Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Utilizing O'Shovah
Old 02 Nov 2007, 22:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Utilizing O'Shovah

I am considering expanding my current Tau force into FE but I have a few questions about O'Shovah.

1. Do those of you that have played with O'Shovah feel that he is worth the points he is listed at? Why or why not?

2. Is Farsight actually good in CC or is the Dawn Blade overrated? If he gets into CC, will he be stuck for the rest of the game or can he perform so that he will do more?

3. Do you feel that the restrictions for FE are too limiting, or just make for a greater challenge?

I guess that's all I have, but I would appreciate your answers.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 22:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Utilizing O'Shovah

I haven't played FE personally, but I plan to as well...

Personally I think it's hilarious to pump 1000+ pts in just your HQ squad XP (Farsight, 7x 'vre, 1x 'el (joins))

as for the CC... I wouldn't have good ol'Shova charge any squad if it's not at least below 50%...

FE brings a lot of restrictions, but Suits have always been the most versatile unit in the Tau army. Personally I'm happy to not run as many vehicles and spam suits up the wazoo.

those are just my thoughts though.
Old 02 Nov 2007, 22:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I also plan on playing with O'Shovah; although I wish he counted as the 1+ commander for the army. As for how good he is; I think being able to take a unit that's 8 XV8 strong into a fight is amazing. You can really utilize the hard points to suit the model's needs, and still be able to take the hard-wired systems. Not to mention you can get free Bonding Knifes for the unit. And the restrictions force you to try and fill out the other options before going to what works. It makes you re-think your tactics and become better at strategy. I mean, any one can come to the table with three Railheads, but rarely do you see one of each of the heavy supports on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 00:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I am aware of what O'Shovah can do and take, I am looking for in game experience to gauge how he is as a Commander on the table.

Free Bonding Knives appeal to me - if you consider that you could take that point cost off, making Farsight one of the cheapest characters in the game.

4 units of Fire Warriors, 2 Crisis Units, 1 Broadside unit and all of a sudden O'Shovah's "actual" cost is 100 points - pretty good for what you get.

If there are players out there that swear by using him, I would like to hear from you and why you stand by Farsight that much.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 01:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I've never used him myself, but I've seen him used once or twice, and each time, the person using him was too eager to try him into CC, and though O'Shovah didn't die, all those points were wasted in CC, where all those points spent on plasma rifles, missile pods, and what not were all wasted. If you want to use him to charge, fill up the bodyguard with Flamers, Black Sun Filters and possibly an AFP. Otherwise, keep him and his entourage out of combat.

And on a side note, to get those free bonding knives, you generally have to pay an additional 5 points to be able to get access to the Bonding Knives. It's only a bonus if you were going to be using them anyways.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmm...
Are you allowed to give O'Shavah extra wargear, or is he stuck with what he has?
Old 03 Nov 2007, 05:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I don't think I should mention that characters cannot change wargear as it would be a violation of GW's top-secret IP re-education program. Oh no, I've said too much!

*goes to the door*
I must be off.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 05:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah,

I've used Farsight a bit in 4th edition, but he was my baby in 3rd...

(1,2)He's a bit overcosted for his abilities... I suppose he's nice but the versatility is lost when compared to an 'El. He is in no way a close combat monster and will normally get smacked around by any squad of MEqs. The Dawn Blade is a single S5 power weapon in a sea of guys with mediocre to poor close combat effectiveness... nothing special.

The much talked about command squad size isn't really a big selling point either. More suits can be taken in Elite slots and they are separate scoring units that can target different units, and they're all around cheaper as well. The only benefit for a Farsight squad is each suits ability to take hardwired systems. The squad can be buffered to an extreme extent with drones or every guy can have a targeting array without worrying about hardpoints.

(3)The army list isn't too restricting, except that it stops you from using the run of the mill Mech set up. With Broadsides being unrestricted and most other units having the ability to be taken (even with few numbers) the list simply begs for a different playing style. You can play a great Shield Drone Suit list, one that is arguably more competitive nowadays then Mech and simply replace one of the 'Els with Farsight and have a strong list.

Also as said before, Bonding Knives are only a bonus in case you are already buying the squad leader upgrade...

All this being said, he's fun to use, if nothing else. His 'kill team' while not great is a blast to pop out and scare the enemy with. I would either take a full squad, or a half sized bodyguard. Any real configuration, but it's best if 75% of the unit matched itself.

(I'm writing this with a few drinks in me, so please don't mind the poor grammer! )
Old 03 Nov 2007, 05:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks, Trafalgar. ^^

My friend and co-commander recently bought an O'Shovah model after hearing a nasty rumour that it would soon be discontinued, except through direct order. We haven't fielded him yet, mostly because my friend hasn't finished painting and assembling him. However, the sheer aura of bad-assness that the model exudes is bound to make your opponent roll badly. ~.^

Anyway, he certainly looks good on paper, and, although we don't plan to switch over to a Farsight Enclaves army completely, we're working on some fluff so we can use him and some other units painted with the Enclaves colours in Apocolypse games along with our regular forces. It's also come to my attention that, with his bodyguard size, the 12 Crisis that we own isn't looking like so many anymore... :funny:
Old 03 Nov 2007, 05:48   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

As has been said, playing O'Shovah limits your army list. You could still play a strong Hybrid list within the O'Shovah restrictions, though. If I'm not mistaken, Hammerheads, Skyrays, and Broadsides are all 0-1 in his army, so you could very well field both BASS and a Railhead, and support them both with Skyray Markerlights.

Of course, the biggest part of O'Shovah is the fact that you can take so many bloody battlesuits. Although expensive, he can pile in a 7-man retinue, meaning you could very well field 19 Crisis Suits. Outside of Appocalypse, good luck with that.

Personally, of the three special characters in the Tau Empire, I favor O'Shovah the least. Shadowsun is a cool character to play, provided you have the points. After all, her C&C drone have effects similar to that of an Ethereal, but without the "everybody take a LD test if I die" drawback. And she has two Fusion Blasters to boot.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote