Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Carbines or Rifles?
Old 01 Nov 2007, 13:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Carbines or Rifles?

Hi

I'm new to Tau and am slowly building up my army one unit at a time. For my next unit I will be getting some fire warriors and would like to know people's opinion of whether to include carbines or not. I would either inlcude a few carbines + rifles, all carbines or no carbines.

Before people start posting about the rules benefits etc, I am looking at this from an appearences point of view only. I don't currently own the codex, nor have I looked at it. I will eventually buy it but I am working on this army as a modelling project first and an army to use second.

Thanks for any help

Mods: If this should really be in the hobby section then please move it there but I thought it was more related to the army itself than any of the hobby sections.
halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 14:43   #2 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Carbines or Rifles?

Well in that case its entirely down to which one you prefer the look of

Most people use the rifles because rules wise they're generally considered better because of the range. I actually do like the look of the carbines, but I definatly prefer the pathfiner ones with the barrel mounted markerlight (which also looks like a funky gunsight), but outside of a pathfinder squad I doubt I'd ever arm a squad this way.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I will eventually be adding a pathfinder squad so I suppose I could include them then.

I just thought that having seen a few units where 3 or 4 models had them I wondered what the general consensus was regardign how they looked in the unit.
halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 15:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbarad
I will eventually be adding a pathfinder squad so I suppose I could include them then.

I just thought that having seen a few units where 3 or 4 models had them I wondered what the general consensus was regardign how they looked in the unit.
they do look gd in a mixed unit,but i wouldnt mix them in with rifles as your probs gonna have your rifles at max distance away from the enemy as carbines have shorter distance than the rifles i would use them on a squad of 8-12 in a devilfish just my opinion but im a newb myself haveing only played twice with my tau
Old 01 Nov 2007, 15:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm more preferential towards carbines for look, but only for the commanders.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 15:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via Yahoo to kruxigore

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbarad

honestly, i don't like the look of a mixed weapon squad (personally). i think carbines look great in a dedicated squad (all members have them). in fact that is where i am headed with my own FW. i'm planning for 2- 12 man squads w/rifles and 1- 12 man squad w/carbines.
however if you like the look of them mixed together go for it. if your not sure get some silly putty or blu tac and pre-assemble five or six and mix up the weapons in any proportion you like. then at least you can look at it before you commit.

hope this helps
Old 01 Nov 2007, 17:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use some carbines because I like to move and still get some shots off, They have proved themselves in a game where the unit was falling back and my 3 carbine armed warriors managed to destroy a bike that would've ripped the unit apart next turn
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 17:39   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Has anyone tried an army of Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Carbines? A mobile footslogging army... kind of like Dire Avengers with a tiny fraction of the shots. I'm wondering how well this would work or not.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 17:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think Vash gives all his warriors carbines, he is usually around the hobby forum making other peoples models look bad
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 18:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well the rifle VS Carbine choice might depends on the orientation you wish to give your army.

Static army would, more then likely, be better off with rifle to take adavantage of it's range...and you don't assault so you don't have to worry about the Rapid Fire hindering assault

With a mobile/closer range force then the carbine could be a better option since you can shoot and assault (not that I recommend this with Tau.

I would not recommend a mix squad since you kind of lose some of the benefit of both. Personally I went with 2 squad of rifle and 1 squad of carbine(which can double as my honour Guard, if i field my ethereal)...a healthy mix IMO.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote