here's my new list:

HQ:
Shas'El Bor'kan Kauyon:
Missile Pod, TL Burst Cannon, Hard-Wired Multi-tracker, Hard-Wired Drone Controller with 2 Shield Drones.
128pts.

Shas'El Bodyguard:
2 Shas'Vre with Missile Pod, TL Burst Cannons and Hard-Wired Multi-trackers.
172pts.

ELITES:
Stealth Team J'kaara:
6 Steath Suits with Shas'Vre (markerlight). Squad is Bonded.
210pts.

Crisis Suit N'Dras:
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker.
85pts.

TROOPS:
Fire-team Kovash:
12 Fire Warriors with Shas'Ui. All armed with Pulse Rifles. Squad is Bonded.
140pts.

Fire-team Kauyon:
12 Fire Warriors with Shas'Ui. Half have Pulse Carbines. Squad is Bonded. Mounted on a Devilfish.
220pts.

Fire-team Au'Taal:
12 Fire Warriors with Shas'Ui. Half have Pulse Carbines. Squad is Bonded. Mounted on a Devilfish.
220pts.

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Hammerhead:
Ion Cannon, Smart Missile System, Target Lock.
145pts.

Broadside Ukos:
Shas'Ui with Shield Generator.
90pts.

Broadside Mal'Caor:
Shas'Ui with Shield Generator.
90pts.

Total: 1,500pts.

Basic battle-plans with the list involve moving around as much as possible, and pumping an obscene amount of Burst-Cannon fire into anything that moves. Stealth Suits can Markerlight important targets for one of the Broadsides... with a bit of luck. Failing that, just Markerlight a target for his own squad, and give him a Bs 5 lacky for a turn.

Team Kovash is an anchor-point, as are the Broadsides. Everything else keeps moving, and works to stop said anchors coming under attack from enemy assaults.

Right, that's the list and basic tactics... comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Mar 2005, 11:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau army needing work.

Iwould get rid of the body gaurds, and have a shas'el with twin linked fusion blaster, missile pod, h w multi tracker, thats about 92 points of tank killing fury ;D, and it is 208 points less, other than that it is a good list.

coun'bei
Old 25 Mar 2005, 12:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

I would take the ML of the stealths, It takes away from there fast and mobile perpose by giving then a heavy weapon, and if you want to keep it give the 'vre a target lock so his squad does not havve to fire at a tank he has lit up for the broadsides, but i say scrap the ML, But your force does look quite strong though a HH w/ rail is needed for submuntions which are very nasty
Old 25 Mar 2005, 13:11   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Hammerhead Railgun is the Tau noob-gun. Everyone takes it, despite the fact that everything it does can be done better by other, tougher units.

It's as bad as the IG Basilisk...

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Mar 2005, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Jonathan

well if you don't like it fine , however i think its a big mistake. The chance to put an ordenance template on a squad of men hitting on a 3 (if MLit then on a 2) wounding most men in the unit on a 3 and (if your lucky) no armor save and in the case of IG armys or ork armys a submunitions round in the centre of a kaserkin unit or an or nob unit can cause huge amounts of damage, and with a mutli-tracker you can move 12" and fire it, very few guns have such advantages
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

i agree, the railgun is AMAZING...i'd take it

a few more suggestions:
drop the shield drones. If your commander is an IC he usually can't be targeted anyway if you DROP THE BODYGUARD!!! just put 'em with your other crisis suit...it'd work MUCH better
plus, if you can, i'd outfit all your crisis suits 'fireknife' (plasma rifle, missile pod, and multi-tracker)
i'd drop the carbines for the fish-mounted squads; they really don't help; they take away a lot form the FOF tactic and usually won't cause pinning anyway
you probably won't need bonding.
with those extra points you'll probably have enought to give your crisis suits 'fireknife'
drop the markerlight on the stealths; mobility is key for them; if you want markerlights, get PFs

hope that helps
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 25 Mar 2005, 14:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Wargamer:

I like the list and I like the names. My only gripe is the twin-linked burst cannons, simply because I feel they're better and cheaper when found on an XV15 isntead. Crisis suits have plentiful access to great weaponry, and instead of burtcannons I would have taken the fusion blaster twin-linked (or plasma, but I think you're avoiding that for the same reason as the railhead). Otherwise, I'd take bonding and markerlights off of your XV15 team as well. I would also get a mult-tracker on your Hammerhead to keep her moving quickly. Otherwise, everything else looks in order to me.

For tactics, who are you playing? You say you're seeing assault doom by the end of turn 4? To me, I'm guessing that you charge close to the enemy to fire at them in full, but it doesn't wipe them out and you end up in pickle with assault?
Old 25 Mar 2005, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Usual opponents tend to be Marines (suprise suprise :), Tyranids and Orks.

Ion cannon and Broadsides will mop up Power Armour nicely, and I've even out-assaulted Marines with Crisis Suits. Orks and Tyranids, however, prove a bugger: either I get hit by the big stuff, or swamped by little stuff. This list, I hope, can dish it out well to both.

Also, my local Ork player is evilly good with rolling, and I have learnt the best way to take him out is to hit him with as many shots as possible... hence lots of Burst Cannons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth_cat_xv15
drop the shield drones. If your commander is an IC he usually can't be targeted anyway if you DROP THE BODYGUARD!!! just put 'em with your other crisis suit...it'd work MUCH better
My opponents have to take out the Drones before they can hurt the squad. I want these guys hurling as much fire into the enemy as I can, and the Drones will help protect from counterattack (especially AP 3 counterattack...).
Quote:
plus, if you can, i'd outfit all your crisis suits 'fireknife' (plasma rifle, missile pod, and multi-tracker)
1) I want unique units.
2) If I want beardy, I'll play Dwarves.

Quote:
i'd drop the carbines for the fish-mounted squads; they really don't help; they take away a lot form the FOF tactic and usually won't cause pinning anyway
I want to keep the Carbines, as the potential for pinning I enjoy (I've pinned an entire Marine army once with my Guard... pinning works). I rarely use them, but they seem to serve me well. I'd have to consider whether they stay or not (the army is meant for 3rd and 4th edition battles, and Carbines are much better in 3rd).

Quote:
you probably won't need bonding.
Perhaps... I might take it out of some units.

Quote:
with those extra points you'll probably have enought to give your crisis suits 'fireknife'
See earlier comments. Fireknife is not an option.

Quote:
drop the markerlight on the stealths; mobility is key for them; if you want markerlights, get PFs
IIRC, Markerlight has a 36" range... twice that of the Burst Cannon. There is value in keeping it; Stealths won't always be engaging close-quarter, especially if I get the first turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
well if you don't like it fine , however i think its a big mistake. The chance to put an ordenance template on a squad of men hitting on a 3 (if MLit then on a 2) wounding most men in the unit on a 3 and (if your lucky) no armor save and in the case of IG armys or ork armys a submunitions round in the centre of a kaserkin unit or an or nob unit can cause huge amounts of damage, and with a mutli-tracker you can move 12" and fire it, very few guns have such advantages
If I want to blow the hell out of an entire squad with a single pie-plate, I'll use my Guard. The Hammerhead Railgun is just a cheap attempt at combining the Griffon Mortar and Turbo-Laser Destroyer. Only a total noob would let a tank like that survive beyond turn 2. By giving it the Ion Cannon, it becomes less recognisable as a threat (you rarely see the gun), and so my opponents will second-guess its value. I want a unique vehicle, not a cheap Russ knock-off.

Quote:
Old 25 Mar 2005, 18:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Basic battle-plans with the list involve moving around as much as possible, and pumping an obscene amount of Burst-Cannon fire into anything that moves. Stealth Suits can Markerlight important targets for one of the Broadsides... with a bit of luck. Failing that, just Markerlight a target for his own squad, and give him a Bs 5 lacky for a turn.
One point: You can't markerlight for a member of the same squad.

Also, keep in mind that the MLs are heavy, so no moving in the Move phase before firing them. You are allowed to ML and get your free Assault phase move however, but be very aware of range to the enemy for avoiding assault as XV15s are bloody expensive guys to get beaten up in a brawl.

The Carbines are shorter range and I think that you only need about 2-3 anyway. However, most armies have LD capable of passing that Pinning test, so you're better off usually just sticking with the Plasma rifle. I speak from experience here - I tried Carbines and came up short all too often. Swap the MLs from the XV15s to the anchor FW unit at least and then that Shas'ui can ML for one Broadside all he wants. Deploy them together as a fire team or appart for confusing split fire augmentation. They won't be moving anyway and this frees up the XV15s to do their best Jetpack attack manuvering (hop to w/i 18", shoot, hop back to 24" and/or out of LOS).
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 25 Mar 2005, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'll take that onboard... updating the list now.

Quote:
Closed Thread