Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau in team games: How do you fare?
Old 02 Nov 2007, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau in team games: How do you fare?

Hey all,

This post is to bring up a bit of a problem I've noticed. My Tau in team games are MUCH more dependent on my ally than my other two armies. It seems that if your ally knows your strategy, and is willing to work in tandem with you, you can slaughter the enemy. But if you get a teammate who runs off on his own you are very screwed. Also, double the anti-tank firing at my hammerheads is not fun. It seems very conditional on my teammate. My Death Guard & BTs seem to do fine, whoever the teams are.

In 1v1 I slaughter everyone, I'm just not very confident in 2v2s. I had a 2v2 coming up tomorrow, but I can't decide to take my Death Guard or my Tau. My teammate is Eldar and he wants me to take. Hethinks we'll do fine so I'll probably go with them. We have a strategy ready and I think it'll do extremely well. :P

With that said, on to my question: do you all feel like your Tau perform worse in team games?
Old 02 Nov 2007, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Tau in team games: How do you fare?

Actually I think that Tau perform very well in team games. I played an Apocalypse game recently, 2v2, and my mech tau did very well with the other guy's Dark Angels and IG treads+Baneblade. My Tau shot everything all over the board, and he took care of flank marchers and other units that tried to get into CC. Depending on whether you play static/hybrid/mech, I think a good complimentary force is very helpful for Tau.

But of course, the key is teamwork. If the other guy is just going to do his own thing, then I think Mech Tau still do pretty well because of the survivability of tank skimmers, but it's hard to stop the other guy from giving away VPs and making stupid maneuvers that block your LOS, etc.

Personally, I think Eldar and Tau would work nicely together, as long as your armies were themed in tandem. Mech Eldar + Mech Tau would equal a lot of headaches for most of the army types out there.

Good luck!

Angelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2007, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well my teammate is Guardian-based. He's mobile shooting as well. Just not mech.
Old 02 Nov 2007, 23:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ew. Guardians. :-)

What is he fielding besides guardians? Also, what do you plan on running so far?

I used to have a guardian heavy Eldar army that I didn't play much(or paint), but the Dire Avengers always seemed like a more competitive choice, unless you're making a Avatar + Guardian Storm.
Angelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 03:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I just recently had a 2vs2 and my side one even though my team mate was new and my enemy played even longer than me. We didn't really depend on each other we just agreed before hand on some objectives and if in game we needed something, all you have to do is communicate.

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 04:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It's like:

Eldrad

3 Units of Guardians w/ a Scatter Laser & Warlock with the re-roll leadership thing (Embolden?)

2 Vypers

2 Wraithlords

Wave Serpent w/ Dire Avengers

10 Banshees

I've got:

2 Shas'els (Fireknives or Helios)

2 Deathrains

2 Burning Eyes

4 Stealth Suits

2 Devilfish (12 fire warriors & decked out w/ SMS etc)

6 Gun Drones (points leftover)

3 Ionheads (would be 2 railheads & 1 ionhead, but I dropped the 2 railguns to Ion Cannons since I don't need the railguns, and then I added the drones)

But anyway, even with my normal list, I tend to find it hard to get a good teammate. Maybe because I don't play well with marines as an ally.
Old 03 Nov 2007, 10:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think tau can do very well in a team game. Just today I was allied with Nidzilla in two seperate small games (1500 pt a side then 1000 pt a side) and we absolutely slaughtered our opponents.
It might be a good idea to share a force org chart if you play a small game.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 11:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't know.

I tend to be a lone wolf in team games because I never really take games that seriously to win all the time. Hence I make a rather poor ally, yet having said that the Tau are rather useful in team games because a battlesuit heavy army can really maximise team elites and working together with Terminators, Warriors, Flyrants etc. you can roll up your opponents with one highly mobile force.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2007, 01:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau can do well in team games if they are supported. Tau and IG really aren't that useful, because nobody has any assault capability, and guard shooting sometimes isn't what it is. However, Mech Tau and Mech Eldar is a completely amazing and BS combo. If both armies are used by competent players, then there is no force that can stand up to it, except possibly two nidzilla armies. Team games are all about making good choices to support each other, and not going off on your own.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2007, 13:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have done Tau allied with IG, SM and horde-Tyranids. I am quite static, and I killed most enemies before they even got in IG's range. Those that did were torn apart by lascannons.
With space marines we thrashed because they were great in combat, sweeping my kill-zone for survivors.
We tyranids I lost though as they engaged the enmey in combat so I couldn't fire. Eventually the sheer amount of dead tyranids meant a loss.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote